Search results

1. jlohrenz

Backer Board only or on top of green board?

If the lip of your tub can't be notched into your studs so it is even with them then this is what I'd suggest you do: Get either roofing paper (tar paper) or 6-8mil plastic and cover all of the studs around the tub area with this. it should come down over the lip of the tub. This is the...
  2. jlohrenz

Placing tub in 3 wall alcove

Make sure you put some good insulation back up on those exterior walls!
  3. jlohrenz

Placing tub in 3 wall alcove

Can you remove the toilet? It might give you more room to maneuver it into place. With our bathroom remodel we had to pull the toilet to get the tub in place correctly. I also had to take about another 4 inches of drywall out in front of both sides of the tub, and about 8 inches higher than...
  4. jlohrenz

Elongated vs. Round Bowl

As we are doing our remodel, we are switching from round to elongated. In the bathroom that we have completed, I really like the elongated, and will not go back to round unless there are some pretty serious sizing constraints in the room that would necessitate the extra space gained by going round.
  5. jlohrenz

Delta to Price Pfister Roman Tub replacement

Yes, Call Delta. Their CS is great. Stay away from Price Fister. We bought a faucet from them for our kitchen and it has been a PITA since then. Good luck!
  6. jlohrenz

Bath Remodel: Tight Space Advice Needed

We replaced our 60" tub with a 60" whirlpool tub. The only difference you can tell from looking into the bathroom is that the tub sits higher as it is considerably deeper than the old soaking tub.
  7. jlohrenz

Size & location of tub access panel

If you don't want to go that big, the ones in our house are about two feet tall and go from stud to stud. It provided easy access to the drain and both supply lines to the tub. Since it's in a closet you can really do what you want. The key is that if something goes wrong you can easily...
  8. jlohrenz

Pre-Fab Shower Crack

We've had this happen on two different occasions with two different showers. The first was in our new home about 2 months after the home was built. The builder forgot to put supports under the pre-fab base. They came in, cut some out, added supports and then had a fiberglass guy come in and...
  9. jlohrenz

American Standard vs. Jacuzzi (?)

Exact opposite for us here. The HD display was on the floor so we could see it. At Lowes it was up about 8 feet off the ground. That's why we went with the AS. I'm guessing at this price point there probably isn't too much of a difference. I believe ours has 10 jets as well. Three on each...
  10. jlohrenz

American Standard vs. Jacuzzi (?)

We recently installed the A.S. Lifetime tub that you speak of. My wife likes it. We also got the add-on in-line heater to keep the water at the intial temperature. The lifetime warranty got me. The jets are not are forceful as some other whirlpools (I've only had experience with this and a...
  11. jlohrenz

Adjusting vent pipe

Thanks! They crammed so much stuff around our A/C-Furnace that this is the only spot we can mount a humidifier. They had a sticker stating 'place humidifier here' but they went on to run the exhaust vent right past that spot from the water heater. Gotta love some home builders!
  12. jlohrenz

Adjusting vent pipe

Is there other information I can provide to help me out with this? The vent currently runs straight from the cement floor to the ceiling joists, where it does a 90 and joins into the main vent that goes up through the house to the roof. What I'd like to do is cut it off above the floor...
  13. jlohrenz

Adjusting vent pipe

moving vent pipe I'm trying to get a humidifier installed in my central A/C system. Unfortunately this vent pipe in the attached picture is blocking my ability to do this. Can I cut this pipe near the floor, angle it and have it come up 6-8 inches to the left of where it currently goes? In...
  14. jlohrenz

Any stone masons out there?

I'd post over at johnbridge.com There are several professional tile-setters that visit there regularly that could point you in the right direction.
  15. jlohrenz

Replacing a tub

We just did the same. We had to cut out the drywall a few feet above the tub and in front of it (ours was in a recessed area) in order to get the old tub out. The new one went in, but it took some fenagling. Most of these are installed when there is no drywall up in the house, so it'll be a...
  16. jlohrenz

Existing whrilpool tub not on mortar?

We just installed a whrilpool that is surrounded by three walls (a nook). We had to put stringers for the edges of the tub to rest on, but not to do weight support. We also had to put a 50 lb bag of mixed mortar under the tub base to support the tub weight. In fact, our install manual...
  17. jlohrenz

Another Tub/shower leaking, Look at Rot in Photo!

You need to kill the mold before you put it back together.
  18. jlohrenz

American Standard Lifetime Whirlpool

Good luck! My wife's only complaint was that the tub wasn't a bit longer, but unfortunately our layout didn't give us any flex to get a longer tub.
  19. jlohrenz

When we put the tub in place it was standing just shy of 1 1/2 inches off the floor due to the apron. So we cut 4 8" long 1x4's and stood them on end (one on each corner of the tub) on top of the 1x4 stringers you just installed. We then put the tub in place and set it on top of those...
  20. jlohrenz

It was the apron one as well....2425 if I remember correctly. I just used some quickcrete brick mortar.. It was in the yellow bag and was 50 lbs. I used the whole bag, and then came back latter with some 'good stuff' bick crack filler to fill in spots that the mortar didn't get to. It was a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks