Search results

1. Pmayer

Can I seal the side vent on my fireplace?

I have flying squirrels getting into my attic, and I'm trying to seal all possible points of entry. Today I was up on the roof and noticed that the vent on the side of the chimney has been breached by some critter, and based on the damage and the size of the vent, it seems likely that this is...
  2. Pmayer

Wiring a power cord on a vacuum pump

Hi guys, I have a new vacuum pump (Vacutronics DV-5V 110V oil less vacuum pump) that will be used for a vacuum chuck system on a lathe. It did not have a power cord wired onto it, and I'm a bit stumped as to how to wire one into this unit. Can someone please advise as to what my best steps...
  3. Pmayer

Leaking bath tub plumbing - no access

Home built in 1986, bath tub is on second story. I had a clogged drain and was trying to clear it with a plunger when the snake wasn't solving the problem. The pressure from the plunger caused a leak to appear in the system which is now causing water to leak through the ceiling on the first...
  4. Pmayer

Best Patio Door Manufacturer

I am starting to do some research on patio doors, and plan to replace ours either this fall or next spring. Any suggestions as to which manufactures make the best patio door? Any that you would suggest that I avoid? Being in MN, Anderson is pretty prevalent, and the prices seems reasonable...
  5. Pmayer

Opinions on quick stab connections in can lights

All, I am finishing my basement and will be wiring 17 can lights. I noticed that the can lights have quick stab connections in the box and I am wondering what the opinions are on them (cans that I have used in the past did not have them)? I had a problem one time with an outlet that was...
  6. Pmayer

Insulation where floor joists overhang foundation

I am continuing my basement remodel and following the great advice that I have received here in the past regarding insulation. In fact I should mention that the previous basement room that I finished is by far the most comfortable room in the house thanks to you guys. In the area that I am...
  7. Pmayer

Sump pump backup

All, Our house is 25 years old, and has what I presume to be the original sump pump. It rarely runs, and when it does, it is flawless. Some years it never runs, some years it will go occasionally for a couple days. There is no backup on the system, but I just finished the basement and...
  8. Pmayer

Can I drain/vent a sink into this drain pipe?

I am finishing a portion of my basement, and I am considering adding a wet bar if I can do it without breaking up concrete to run a drain. There is a good spot with a drain/vent adjacent, and easy access to water lines. But, my question is this. How can I tell if it is ok to tie a drain and...
  9. Pmayer

Flooring options for basement

I am starting a basement remodel project this fall and want to understand my options and the best approaches to dealing with moisture in a damp basement. I have regraded around trouble spots in my foundation, and my basement can now survive a heavy rain without incurring any standing water...
  10. Pmayer

Lights on GFI protected circuit

Hi, I have a circuit with about 10 fluorescent light fixtures (4' x 2 bulbs), along with a GFI outlet on the same circuit. The lights are on a 3-way switch. I keep intermittently tripping the GFI. I have replaced the outlet, and the switches, but it keeps popping. When I remove the GFI...
  11. Pmayer

House paint and spray guns

Hi, I am planning to paint my woodshop, which requires probably 1000 square feet of surface or so. My questions are: 1. Which paint is best for this? Is it worth buying the $50/can paint instead of the $30/can stuff? My main requirement is durability. In other words, I hate painting...
  12. Pmayer

PEX push 'n go fittings

My local home center carries PEX and these push 'n go fittings: http://www.durapex.com/PushNGo.asp which look extremely simple, and seem to be of good quality, but I don't have experience with PEX fittings so it is hard to tell by just looking at them in the store. My question is this; are...
  13. Pmayer

Moving a laundry room

I am building an addition and moving washer/dryer and laundry tub into it. I will also be adding another laundry tub for my shop, which will be on just behind a common wall with the new laundry room. I am planning to run the water lines in copper because I was told that DYIers can not run PEX...
  14. Pmayer

PEX is PEX? Or are there variable levels of quality?

All, I am installing in-floor radiant heat, and plan to use 1/2" PEX tubing. My local home center has PEX on sale for about half the price of a contractor who provided me with a quote. That contractor said that PEX comes in three types: Good, medium, and bad. He further indicated that the...
  15. Pmayer

Tankless water heater for radiant heat

All, I am building a workshop addition to my home and I am planning to install water radiant heat in the slab. My current plan is to use this electric tankless water heater: https://www.tanklesswaterheater.com//technical.html as my heat source. It seems like an economical, logical approach...
  16. Pmayer

Replacing shower valve - what steps?

I have started to replace the valve on my shower. I would have preferred to find hardware that utilized the existing valve, because I didn't want to cut a hole in my wall, but the manufacturer of my old shower is out of business, so I have now cut the hole in my wall. First question is this...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks