Search results

1. Jadziedzic

Basement bathroom rough-in new construction - what to check?

We're having a new home built and have asked the builder to provide the rough-in for a basement bathroom; in a year or so I'll be erecting interior walls in the basement area (2x4 walls spaced 1-1/2" off the interior poured foundation walls). Can any of the pros offer any tips on how to be sure...
  2. Jadziedzic

Seeking recommendations for high-quality sewage ejector pump system

We're in the planning stages of building a 1-story house with full basement, and would like to have the plumber install rough plumbing for a basement (half) bathroom and shop sink, potentially located about 20-30 feet apart. The builder has said the sewer line would exit the house about...
  3. Jadziedzic

Increasing air charge of already-installed expansion tank

Our house's PRV was replaced a few weeks back and everything is working OK, but I'm thinking the plumber probably did NOT change the pressure in the expansion tank in the system. (I think the tank is probably around 50 PSI air charge, with the PRV set at 70 PSI.) If I turn off the water and...
  4. Jadziedzic

What do the pros consider the "correct" PRV pressure setting?

I live on a street with city water supplied at around 120 PSI. Our PRV was just replaced, and the plumber adjusted the new PRV for 70 PSI. I think I've seen recommendations here for around 60 PSI, but I can't find that right now via search. (The new PRV is a lead-free Watts 25AUB.) I have to...
  5. Jadziedzic

1-piece UltraMax II w/C200 washlet - outlet location question

The 1-piece UltraMax II w/C200 washlet (MW6042044CEFG) spec sheet shows the electrical outlet located on the left side (viewed from front of bowl). The cord is 4' long, so is there any reason the outlet can't be located on the right side?
  6. Jadziedzic

Tub/shower combo to tub - P-trap replacement from same floor?

I'm looking to replace a fiberglass tub/shower combo with a tub (same length - 60", but 32" wide instead of 30"), so it's probable the P-trap will have to be moved (replaced) to accommodate the new tub drain position. The 1-1/2" drainage pipe runs parallel with the length of the tub towards the...
  7. Jadziedzic

Addition of second vanity sink

I'd like to add a second vanity sink in the main bathroom, about 2-1/2 feet to the left of the existing one. The picture below shows the plumbing as originally roughed in; the only tie-ins to this (3-inch?) stack in the attic above this floor are vents from other areas. Can I extend the...
  8. Jadziedzic

Amer. Stand. Americast versus Kohler Archer? Floor loading?

I'm planning to replace an existing fiberglass tub/shower unit in the main bath with an alcove bathtub, tiling above the tub. I like the looks of Kohler's Archer model, but I've heard the acrylic tubs are somewhat flimsy compared to other materials. What do the pros think about the American...
  9. Jadziedzic

Is it possible to crack a black iron elbow by tightening a pipe too far?

Is it possible to apply so much turning force to a black iron pipe (tapered threads) that it would split the black iron elbow into which it threads? I'm not referring to cases where you go crazy and use 2-foot extensions on a massive pipe wrench and jump off the roof, but just regular old...
  10. Jadziedzic

Recommended rough-in height for kitchen sink drain?

Hi Terry & co - I'll be embarking on a kitchen renovation project in the next few months. At this point I'm not sure what type/style of sink will be used (probably NOT a farmhouse variety). At what height do the pros typically rough in a kitchen sink drain connection? I suspect I may have to...
  11. Jadziedzic

Vent pipe leak at joint - repair options?

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to repair a joint in a PVC vent that has a very slight leak (a few small drops in an hour) after a heavy rain? There is limited space to work in (see pictures below) - the leaking joint is at the rear of the tee. The vent line marked "FV" is 2 inch pipe...
  12. Jadziedzic

Drain options when replacing an existing tub with a longer one (longer trap arm)?

I have a typical 5-foot fiberglass alcove tub/shower combo in the 2nd floor bath that I'd like to replace with a 6-foot tub (Kohler Archer?), and I'm wondering what suggestions the experienced plumbers on the forum might have with regards to venting the longer trap arm that will be necessary...
  13. Jadziedzic

Best sealant for connection to in-wall drop ear elbow - Teflon tape or thread sealant

I have an-wall drop ear elbow in my new shower which will receive a short brass nipple which will connect to an outside drop ear (for a hand shower hose). Since I don't have a lot of leeway on the outside to position the elbow - it must point down and it can't be too tight against the marble...
  14. Jadziedzic

Source for braided toilet supply line in oil-rubbed or dark bronze finish?

Does anyone know if braided toilet supply lines are available in an oil-rubbed or dark bronze finish? I looked quite a bit on the Web today and didn't find any. Everything else in the bath is oil-rubbed bronze so I'd like to match that color. (I do have one of the rigid metal supply lines in...
  15. Jadziedzic

Toilet riser WAY out of plumb - options?

A few months back I had a plumber from a large plumbing company in the area replace the closet bend and riser in preparation for tiling my bathroom. Now that it's time to replace the closet flange I've found that he installed the riser WAY out of plumb - about a half-bubble on my 9-inch torpedo...
  16. Jadziedzic

Best style of closet flange to use

It's almost time to install the closet flange after tiling; which one of these would you prefer, and why? It seems logical that the one on the left, having a stop that covers the edge of the joint line between the pipe and flange spigot, would be "better" in some way; am I over thinking this...
  17. Jadziedzic

Dealing with imperfect surface on bottom of sink around drain hole

I suspect I already know the answer to this question, but ... I have an American Standard sink with what appears to be a casting / finishing issue on the bottom surface of the sink where the drain hole is formed. It appears there's a bubble or void in the surface that allows water to leak...
  18. Jadziedzic

Recommendation for toilet in a (sort of) back-to-back configuration

I'm looking to replace the circa 1990 toilets in the second-floor baths of my home; I think the existing units are 1.6 GPF, made by URC (?). The bathrooms are in a sort of back-to-back configuration with a horizontal "W" connection (see drawing). The W fitting runs parallel to the floor, with...
  19. Jadziedzic

Is there a plumbing equivalent to Richter's "Practical Electrical Wiring" book?

Is there a plumbing equivalent to Richter's "Practical Electrical Wiring" book? The selection of plumbing books in the local big box stores in my area is limited - the Sunset and Black & Decker varieties that describe how to replace a washer, etc. is all I have to choose from. I'm not...
  20. Jadziedzic

Relocate vent to accommodate sink move

I would like to relocate a vent line so I can move a bathroom sink to the center of the counter instead of near one end where the builder located it. If you look at the attached photo, my plan would be to cut the left-hand 2" PVC pipe (the vent) a few inches above the bottom plate, use a 90...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks