Search results

1. JB412

Best fitting for connecting to polybutylene plumbing

I am in the process of replacing portions of polybutylene water lines in my house with Sharkbite PEX tubing. Sharkbite makes two transition pieces for doing this. One is a push-on fitting and the other is a barbed PEX fitting, that uses the crimped rings. I've purchased both of these and...
  2. JB412

Leaking Fitting

Yeah, all fixed and ready to move on to the demolition of the powder room. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Only had one leak after the final repair and that was because I missed soldering one of the joints. Funny how much of a difference it makes when you add solder to a joint!
  3. JB412

Leaking Fitting

When I removed the 2x4 brace, I found the leak to be at a very poorly done solder joint at the elbow (see red circled elbow in attached pic). I also discovered that the copper fitting into the valve body is soldered to the body, which prevents me from re-doing with pex line. So my new plan is...
  4. JB412

Leaking Fitting

Well it looks like removing the 2x4 brace isn't an option. I removed the faucet trim on the shower side and there is only a 2 inch dia. hole through the fiberglass which just fits the chrome cover on the valve. At this point I'm thinking of putting in a ball valve on the leaking side and...
  5. JB412

Leaking Fitting

Gary, thanks for your response. I agree that the gates valves need to go, but I was hoping to avoid replacing at this time since they do function. Would it be possible to re-do the leaking side without removing the 2x4 that the valve is mounted on, like all from the front of the valve (in the...
  6. JB412

Leaking Fitting

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on the best way to fix a leaking copper elbow at a shower. I tapped into the water line of a basement shower to feed new pex lines to a powder room above the shower. In the process, I developed a leak at one of the existing elbows (please see...
  7. JB412

Foam gasket for shower light fixture?

Amateurplumber1, I was looking at a post you made in July about having removed the subfloor under your shower and questioning how to brace the studs for nailing the subfloor patch. In your initial post, you included a picture of the situation but the link no longer works for the pic. I'm...
  8. JB412

Bathtub Drain problem

Rather than taking a chance on screwing things up, I decided to hire a plumber to remedy this situation. He'll be coming in the morning. This bathroom is adjacent to a second bathroom which I have the walls torn out of in prep for making a tiled shower. So I believe sufficient access from the...
  9. JB412

Bathtub Drain problem

I have a bathtub that had a corroded drain flange that I wanted to replace. The drain piece is also missing the crosshairs. I bought a drain key from Lowes (the only one I could find) that is nothing more than a hunk of tapered metal with knurled sides and a 1/2" socket fitting on top...
  10. JB412

Soldering Near PEX, Polybutylene

Thanks for the responses Terry and dj2. I never even thought that the tubing might be PB, but looking at the marking I see that it is. In searching on the internet for polybutylene it sounds like I should seriously consider replacing all of it. Is that something you would typically recommend...
  11. JB412

Soldering Near PEX, Polybutylene

I need to replace my tub/shower faucet and ran into an issue that I'm not sure how to deal with. After removing a portion of the back wall I discovered that my house has PEX lines up to a copper end connection. I've never dealt with PEX before. Is it safe to solder close to this stuff? I'll...
  12. JB412

Lavatory Drain

I am helping my son in law install a bathroom in his basement that was plumbed with drain and water lines when the house was built 2 years ago. The toilet and tub were no problem. Where I do have a problem is with the drain for the lavatory. The floor drain is centered between the water...
  13. JB412

Bathroom Drain Problem - Please Help!

OK, first thanks for the responses. From reading the responses (esp. HJ's) it sounded to me like the best option was to do some cutting on the wall. So, that's what I did. I searched the big box stores trying to find this fitting (I think it's called a Double sanitary reducing tee) but was...
  14. JB412

Bathroom Drain Problem - Please Help!

Hi all, I'm hoping for some advice that will save me much time and effort. I removed a vanity from an upstairs bathroom in hopes of replacing it with a pedestol sink. In setting up the new sink I discovered that the existing drain pipe was about an inch too long from the wall, and needed to...
  15. JB412

Shower Valve Vibrates Pipes

I ran into a problem that has me stumped. After 15 years, the faucet in my fiberglass shower unit needed replaced. After much searching, I finally found one for which the valve was about the same size as the old one, only about an inch wider. For the old one, the water lines came up from the...
  16. JB412

4 Bolt Toilet

OK HJ, I will give it a shot setting the toilet with bolts into the concrete floor. I'm familiar with lead anchors, but what are AJ's? Thanks for all the responses. JB
  17. JB412

4 Bolt Toilet

Based on popular opinion, it seems like best choice would be to forget about a toilet here and plug the drain hole. There are 2 other toilets in the house and this is a rental, so I'm not keen on spending a lot of time or money on fixing the basement one, however tempting it is to take HJ's...
  18. JB412

4 Bolt Toilet

OK, in removing the old toilet, the 4 threaded studs simply broke off. In lifting the toilet, I discover that there is no flange. Instead, there is a terra cotta elbow that is cut off flush with the floor. The old toilet had a flange on the bottom that extended about 1/2 - 1 inch beneath the...
  19. JB412

4 Bolt Toilet

In an old house I'm remodeling, I came across something I've never seen before. The toilet I need to replace in the basement has 4 bolts holding it down (see attached pic). Is it possible to replace this with a 2 bolt toilet? I'm afraid to remove this thing if what I'm going to see underneath...
  20. JB412

Removing a Bathtub

Thanks for all of the advice. I ended up cutting across the bottom with an abrasive blade on my my circ saw and finishing the last couple of inches with the sawzall. I need more practice with the angle grinder before feeling comfortable with it.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks