Search results

1. foghat35

pvc thread repair

Hello all. Two of the threads of a pvc valve housing for my pool have stripped out. I read that to repair it fill the hole with epoxy and drill a new hole. Any recommendations for the epoxy? The only one I can find that's sold near me is Loctite Plastix Bonder Epoxy. Not sure if it's any good...
  2. foghat35

Wall mount sink

I'm putting in a wall mount sink and was going to cut the wall out to install blocking. I thought it was 1/4" wainscoting on top of 1/2" drywall but it turns out to be 1/2" plywood instead. The sink weighs 28lbs. Could 1/4" toggles work with this?? thanks
  3. foghat35

trying to make this work

Thanks but none of the supply stores I called have chrome 1/2" unions on the hoses. I'm just going to put two 3/8" hoses together. I bought brass 3/8" compression unions that are usually used to couple 3/8" solid risers. Is this what is normally used to connect flexible supply hoses? They seem...
  4. foghat35

trying to make this work

It's a wall hung sink. Using the coupling and another flexible supply would be acceptable if I could get a chrome plated coupling. It might be the only way to do it short of getting another sink and faucet.
  5. foghat35

trying to make this work

I ran into somewhat of a problem with a bath remodel I'm helping with. They ordered a single hole sink with a matching faucet that has 17" flexible supply hoses already connected deep in the faucet. The problem is that the stops are at floor level so the connectors are over a foot short...
  6. foghat35

trap alternative

The vent situation I hadn't figured out yet. I wanted to try and fit an aav in somewhere. Rebuilding a s-trap with a vent would be great if I could do it with chromed brass.
  7. foghat35

trap alternative

Come to think of it, isn't it true that the only reason s-traps are still available is for replacement in older homes that had them as part of the original plumbing?
  8. foghat35

trap alternative

I can't send a pic but this is easy to understand. This is a tiny bathroom. By tiny I'm talking 10 sq ft. The origional sink is only 15.5 x 12.5" deep and the pipes come up through the floor right beneath it. The drain pipe is only 4" inches from the wall. It's so tight that the s-trap is folded...
  9. foghat35

trap alternative

Hello all. I'm replacing a sink in a downstairs bath. It has a s-trap that I'm also replacing. Is there any alternative to an s-trap besides a p-trap?? A p-trap is not possible in this situation. thanks
  10. foghat35

compressions

Either you have no problems or one after the other. This is a "one after the other week" for me. One of the compressions I replaced started to weep yesterday so I removed it and found a small indentation in the pipe right where the ferrule seats. Just my luck. I took care of it by cutting the...
  11. foghat35

compressions

Just curious if any of the pros avoid particular brands of compressions valves due to problems? I've put compressions on lots of times without a hitch but got my butt kicked today by a couple of the cheaper valves sold at the big box stores (not Brasscraft). Weeping wouldn't stop unless you went...
  12. foghat35

Broken flange

Thanks but unfortunately the pipe is 3" so no reaming. About 90 degrees of the pvc is cracked around the mounting ring and then drops down almost an inch towards soil pipe. It's a total loss. For the time being I'll use a wax free fluidmaster until I decide what to do. What really gets me though...
  13. foghat35

Broken flange

I pulled out my ground floor toilet because of a slight leak to replace the wax ring and found a diy disaster. The pvc flange busted right where it enters the drain pipe, probably from overtightening the johnny's and was fixed with what looks like half a tube of silicone that recently failed...
  14. foghat35

doesn't look right

Saw this yesterday in a bathroom remodel. Bathroom being remodeled is next door to another full bath and sinks are back to back. Plumbing for the sinks is a 45 double wye on a 3" pipe that runs 6' to vent stack. All horizontal. That's it. I'm assuming the plumber will put 45s on each side of wye...
  15. foghat35

pedestal leg

On a pedestal sink install could caulk be use to anchor the leg to the floor or does it have to be screwed? Thanks
  16. foghat35

cleaning old solder

The stub out for a stop valve I'm replacing is completely covered with solder. Blobs of solder everywhere for the full 3" of pipe. I'm putting on a compression valve so I have to get all this solder off. I plan on heating and wiping with a rag. Is there anything else you guys do to clean the...
  17. foghat35

pvc not bonding

You were right Rugged. I took a micrometer to it after I read your post and lo and behold, it's quite oval. How the hell does that happen?? I didn't notice it during dry fit but then again I was rushing a bit. Unfortunately chucking the pipe is not an option since I would have to tear another...
  18. foghat35

pvc not bonding

I went out and picked up a couple more fittings, new pvc cement and a banded coupling. I cut the pipe back and tried one more time with new cement and pvc coupling. No dice. I'm at a loss. I have just enough pipe left through the stud for a banded coupling. Even though a banded coupling will do...
  19. foghat35

pvc not bonding

I have put together dozens of pvc fittings and never had one not take until today. I'm replacing a trap adapter so the elbow had to come off. For some reason the pvc pipe I am attaching the new elbow to will not bond to the coupling. The cement is melting the coupling but not the drain pipe no...
  20. foghat35

possible cold joints

Thanks. Your probably right but I couldn't resist from going underneath the bathroom vanity where the other pipe work was done and taking off a section of drywall. The joints aren't the prettiest but they're not leaking. That's all I care about. The only thing I didn't like was the cold water...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks