Search results

1. ktop

Joy of Katalox Short Lived

Thanks All. Reach - I have an Autotrol Logix 263/740 timer based Controller currently used in "F" Filter mode. Backwash and fast rinse only. I Believe I can convert to Softener/Conditioner by reprogramming and adding injector plug/brine line/brine pickup with aircheck. If I am reading valve...
  2. ktop

i am sure a NaClO feed would work - just not ready for injection, more tanks, carbon..... If issue continues and find the KL bed is causing stink - may just put Filox back in :)
  3. ktop

That is what I was thinkin. Never really had an issue with Filox and smell. - thinkin the KL being a 3 micron sediment filter is allowing bacteria/stink to accumulate. KL is suppose to remove H2S (if it exists already) guess it never said anything about bacteria growth in bed that may produce...
  4. ktop

Hi JRC3- sometimes I feel I should have kept my filox :) Was not fouled that i know of but was consistently getting .3mg/l of iron after filox. Had to treat softener with rescare regularly and it eventually killed my resin. backwash was 9 gpm (kinda high). Thought was could use KL get the...
  5. ktop

I used University of Illinois - Illinois State Water Survey. Tests are reasonably priced ($35 each) and quite comprehensive. They do not test for bacteria or tannins though and additional items like lead are extra. http://www.isws.illinois.edu/chem/psl/ I also had tests done after...
  6. ktop

Thanks MichealSK. This is what I was suspecting and was looking for an option that may not need more tanks. I did post my water analysis in another post - copied here also. Thanks Reach I was under the same impression. So a little update: I began to second guess myself as to where the stink...
  7. ktop

Modify Existing Iron Filter or Scrap and start from Scratch

Thanks ChadWright. Sounds like we live on the same water :) Same exact problem - water tastes good and looks ok - until the tub is filled or white bucket. Any idea how much tannin resin they added? I have read on some sites that it only requires a few inches. I also read that tannin/anion...
  8. ktop

Thanks MichealSK. week prior to replacing Filox with KL performed a decent well shock 1 gallon Clorox mixed in 5 gallon bucket with water in the top of well and dropped 40 x 1 gram 70% Calcium Hypochlorite pellets. recirc'd for about and hour. pretty strong chlorine odor. let it sit for 8...
  9. ktop

Thanks for the response. Were you able to resolve your customers smelly water? Is what you are referring one of below? 1. Inline injection prior to KL 2. Injection plus contact tank 3. Regen with chlorine solution 4. other I have never played with chlorine/injection/contact tanks....... may...
  10. ktop

Replaced 8 year old 1 Cu ft Filox media (that rarely had any sulfer smell) with katalox Light 1.0 cu ft and now my water stinks. 1 week ago I thought Katalox Light was supposed to "remove" stink - not "add" it. Drew water just after KL filter and definitely coming from there. Water seemed...
  11. ktop

one other question: Noticed the Logix Autotrol 263 on the existing iron filter setup did not have a top basket/screen. I added the top basket/screen ( I already purchased figuring I would replace while I had it opened up). Was that a mistake? Should the iron filter top basket/screen be removed?
  12. ktop

Update: Swapped the filox for Katalox Light as recommended by the good folks here. Still have the pesky "slight green tint" in water - Not too bad though but noticeable. This one has me stumped. Water test after 1.0 cu ft Katalox now shows "0.00" using test strips ---- WooooHooooo Looks like...
  13. ktop

Thanks All. Reach4 - cool Chart! Could I inject Chlorine upstream of the KL filter without GAC just to help with oxidation. Would the KL pull the residual chlorine out? if I end up injecting chlorine - thought I may need contact tank and GAC Sounds like that would be a total different...
  14. ktop

Water temp on backwash is like reach4 mentioned - somewhere between 15-20c. readings with "not so great" thermometer were 18c If using KL in 9x48 vortech would a 5gpm DLFC be sufficient at these temps? If 7gpm needed - I believe I would have to go with an "external" DLFC for this valve?
  15. ktop

Thanks Dittohead. I was originally leaning towards KL as it sounds like I could reduce backwash rate and frequency ( maybe reduce iron further before softener) Not familiar with Stenner pumps or injection. would that just inject somewhere upstream from Iron filter? Tap on pipe? Do not have a...
  16. ktop

its a 5" inch casing. I drop food grade pellets (70%sodium hypochlorate )regularly (once a month) and do a shortened version shock 1-2 times per year with pellets and liquid chlorine Every home in the area has the same issue - maybe an aquifer thing? Could a carbon filter have any effect on...
  17. ktop

The sanitation procedure is a doozy but seems like it would be very effective. I will give it a go.. Do you believe IRB can be controlled if this is done regularly? How often? Wonder if thats the source of the green tint I was told the well is a continuous pressure system - no tank. there is...
  18. ktop

Hi all - new to the site and new to water treatment. many thanks to all who post here. Your information here is truelly helpful and informative. Was hoping to get recommendations on new water treatment or modify existing setup. Only the wife and I in a 3 bath house. water analysis results from...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks