Search results

1. JMingrone

Connect yard hydrant into existing outside faucet

I made a diagram of the system which would’ve clarified things but unfortunately it turned out too big to post ( grrr!). Anyway, think of the system as an elevated tube of water with a spigot at the top and drain valve at the bottom - open both ends and water falls out, right? So what’s the...
  2. JMingrone

Thanks for the responses guys. So i'm just unclear what the vacuum breaker does. None of the piping from the house to the bottom of the hill is below the frost line so to drain the system at the end of the season i'll close the shutoff inside the house, open the house spigot, yard hydrant...
  3. JMingrone

>>The best way to deal with what you ask would be to saw off the pipe in the basement that goes to that spigot. Pull the spigot and pipe stub out. Then run the new pipe through your existing hole. A good idea, and I have no problem cutting out the old spigot and making the connection inside the...
  4. JMingrone

Without drilling a hole through my foundation, what would be the best way to pipe water from the faucet to the pvc stub seen in the picture? The stub takes a 90 degree bend under the pavers and goes to a yard hydrant about 25 ft away. I'm handy with plumbing, just unsure how to do this...
  5. JMingrone

Plumbing a toekick heater?

Hi, I want to install a small toekick heater in my kitchen and was wondering if I need to use a venturi T fitting where it taps into the main baseboard heating loop. My concern is that the toekick only has 1/2" piping, which seems to me like it will cause reduced flow in the main heating...
  6. JMingrone

Jay's whole- house renovation

So I’m still a little unclear on mating PVC to cast iron sewer pipe. I believe I have a “hub” type CI pipe in the basement. It has a “4” stamped in the side and the 3” copper plugs into that, vertically. Not sure what the seal is between the copper and CI, but hopefully it’ll come out...
  7. JMingrone

Thanks HJ, good point on the "straight down" comment, LOL. Sounds like all PVC is the way to go. Just need to figure how to get the 3" copper piece out of the cast sewer stub and what transition piece I need to convert to PVC. May even make a profit on all the scrap copper! Dana-Yes, we are...
  8. JMingrone

Hi, Just purchased (and gutted) a '68 ranch that's in excellent shape but dated. The main bath is being reorganized (fixture locations changing) and a new powder room is being added. The house currently has ALL COPPER plumbing, including a 20 ft long 3" connection from the toilet to...
  9. JMingrone

Basic electric service panel questions

I'm having a home inspection this weekend on the house I'm selling and I'm a little concerned about the electrical inspection. A couple quick questions: 1) For a 200 amp service, you draw 200 amps from each leg, right? 2) Is it a problem (does code require) that the breakers on each leg total...
  10. JMingrone

How high can a washing machine pump water "uphill"?

Thanks everyone for all the input, I think I have enough to go on!
  11. JMingrone

So assuming that's a problem, or could be, what other options are there for plumbing a basement WM?
  12. JMingrone

Thanks Jim. I easily have 83 inches to the bottom of the joists, more if I go up inside to the subfloor. The standpipe sounds like a length of vertical pipe above...what, a trap? How tall does it have to be? Good idea on checking the WM manual. -Jay
  13. JMingrone

I want to install a washing machine in the basement of a house I just bought. We have a septic system where the cleanout for the sewer pipe enters horizontally through the foundation 54 inches off the slab floor. Any drain I install would have to tap into vertical section of the the main...
  14. JMingrone

Natural gas shutoff for built in stove

hj: it's a true "built-in" stove with a dress flange that sits on top of the granite countertop. On installation, we'll "slide" it in after connecting the flex supply (hopefully without munching up the flex).
  15. JMingrone

Installing new toilet, two wax rings?

Fwiw, I had a similar situation in my bathroom, where the tile I installed 10 years ago ended up flush with the new finished floor. I tried the thicker wax rings and double wax rings, but every couple of years, I'd start to smell sewer gases and have to redo it. On my current renovation, I bit...
  16. JMingrone

Outlet inside peninsula cabinet

Well, after all the careful planning, I feel really foolish about not having run a branch off either of my 2 GFI countertop circuits, which would have been simple before the walls were up! Jim- good idea about a GFI BREAKER as a work-around. Jay
  17. JMingrone

All good stuff. My cabinets just arrived, so I have the luxury of actually looking at and measuring clearances rather than going by catalogue numbers. The cabinet immediately to the right of the slide-in, built-in stove is a 15 inch wide trash dispenser. When the slide-out is fully slid IN...
  18. JMingrone

Outlet inside peninsula cabinet

Thanks Dave. And for the reminder about the GFI.
  19. JMingrone

Thanks guys. Rigid pipe up and over, then flex.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks