Search results

1. Bassman

Mis-Reading the Code

I'm looking at the CA Plumbing code and it says: 706.1 "Changes in direction of drainage piping shall be made by appropriate use of approved fittings and shall be of the angles presented by a one-sixteenth (1/16) bend, one-eighth (1/8) bend, or one-sixth (1/6) bend, or other approved...
  2. Bassman

Drain pipes need replacing

I've been having problems with my drain system forever. The reason is that the grey water in my house doesn't run downhill like it should. In this photo you'll see what I have. For this run to be level, the cleanout end would need to come up at least half an inch. I'm thinking the entire thing...
  3. Bassman

Adding switched receptacle

Even with the GFCI protecting the circuit?
  4. Bassman

No ground wires in the original circuits in this house, unfortunately. GFCI at the panel.
  5. Bassman

It'll be much easier to run from the existing receptacle. If I get this right, the black wire I have now is part of the switch loop so I can't have one outlet hot and one switched, but that's okay.
  6. Bassman

I have a switched duplex receptacle that has a black and white wire connected to it. It seems that if I want to add another switched receptacle across the room, all I would need to do is connect another run of 2-wire to this receptacle and the 2nd would be switched as well. Is this the correct...
  7. Bassman

Vent hood nightmare, please help!

Apparently what I wanted is one of these: http://www.standexadp.com/catstyle.php?searchtext=draw Could not find one in this city for love or money, but a very helpful guy in an HVAC shop made me a band to use with sheet metal screws. Took him 2 minutes!
  8. Bassman

You mean a crimping tool? No, the issue for me is how to fit all the pieces together when you are working in the middle of a run. You know how you have slip couplers for plumbing? Something like that, or superior knowledge in how to use what's available. :)
  9. Bassman

Okay, so I have about 12 inches of 7" round coming down from the roof. Then it's another foot to the top of the cabinet, then 20 inches down to the motor which has a 3x14 duct opening. I just spend another wasted day trying to make a nice connection using 3x14 duct up to a transition at the top...
  10. Bassman

Soldering to Stainless Steel

You CAN soft solder stainless but you need to use some pretty harsh cleaning methods, like phosphoric or hydrochloric acid. Best bet is to use low temp silver brazing wire as Jimbo said. It's not the same as the silver bearing solder you bought and it's much more expensive. I've successfully...
  11. Bassman

Cable connectors necessary?

By "junction" do you mean the interior space of the fixture? The fixtures I bought all have extra leads capped off inside for extending to another fixture. Everything seems to fit.
  12. Bassman

Thanks guys. It never occurred to me to just make the hole bigger and put a proper size connector in. I only needed one right now so I just filed the hole bigger and inserted a standard Romex clamp. When the backsplash gets tiled, it looks like those plastic snap-in clamps are the ticket.
  13. Bassman

I'm installing under cabinet lights in the kitchen. Simple flat (approx. 1 1/8") flourescents. One of the fixtures has to be fed from one down the line via a loop of 14/2 in the wall. The little connectors (mini Romex clamps) provided for the fixture can't accomodate two 14/2 cables, so what...
  14. Bassman

Box extension

I think I still have that. If not, can I extend them? There's no device in this box, it's purely a junction box.
  15. Bassman

Box extension

It's not 2" drywall. We had to shear the wall with 3/4 ply, then 1/2 drywall, then a cabinet back. Bad planning. Every other box on that wall I remembered to install adjustable boxes. This one just got lost in the shuffle. Sbrn33--Can I put that handy box extension onto the plastic box and...
  16. Bassman

Box extension

Thanks, I know about those but it's still going to be short by over 3/8". I found some stackable ones at www.receptxtenders.com. Definitely the ticket and my punishment will be paying 7.50 to ship $3 worth of plastic.
  17. Bassman

Box extension

I have a box in the wall under my sink that's just a junction box, no device. The problem is that through bad planning the box got buried very deep into the wall so I need to extend it so I can cover it. I'm talking 2 inches from the inside of the cabinet to the edge of the plastic single box...
  18. Bassman

Entire home rewire by non-pro..

Oh, geez, do NOT have the kids around when you Google "horsecock"!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks