Search results

1. ngmtl

In Double Vanity Drain Challenges

Trying to convince the building to check the whole stack because unit below us has slow draining as well and we get positive pressure and water back up from our tie-in when the apt above us uses their water (fortunately the toilets, shower, etc. all seem to be on separate stacks but it's still...
  2. ngmtl

Venting Problems - How to Diagnose Positive vs. Negative Pressure

Didn't do a glove or balloon test with the toilet but with the pipe open I didn't hear any noise resonate from it after a flush, so it's likely a separate stack. Confines the problem but perhaps a toilet line would have had a wider pipe making a blockage less likely to begin with. More...
  3. ngmtl

Will try and run a flush and pressure test today - I think, but am not 100% sure, the toilets are on their own stack thankfully. Have not been having a problem there and don't recall any gurgling associated with flushing. With that said, I have things disconnected at the p-trap with a bucket...
  4. ngmtl

I'm going to see if I can rig up a 5' - 10' snake this afternoon to check for any obviously clogs between the tie-in and the stack.
  5. ngmtl

Just thinking about this a little more I think I answered my own question with a simple experiment. The experiment worked beautifully. Photo at the bottom of this message is where the right lav p-trap ties in (disconnected). Problem is absolutely positive pressure. Turn the water on in the...
  6. ngmtl

Name That Sink!

Got it and looks like both the pedestal sink and faucet match up with Perrin and Rowe or Rohl brand. Looks like we hit the jackpot! Thanks!
  7. ngmtl

From what I understand, it's generally safe to say that gurgling from a drain signals a venting issue. I'm looking for ideas to help diagnose which of two possibilities is in play. Feel free to suggest other possibilities that I have not considered. Possibility 1 - Negative pressure but with...
  8. ngmtl

Name That Sink!

A bit of a unique question here. We removed a nice pedestal sink as it didn't work with our new master bath layout and decided we can't make it work in our other bath. To make a long story short we're looking to identify the make and model of this sink as we're planning to sell or donate it...
  9. ngmtl

On further thought, I think the slow draining could be a positive pressure issue, which would also prevent the AAVs from opening...
  10. ngmtl

Terrible Sewer Gas Smell From Bathtub Drain, Stumped 3 Plumbers

Check the vent in the stack is not clogged, this would be an air clog not a water clog. If there is positive pressure or gas that can't make it out to vent on the roof, it could be bubbling up and escaping through your p-trap water. This is my theory, but may want to vet it with Terry or another...
  11. ngmtl

Thanks as always Terry! 1.) After looking and testing again, I think the drains are performing well enough. It's only if I turn on all four faucets at the same time, such that the supply exceeds the rate of the drain and the sinks fill up, that the left lav drains particularly slowly. Even in...
  12. ngmtl

Ran into a couple issues while testing out the drain configuration I came up with for a double vanity retrofit (Note: I had to make the decision early on to split the waste line in the vanity as opening up the plumbing wall to get dedicated lines into the stack was not practical [shared wall...
  13. ngmtl

Shimming a toilet - best way

Silicone has a major weakness that makes it easy to remove, at least if it's in bead form. Use a putty knife to score, cut and sheer it. I've done this to remove a marble slab from a vanity with ease. The only real challenge removing silicone that I've met thus far is having a thin bumpy layer...
  14. ngmtl

Showerhead Arm - How many turns

After cleaning the threads with WD40 and rewrapping the thread tape, I was able to go from 3 to 4 full turns. Optimistic we're solid now but it will be another few days before I can leak test it (waiting on parts).
  15. ngmtl

Why doesn't this 3/8" COMP tee have a washer in it? And should you use thread tape?

Thanks!, I also confirmed with Keeny today that their compression tee, despite lacking a washer, is supposed to form a compression seal, metal to metal without thread tape. And to be clear, they also agree that thread tape is counterproductive here.
  16. ngmtl

Why doesn't this 3/8" COMP tee have a washer in it? And should you use thread tape?

I purchased this 3/8" COMP Dual Outlet Tee: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Lead-Free-Add-A-Tee-Adapter-3-8-in-x-3-8-in-x-3-8-in/1000276665 Questions: 1. Why doesn't the female connector on the tee have a washer in it? 2. Since there is no washer, do I need to use thread tape to make a seal or...
  17. ngmtl

Cleaned the female threads with a toothbrush and WD40 and am going to re-wrap the shower head arm and try again in the next day or so.
  18. ngmtl

After installing new backer board and tile, I need to reinstall a shower arm for a heavy Moen rain shower head to the wall. Basically reassembling what was there before, the plumbing has not changed. I wrapped the threads with 3-5 wraps of teflon tape and started twisting the arm back into the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks