Search results

1. TMB9862

Can THW wire be used underground in conduit?

I want to add a sub-panel to my detached garage about 50' away. I have a bunch of #6 wire I would like to use if I can. The black is marked "THW 600v". The red and white I have is marked "MTW - Type THW 600v. From what I've gathered a W in the wire designation means it is sutible for wet...
  2. TMB9862

Professional Service

How new are you? You need six or seven years of experience in most states before you can legally open a plumbing business.
  3. TMB9862

Which stop valve do I use?

Use a 3/8" or 1/2" IPS by 3/8 compression valve. Brass and copper pipe threads are the same size as iron pipe threads.
  4. TMB9862

Sched 40 or 30?

DWV has to be Sched 40
  5. TMB9862

What are these pipes?

Just about every commercial building here has a setup like that for the house trap vent. It's quite possible you ended up with two house traps for one reason or another over the past 100 years. Can you see any house traps in the basement?
  6. TMB9862

Quoting on Plumbing Services

I've worked in both fields and trust me, those auto manuals are probably about as accurate as the plumbing ones (I've never seen a plumbing one). They assume everything goes perfectly which of course it never does.
  7. TMB9862

Anyone here work in PA? Employment question

So you're from PA or know about it's laws then? I'm not looking to start my own business just yet, I'd be going to work for someone else. Right now I'm making pretty good money. I know it wouldn't be the same there as it is right outside NYC but can you still make $20/hr or so working for...
  8. TMB9862

Anyone here work in PA? Employment question

I live in NY right now and am considering a move to PA. I've been working for a plumbing company a few years now in NY and have a decent job. 1. I've heard you don't need a license to be a plumbing in PA, is that true? 2. If it is do you have every schmuck with a wrench running around...
  9. TMB9862

Buried fernco fitting

Inspectors here like to see cement under ferncos. You don't need a form or anything fancy, just a pile of cement.
  10. TMB9862

How many hours to change 6+ ft bathtub drain

If he is replacing your trip lever (tub open/close thing) and shower drain I'd say $800 is a good price.
  11. TMB9862

B-tank Acetylene ?

The tanks alone aren't worth much. If you have a decent torch setup on it it's probably worth $60-$100. More if you have extra tips.
  12. TMB9862

Natural gas piping in walls

We aren't allowed to use bushings at all here. I'm not really sure what the reason is. Reducing couplings, elbows, and tees are perfectly acceptable however. I'm sure it's the same where you are and I'm sure you can find a way to do it with one of those fittings. To weld the pipe you would...
  13. TMB9862

Wall mount sink sagging, trap no longer lines up

I have an old cast iron wall mounted sink in a rental. I got a call today that it was leaking and immediately noticed it sagging and the tail piece was at a bad angle. Upon further inspection the sink is still firmly mounted to the wall. The wall is actually out of whack. I really don't want...
  14. TMB9862

AAV installation

Do any of your fixtures have vents now or do they just run into a 4" stack which is vented? I would make sure everything is individually vented and tie everything into that 4" stack. No new roof penetrations necessary.
  15. TMB9862

Damaged due to water shut-off/turn-on in 1920 condo building

Yes it does. When filling a system do not just turn the valve to full on and let it rip. Crack it and let it fill slowly. His advice of keeping a faucet open probably relates to soldering pipe and/or draining down.
  16. TMB9862

New Toy...

No idea what a 7.5 tank is. The ones I use are about 2ft high and 8in wide.
  17. TMB9862

New Toy...

I always figured a B tank costs about the same as two and a half tanks of MAPP gas, never actually done a comparison though. Do you really get more from those couple MAPP tanks then a B tank? As for propylene I've heard good things about it, it's supposed to burn hotter than MAPP and leave...
  18. TMB9862

sweating copper pipes

In an emergency situation like that you would typically crimp the pipe to stop or slow the water.
  19. TMB9862

Review my waste lines before I glue please

I have pretty much the same setup on my toilets (original 1918 cast iron) and it works fine. That doesn't mean it's the right way to do it though. If I ever re-did the plumbing you bet everything would get properly vented. I also have the old slow flushing 5gpf bowls which probably helps...
  20. TMB9862

New Toy...

I know someone who has one and loves it although I haven't personally seen or used it. I lug around a B tank for almost everything.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks