Search results

1. Smith333

Fleck 5810SXT bizarre behavior

You know what, you nailed it Reach4. When I changed the settings I had changed the reserve capacity from safety factor (SF) to variable (cr) without realizing it. I just changed it back to safety factor and the "problem" disappeared. Thanks!
  2. Smith333

Thanks, I will contact their customer support and let you know how that goes.
  3. Smith333

Thanks, I just performed the factory reset and re-entered all of the settings, but the problem still persists. I fear that it has somehow been corrupted. It's not even 2 years old!
  4. Smith333

A few weeks ago I changed some master settings on my softener's Fleck 5810SXT. The next day, I noticed that the "gallons remaining" on the display was 10 gallons HIGHER than it was the day before. The day after, it was another 18 gallons higher. Over the next few days I investigated and ruled...
  5. Smith333

Replace cast iron?

I'm preparing to finish my basement, and am wondering if it would be wise to replace this cast iron pipe that drains part of the house to the septic line outside. It has some crusty rust that concerns me. Some look wet but weren't when I took the photos. It hasn't been touched since the house...
  6. Smith333

Day Override setting

Thanks for the reply. I recently had a limited water test done. What other factors are important? PH: 7.36 Iron: 0.5 mg/l Manganese: 0 Hardness: 31 TDS: 529 mg/l ORP: 184 mv
  7. Smith333

Day Override setting

I purchased a water softener with a Fleck 5810Sxt controller for a 3 bathroom house that is currently occupied by one person. Since the capacity of the softener will not be needed until the house is sold, I would like to set the Day override setting as high as possible to save on salt. My...
  8. Smith333

What is holding these copper pipes together?

I haven't been able to find any information about a cold welding product that existed 20-30 years ago so I'm going to replace all of it to be safe. Luckily it's easily accessible.
  9. Smith333

Thanks. Was this type of product around 20 or 30 years ago? Does it typically pass building inspections?
  10. Smith333

I recently inherited a house that was built in 1986. While snooping around I found this section of pipe that at first glance looks like someone forgot to solder. Looking closer, each joint is covered with a clear hard substance which I'm assuming is some kind of epoxy. Luckily, this technique...
  11. Smith333

Cap pipe or replace fitting

I am adding a water softener to my house but first have to alter the plumbing since the house is not currently plumbed for a softener. In one location a tee that services two bathrooms also services an outdoor faucet that I don't want softened. When I cut out the 1/2" line to the faucet...
  12. Smith333

Draining softener into a sealed sump pit

Just as a folow-up, I think I've found the solution that won't require a stand pipe or result in code issues. It is called "Dranjer JS-15 Sump Drain"
  13. Smith333

Radon fan is DIY but done to code. What I cannot find is if the radon exhaust pipe can double as a drain pipe for the softener and pass an inspection when selling the house.
  14. Smith333

I would install a dry well in the back yard if I can use the sump for the water softener. It currently terminates just outside the exterior wall because it's only run maybe 10 times in the last 35 years. It would appear from the code that I can use a stand pipe and vaccuum break, but I don't...
  15. Smith333

My idea is to use the radon exhaust pipe as the drain pipe and tie a 2" trap/standpipe into it as shown in the picture, using a 4x2 santee. I figure if I make the trap extra deep the radon fan will not be able to suck the water out of it and the seal would be maintained. Would this be a viable...
  16. Smith333

I would like to add a water softener to my house, but my sump pit is sealed for a radon system. If I wanted the softener to drain to this sump pit, how could this be accomplished without breaking the seal? I was thinking I could add a standpipe with a trap, but I'm not sure if the trap would be...
  17. Smith333

Do I have a potential gas leak?

My calculation is based on 10 degrees/360 degrees per revolution (times) One-half cubic ft per revolution = 1/72 cubic ft (0.0138888) "leaked" per day. To put my question another way: in a gas system with no leaks, can one expect any movement of the gas meter dial when there is no gas use...
  18. Smith333

Do I have a potential gas leak?

Yesterday I decided to turn off the water heater (the only active natural-gas using appliance in the house) and see if the gas meter would register any gas use over the next 24 hours. At the end of this time period, the "half foot" dial had moved approximately 10 degrees. By my calculations...
  19. Smith333

Anode rod replacement surprise

I stuck the end of the old rod in a jar of vinegar and by the next morning all of the scale had fallen off, some had dissolved I assume. Since the rod is nearly intact under the scale, I have to assume that the water softener malfunctioned for a period of time right after I installed the water...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks