Search results

1. LukePDX

Wax-paper-like ribbon substance clogging showerhead filter

Yeah, all of the internal plumbing is relatively new PEX (3-4 years), and it's only showing up in this one place (three or four times now). I guess it could have been a large piece that just made its way through from the outside, and then got stuck and is slowly degrading in a nearby line. I...
  2. LukePDX

Yeah, I've been constantly looking at aerators and screens throughout the system and this one screen filter to the showerhead is the only place I keep finding this stuff. It's all macroscopic and the same material.
  3. LukePDX

Yeah, it's like a flimsy thin film of plastic or waxy paper. Not stiff at all. I guess the only option right now is to keep cleaning it out until something fails or it goes away. Thanks everyone.
  4. LukePDX

I guess it could be but is there any reason I'd only be seeing it make it's way to this one place in the house? I checked all the screens and this is the only one that has it.
  5. LukePDX

Yeah, it could be a plastic film. I'm just not sure what it's coming from though. It's not appearing in any other locations attached to the same system but is repeatedly showing up in this one location. I'm not sure how I go about dealing with it if it's not something obvious... do I just keep...
  6. LukePDX

I had to extract this ribbon-like substance from the filter going to my showerhead. Does anyone know what component it is coming from? 1. Noritz tankless water heater #NRCP1112-DVNG. 2. PEX piping with joints. 3. Hansgrohe mixing valve. 4. Something else? I haven't seen it appear in any...
  7. LukePDX

Pressure loss curves

Delightful. I guess that I need to get information from the valve manufacturer about this. Hopefully they have some competent people answering the phones.
  8. LukePDX

Pressure loss curves

Oh, interesting. I was envisioning running the input line into the Noritz unit through the potable water coil in order to preheat the groundwater when the master shower is running to reduce dT in that case, but you think that preheating the cold lines into the two shower mixing valves would make...
  9. LukePDX

Pressure loss curves

Oh, I ran into another one of your posts that discusses drainwater heat recovery. That seems like a great way to preheat the cold water when we have two showers running, (the downstairs shower in on the slab, but the master shower has 8ft to drop) which could really help with the worst-case...
  10. LukePDX

Pressure loss curves

I measured our current cold and hot temps at the existing shower head and get 40F on cold and 110 at preferred hot mix, which is right in the 70F dT range that you've described (I was looking at 80 dT for the unit set at 120F... I'm not sure if it's better to run the heater at 110 or 115, or to...
  11. LukePDX

Pressure loss curves

Thanks Jim. Certainly in the winter my 80 degree change in temperature is going to limit my system GPM (the unit I linked is marked as 4.7 GPM@80 dT. This is going to be right on the boundary for me to run two 2.5 GPM showers in the winter, but 80 dT is for 120 degrees and the showers will mix...
  12. LukePDX

Recirculation pump line length

I have a renovation of two 8x10 bathrooms on top of each other (8ft ceilings), serviced by one tank right next to lower bathroom. It's all conditioned space. I'm not 100% sure what the plumber plans, but I can't imagine a line longer than 32ft from the tank (probably the upstairs rain shower...
  13. LukePDX

Pressure loss curves

Nortiz publishes pressure loss curves for their products. I'm trying to understand the practical implications of this. For example, http://support.noritz.com/download.php?file=Literature Page/Spec Sheet/NRCP SPEC.pdf&field=SpecSheet. For the most part there appears to be a somewhat nonlinear...
  14. LukePDX

Any experience with the Noritz EZ111DVNG (GQ-C3259WX-FF US NG)?

About to embark on complete remodel of 2 bathrooms stacked on top of each other. Winter cold inlet temperatures in Portland are reported as 38 degree minimum, so I'm looking at 80-ish degree dT in the worst case. I need to run either two 2.5GPM concurrent showers or fill a 60-90 gallon tub...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks