Search results

1. Troutd0g

O-ring sealed quick-connect tub drains - Trouble-free? or Avoid them?

As a follow-up, I've decided to go the route of quick-connect drain - specifically the OS&B ITD 35 ABS. The benefits seem to outweigh the concerns and I've searched hard for anecdotes or documented cases of them failing or not working and can't find anything substantive. I called around...
  2. Troutd0g

Thanks Jim. I should have been more specific about my question. I'm very tempted to use it in my situation, however a voice of warning in the back of my head is cautioning that o-rings all fail eventually. If they aren't kept lubricated, they dry out, crack and fail. Tubs in my household are...
  3. Troutd0g

Surprised there are no recommendations on whether the quick-connect tub drain kits are effective.
  4. Troutd0g

Seal the gap between shower valve sleeve and escutcheon???

In a recently completed shower rebuild, I used kerdi membrane for walls and floor and kerdi seal gaskets for the shower head and shower valve penetrations/openings. Great. The valve cover has a narrow foam gasket on the backside that presumably prevents water running down the wall from...
  5. Troutd0g

I'm an accomplished DIYer, not a pro plumber. As part of master bath renovation I'm replacing a large built-in tub with a freestanding tub. Thankfully I only need to move the drain p-trap a few inches to accommodate the tub drain location. The question is how to connect the tub tailpiece to...
  6. Troutd0g

Can vent tie-in be lower than highest point in vent path to stack?

Thanks for the detailed explanations - very helpful. It makes sense. Lesson to learn is to have a vent roughed in from basement to attic when having a house built. I didn't think about this when I had the home built. I knew with a structural basement floor I would have easy access to drain lines...
  7. Troutd0g

In this case the vents will indeed rise far more than 6" above highest fixture in that vent loop (basement bathroom), but certainly every fixture in the upper floors will be higher. I am a little confused by drawings that show venting to the main stack through multiple floors. It's almost like...
  8. Troutd0g

I am adding a basement bathroom. The floor is structural (wood over metal joists) so I have good access to drain pipes beneath the floor. There are drain/vent stacks on opposite ends of the basement which serve the upper levels of the house - one on each side of the I-beam. The nearest stack is...
  9. Troutd0g

Will Fernco coupler in shower drain be prone to clogging?

Converted 1.5" tub drain to 2" for shower. Due to a slightly jagged cut as a result of tight access to the ABS pipes a fernco coupler was used. Will this be more prone to clogging?
  10. Troutd0g

Plumber didn't center shower drain rough in under the drain hole - how big a problem is this?

I've had the same thought but it costs just under $2/sq.ft. So it's not cheap. What I may do is extend it beyond the curb about a foot.
  11. Troutd0g

Plumber didn't center shower drain rough in under the drain hole - how big a problem is this?

I replaced the cut away OSB and then added a layer of 15/32 plywood to stiffen the floor for tile. Over this I will layer 1/4" Hardin backer CBU. Here is my method for transferring measurements for drain holes to the next layer. I taped a large sheet of card stock to a wood block, traced the...
  12. Troutd0g

Backing up to the beginning... My bathroom remodel project started by noticing staining and mold in the vinyl flooring near the tub. Removed the vinyl to discover water damage that had rotted the particleboard underpayment and the 3/4" OSB all the way through as well as a portion of the sill...
  13. Troutd0g

Should I DIY a Shower Pan and Tile?

I'm particularly interested in the thread and story by @StephP because it is the reason I decided to do as much of my remodel project as I can myself - I think we've all been there - spent big $$ to contract out a complex project only to be disappointed in the quality of the work product...
  14. Troutd0g

Final update on this issue: Thank you all very much for the posts and guidance - it is very much appreciated. I decided to rip and replace. Just rebuild everything. It was painful but was the right solution. Now everything is perfect. As somebody commented, it's not that hard to mess up drain...
  15. Troutd0g

As mentioned the plumber realigned the drain rough in to the hole using street 22's to offset but in the process got careless with aligning them while gluing, resulting in a centered drain that is now no longer level. Picture attached. Question is whether the ABS fittings can tolerate the...
  16. Troutd0g

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm sure it's formed over many years of experience. Over time as you learn more about the Kerdi system, I bet you'll change your mind about it though.
  17. Troutd0g

Thanks for the well considered ideas and guidance thus far. I will post a pic of the end of the not-yet-trimmed-to-length riser with flange attached so you can see how far off level it on Fri when I get back from a business trip. It measured 0.25" higher on one side. In order to level the drain...
  18. Troutd0g

Well the situation just got worse... The plumber came to install the 2 22.5 hubs. He immediately set to work prepping the glue and I said "slow down buddy" before you glue it, why not dry fit it and just make sure it's actually going to work? He said ok and did that and it looked good. Then...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks