Search results

1. nelsonr

Softener regen trips UV sensor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chloride: "Solubility in water 359 g/L", which is 2.996 pounds per gallon. So I think you're right.
  2. nelsonr

Yeah, sorry... Editing has its drawbacks. :) I guess the link I posted said 3lb/gallon of salt. I had jotted down 2.2lb/gallon, not sure from where. Here's a random post saying "2.2 lbs of salt per gallon": http://renalweb.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1011014023/m/6831086794/p/1/xsl/print_topic
  3. nelsonr

Wouldn't it be 6.16 like my edit? I would just be regenerating before full capacity is reached (wasted salt, but less hardness leakage). I guess if you account for wasted salt it might be closer to your 8lb. Edit: Oh, I see. You multiplied by 3, but I'm finding 2.2 lb / gallon for salt...
  4. nelsonr

I just updated my previous post. There's a sticker that says 1.0, so I'm guessing that's 1.0 BLFC which should be BF=5. Looking online, this is what I think I used: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/an-algorithm-for-setting-fleck-5600-sxt-parameters.63796/ 6 lb salt * 2.5 cu ft *...
  5. nelsonr

Softener settings: VT: dF1b CT: Fl NT: 2 C: 50000 (calculated at 5-6lb dosage) H: 12 (tested with Hach 5B; so little manganese it doesn't really affect compensated hardness) RS: rc RC: 0 (since it's dual tank) DO: 14 (I think this was max 2 weeks if capacity isn't reached) BW: 10 BD: 60 RR: 10...
  6. nelsonr

Yeah, capacity is lower than normal since I'm on a low salt dose. I had extensive water testing done one year ago. It was normal except 180mg/L hardness, 6.3 pH. Other minerals typically affecting softeners: iron not detected (less than 0.020 mg/L), manganese 0.007 mg/L. Some calcium...
  7. nelsonr

It's closer to 10 months old, but you may be right. I always have a replacement bulb ready just in case in burns out or something, closing the solenoid. A few days ago it happened again so I let water run as I was watching the intensity reading. It was about 40% initially and I had to run for...
  8. nelsonr

Yeah, the UV light has a timer and it says 69 days left, so it's closer to 10 months. If the bulb was fluctuating, I wouldn't expect this to occur only during regen, though it may be weaker now and cause it to happen more often.
  9. nelsonr

Well, if it's an issue in the tank it would be two cycles. I haven't proved it one way or the other so I wouldn't eliminate air check or brine tubing yet.
  10. nelsonr

Yes, during. So while the old tank is regenerating it has switched to the new (already-regenerated) tank. Air is a possibility, though visually inspecting the 5 micron filters (with see-through housing) and faucets/cups I don't notice any significant difference. Maybe I should watch if brine...
  11. nelsonr

Well -> manifold with expansion tank -> 60 mesh (250 micron) spin-down filter (since expansion tank is before, backwash doesn't work so well, but this keeps large sediment out) -> 20" 30 micron pleated sediment filter (larger filter than spin-down for less maintenance, keeps softener fairly...
  12. nelsonr

I have a Viqua VH410M UV light which includes a UV sensor. There's a solenoid valve that will shut off if the sensor detects less than a certain UV intensity (I think 50%). Every so often the UV sensor trips but the UV light still functions so I do one 12-hour manual override and it keeps...
  13. nelsonr

Sealing pipe threads with large gap

Thanks for all your comments. The brass adaptors tightened nicely and have not leaked at all in over a week. Crisis averted! :) There are already several unions so it's more modular including the filter inlet/outlet.
  14. nelsonr

I just got some brass adaptors as dj2 suggested and so far it's looking promising! The threaded section is longer (cacher_chick was probably right) and I can get some good torque before running out of threads so it never touches the housing plastic. I need to get a few more parts to put it all...
  15. nelsonr

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
  16. nelsonr

One last thing to note is that to get any decent amount of torque on it the MPT adapter goes up against the plastic surrounding the FPT outlet, so you'll see it's somewhat damaged. If the brass would be at least flush I guess the plastic wouldn't be affected. Maybe that's part of the problem...
  17. nelsonr

The filter looks very close to this (brass+clear housing+relief valve+wrench, the bracket is slightly different): http://americanwateronline.com/products/20-big-blue-whole-house-water-filter-w-washable-pleated-sediment-clear-housing-w-blue-tint The MPT to CPVC adapter says Legend Valve and is...
  18. nelsonr

Sorry for the delay, things got a bit crazy right after I posted. Here are some pictures to show what I'm working with. It's all 1" pipe: male.jpg: the MPT to CPVC adapter female.jpg: FPT "out" side of the filter housing combined.jpg: side view of both MPT and FPT loose.jpg: screwed in about...
  19. nelsonr

I have a big blue water filter I'm having a hard time sealing. It has 1" NPT metal and I've got pipe with 1" MPT, also metal. I think the filter is low quality, I'm not finding any brand name on it. There's a large gap between both threads (not tapered) and before I go and buy another filter...
  20. nelsonr

Simple way to connect pressure gauge to CPVC

Thanks, I compared supplyhouse.com and pvcfittingsonline.com for my order about $200 worth, mostly CPVC fittings (adapters, unions, elbows, tees). PvcFittings was slightly cheaper for most of their items but they charged about $12 shipping while SupplyHouse was free so that's mostly a draw. I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks