Search results

1. Pmayer

Can I seal the side vent on my fireplace?

I have flying squirrels getting into my attic, and I'm trying to seal all possible points of entry. Today I was up on the roof and noticed that the vent on the side of the chimney has been breached by some critter, and based on the damage and the size of the vent, it seems likely that this is...
  2. Pmayer

Wiring a power cord on a vacuum pump

Thanks, guys. Worked great. I really appreciate the help, as always. Cheers, Paul
  3. Pmayer

Wiring a power cord on a vacuum pump

Hi guys, I have a new vacuum pump (Vacutronics DV-5V 110V oil less vacuum pump) that will be used for a vacuum chuck system on a lathe. It did not have a power cord wired onto it, and I'm a bit stumped as to how to wire one into this unit. Can someone please advise as to what my best steps...
  4. Pmayer

Leaking bath tub plumbing - no access

Replaced the gasket, reinstalled drain and no more leak. Thanks again for the suggestion, fullysprinkled.
  5. Pmayer

OK, I took the drain out and realized that the everything dropped down a bit after the drain was removed, so it looks like an easy deal to replace the gasket. I also found that the old gasket was split completely through, so perhaps that is the smoking gun I was hoping for. Fingers crossed.
  6. Pmayer

Thanks, FS. That's great advice and I'm going to proceed as you suggest. Do you have any suggestions on how to replace the rubber gasket? I figure that I might as well plan on it while I've got it opened up. I've watched a few youtube videos and they all put it on top of the tub, whereas...
  7. Pmayer

Home built in 1986, bath tub is on second story. I had a clogged drain and was trying to clear it with a plunger when the snake wasn't solving the problem. The pressure from the plunger caused a leak to appear in the system which is now causing water to leak through the ceiling on the first...
  8. Pmayer

Best Patio Door Manufacturer

Thank you, Jim. This is great info. I should have been more clear in my request: I was looking for a sliding door. I ended up getting a jeld-wen, wooden with vinyl clad exterior. Seemed to be well made. We'll see. :)
  9. Pmayer

Best Patio Door Manufacturer

I am starting to do some research on patio doors, and plan to replace ours either this fall or next spring. Any suggestions as to which manufactures make the best patio door? Any that you would suggest that I avoid? Being in MN, Anderson is pretty prevalent, and the prices seems reasonable...
  10. Pmayer

Opinions on quick stab connections in can lights

Great input. Thanks, guys. Its not really the response that I was expecting, so I am glad that I asked before just cutting them off. I will definitely give them a try. Good suggestion to check the prewiring, Chad.
  11. Pmayer

Opinions on quick stab connections in can lights

All, I am finishing my basement and will be wiring 17 can lights. I noticed that the can lights have quick stab connections in the box and I am wondering what the opinions are on them (cans that I have used in the past did not have them)? I had a problem one time with an outlet that was...
  12. Pmayer

Insulation where floor joists overhang foundation

I was thinking that perhaps I had not communicated my approach clearly enough.
  13. Pmayer

wouldn't the XPS sealed with spray foam constitute an adequate vapor barrier? It sits between the heated room above and the exterior.
  14. Pmayer

Spilled coffee under laptop

great idea!
  15. Pmayer

Here is how I ended up doing this after some input from a contractor friend. I cut XPS panels to fit the bottom of the subfloor, extending from the rim joist to the foundation block. Then I heavily foamed the perimeter of the XPS and pressed it into position so that the foam oozed and filled...
  16. Pmayer

Dana, This is so helpful. I really appreciate your thorough response once again.
  17. Pmayer

Thanks, Dana. On the cantilevered bays, I believe that the joists are 2x10, and yes, it is a bit of a reach of erhaps 2 feet in each area (probably 8 or so total cavities to deal with). The reach is for sure too far to do anything nimble out at the rim joist. If I am interpreting correctly...
  18. Pmayer

I am continuing my basement remodel and following the great advice that I have received here in the past regarding insulation. In fact I should mention that the previous basement room that I finished is by far the most comfortable room in the house thanks to you guys. In the area that I am...
  19. Pmayer

Sump pump backup

The motor is submersible. Which style do you think is better? Tower or submersible? Good input on the UPS concept. I'm glad I asked. :)
  20. Pmayer

Sump pump backup

Good input so far. Thanks, guys. Jim, responses to your questions. - I am on city water, and the since the use of the sump pump is extremely rare, I am not concerned about the water/sewer charges for the off chance that the backup is used. - Our history is power loss is next to nothing. -...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks