Search results

1. crossthreaded

Need Help! Sewer line backed up.

i heard you mention tree roots, if they used orange paper or terra cotta pipes the roots could have grown into them. if there is a clean out on the elbow flowing out of the house you can take the cap off of it and get a flashlight and look down the pipe and see if it is obstructed.
  2. crossthreaded

How many of you use tape on compression threads?

I was at home depot the other night and overheard the guy working there telling a guy that he needed to wrap the threads on the fitting with teflon tape to get it to seal up. I was nice enough to explain to him how the fitting works :D we use the same fittings on nylon air lines in the...
  3. crossthreaded

Anyone have any advice on getting into the plumbing field?

I know that about 6 months ago when I called a plumber to snake my main line he had an apprentice with him. Best option would be to either try a trade school and get your journeyman first then try and apprentice, or just call around like cass said and find a place willing to train you if...
  4. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

so I should just center the pipe up where the flange is supposed to go, ok. now as for the shower I was planning on running a 2" sanitary tee, into a ptrap then a 90 to the 2" run across the joists, then join it into the 4x4x2 wye right behind the closet 90 for the flange. is this right?
  5. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

here is the plumbing right now. I really don't know what is supposed to come next, I will be researching to figure it out. I have an idea but not sure how to make it all work together.
  6. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

what height should it be at relative to the finished floor? I was planning on setting it the same as it is now and making up for the added hardibacker and tile with spacers.
  7. crossthreaded

Bath Tub Removal & Installation

I just pulled the cast unit out of my bathroom, we smashed it into 2 pieces to get it out from the wall. there is no way 2 people could have safely carried it down my tight set of stairs. It weighed a ton. why do you want to go with a cast tub for the replacement?
  8. crossthreaded

quick question- is caulking needed around replaced new tub fixtures?

I would say so. It would keep water from seeping behind the fixture and getting the backer material soaked and causing mold.
  9. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

yeah it was good for ceramic or natural stone. it will be 3/4 of boards layed diagonally(not ply) then a 3/4 piece of ply. I'm seeing now that I will have to use 1/4 hardi....I guess I was just trying to get out of carrying all that stuff back down the stairs.
  10. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

I only have 3/4" of the t&g, which is already ripped up, and then 3/4" 2x8's under that. the top layer of t and g would have been a pain to cut out and replace and it was pretty nasty over by the toilet flange so I ripped it all out. there is about 3 2x10 boards in the corner around the flange...
  11. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

yeah i just went up and checked it out, it is 3/4 inch. the lower boards were also water damaged so I knocked a few out near the flange and the floor looks to be doubled up 2x8's 16" oc. I think at this point I am planning on just ripping it out down to the joists and starting over. It will...
  12. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

could only do 5 pics per message.
  13. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

pictures of the bathroom before and after floor tile removal. the closet straight through the door will be cut out and will just be a recess in the room with a wall going to the ceiling on the right up against the tub surround. I will then put some nicer shelves in there and cover with a...
  14. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

well if I do that I will be up over the wood floor in the hallway by almost an inch, before the tile. Would it work out to take up the t and g and then put 5/8 ply down, perhaps 3/4? I do not want to have a huge step up into the bathroom. on top of the ply would be 1/4 hardibacker. I will...
  15. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

ok well I got the old tire torn up and found some water damage around the toilet flange. the flooring is 3" t and g on top of 2x8's or 2x10's going diagonal. the question is would it be better to rip up all the t and g and lay down some 5/8 or 3/4 ply on top and then my hardibacker? or...
  16. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

I am a stickler for standards and torque specs and any other specifications or standards I can follow. I am a diesel mechanic by day, but know very little about home improvement projects. I bought a house in july and am in the process of learning how to do all these things slowly but surely...
  17. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

well the tile is halfway falling off already, plus I already started tearing it up :eek: I saw the usg product advertised on sale for 12 bucks a sheet in the lowes flyer...I think I will try it out. well I have basically realized that I bought all the wrong stuff and I will need to carry...
  18. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

I am not putting tile back up, I am putting in a 2 piece shower surround unit. what thickness plastic should I use behind the hardibacker on the walls? should I put hardibacker up, then the surround, then cut green board to fit around the shower surround on the tops and sides? or is that...
  19. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

well it's already a shower/tub in there, but I guess I will have to open it up and see what size is there. Do you mean I will have to change out the whole wet vent to 2"? The only thing that needs to be done by then is the shower has to be working. I have another 1/2 bath that I can use...
  20. crossthreaded

Bathroom reno questions

I am going to be redoing my bathroom this week and just wanted to clarify my materials and where they will be used. the bathroom is 88 1/2 " square. I was planning on replacing pretty much everything. for the floors I will be tearing up the old linoleum floor, checking level, then putting...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks