Search results

1. thegallery

Reconditioning a deck with rusted screws

My neighbor's deck seems to be OK except the builder used drywall screws! They are rusting. Some are backing out on their own, and some break when you try to remove them. Should we try to remove the screws we can, or try to sink them in? And if we sink in and the head breaks should we dig it...
  2. thegallery

Top Freezer working, Fridge is failing

Hi, not sure where to post this. I'm overseas with a US fridge, Whirlpool. The freezer is working the but the fridge failed and started getting warmer over a couple of days. A repair man came out and said the insulation at the back was finished and it was icing up back there. We defrosted it...
  3. thegallery

adding an outlet next to a switch - a bit confusing

Hi. I have a garage light switch that is 40 years old and failing. (please see photos). It's a 15amp circuit. The circuit also leads to two outlets upstairs. I know the line seems to be comfortable handling most of my shop tools because I’ve used an outlet on the circuit next to the garage...
  4. thegallery

faucet stem problem - semi urgent...

I just replaced two tap stems in one bath and figured a separate shower facet in an adjacent bath would be the same. I figured wrong! So I go to take out the whole stem but when I try turning the large brass nut at the back it doesn't move? I put a lot of force with a pipe wrench on it but no...
  5. thegallery

Indoor Grilling - downdraft - jenn air

I've always heard that indoor grilling needs to have a downdraft vent; is there a particular reason why? Jenn Air has pretty much dominated the market for indoor grill options and all their cook tops have downdraft vents. Mine doesn't seem to suck out the steam down that great. For all I...
  6. thegallery

bathroom wiring; one circuit?

I'm wiring a small bathroom I have: Hunter 100 CFM fan with 100watt light Saniflo Saniplus up-flush toilet. (think it is 7amp) (needs GFI circuit) One outlet by sink for blow dryer /shaver I'd like to send one line to the sink outlet which wold be GFI can make the rest of the...
  7. thegallery

Stabilizing a Knee Wall

My neighbor's house (exactly the same as mine) had cut out a large space between the kitchen and the dining room creating a knee wall. It's not super stable but you can lean on it and it feels pretty solid; I just wouldn't run into it. So I cut mine out the same way and I'm wondering if I...
  8. thegallery

How to block an unused vent

I have two bedrooms that are unused at the moment and for the winter I'd like to fully block their vents to retain as much heat as possible for the rest of the house. Would it be best just to take the vent covers off, lay fiberglass insulation over the top and push the cover back on? I can't...
  9. thegallery

Patio Door, Low E glass vs Clear glass

I have a patio door that gets direct sunlight around midday, but because of evergreen trees and a huge hill it's maybe only an hour a day. I want to replace the current patio door because the current one is 40 years old and my office desk is now right next to the glass. I sit 24" from it...
  10. thegallery

Washing Machine Ejection to deep sink is too fast

Anyone have a tip for slowing down the water ejecting from the washing machine into the deep sink? It shoots so fast and powerful that water covers the utility room floor. Is there some kind of diffuser that can be put over the end? Right now it's like a fire hose! Or is there a way to...
  11. thegallery

hot/cold shower imbalance

My buddy just replaced the entire spindle assembly on his shower faucet, both hot, cold, and the divider. All three spindles replaced. Yet he still has trouble with the temperature balance. Both hot and cold, individually, function correctly. They react properly to slight and full turns...
  12. thegallery

water pressure suddenly dies?

When you turn on the hot water in the deep sink in the basement it rushes out very powerful for about 5 seconds, then it violently knocks, and drops to about 1/4 of the pressure. If I open open the tap further the power returns and all is fine, but this violent knock is worrisome. It takes...
  13. thegallery

Three Sinks, One Drain?

I'm way ahead of myself, but I'm just buying a place that has a finished basement with a separate entrance. So I'm considering putting in a mini kitchen and bathroom as an 'in-law' suite. I'll have plenty of questions in this regard down the line... But right now I'm wondering if I can drain...
  14. thegallery

Access Plug to drain frozen

Hi, I have a plumbing problem, but before I can begin to figure out what it is I need access to the drain. But the large 4" plug is frozen on. It is an old cast iron plug with a square knob. I've tried spraying it with PB Blaster for 2 days, and tapped it 100 times, and put a large wrench on...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks