Search results

1. Flapper

RPZA+PRV galvanized pipe exposed loop leaking; need to rebuild!

Last year I found some minor leaks at that gate valve, but didn't fix it as it would require rebuilding this whole thing. Today I took a look at it and discovered that it had gotten worse. Now there's a hissing sound, which I thought was coming from the leaking valve until I dug into the ground...
  2. Flapper

Weird thing with flushomatic toilet; tube connecting pipe to wall

Theres this toilet that has a I think 3/8 chrome copper tube connecting from the vertical tube (connecting the toilet spud to the flushomatic (thats what I call it because that's what it should be called; flushometer should be a name of a meter that measures flushes)) to the wall... what the heck?!
  3. Flapper

How many GPM can 3/8 flex carry?

How many GPM can a typical 3/8 supply flex hose carry, say 20" and 90PSI?
  4. Flapper

Cash Acme PRVs on ebay

There are Cash Acme PRVs on ebay for good prices. Are these good and are they suitable for whole-house use?
  5. Flapper

Galvanized compression coupling

Is this coupling for connecting galvanized pipe or is it just made of galvanized steel? http://www.supplyhouse.com/Matco-Norca-9167-3-4-Galvanized-Long-Compression-Coupling-440L04C
  6. Flapper

Ingredients of Cements and Primers

flapper submitted a new resource: Ingredients of Cements and Primers - List of ingredients of some of the common cements, primers, cleaners etc. Read more about this resource...
  7. Flapper

3/4" copper with 1" PEX

Do you think it is a good idea to use 3/4" copper with 1" PEX, like for a PRV loop? Because the ID of the 3/4 copper is nearly the same as the PEX, while the ID of the 1" copper is bigger so probably not necessary. 3/4 parts (valves, fittings, etc) are a lot cheaper and easier to work with.
  8. Flapper

Combine wax ring with waxless ring

Do you think it is a good idea to combine a waxless ring (like saniseal or korky) with a wax ring? Like using both tape and dope. Wax is good for filling in all areas to seal well, but stuff sometimes goes wrong and you can't be certain there's no leaks. Waxless is good for ensuring a seal...
  9. Flapper

Is a compression fitting supposed to be able to rotate?

Is it normal for a compression fitting to be able to rotate after being connected? I installed a stop valve with a compression fitting and it could rotate, even with the water on, but it doesn't leak.
  10. Flapper

Ingredients of Cements and Primers

FYI, here are the ingredients of the more common Oatey primers and cements. Oatey Regular Clear PVC Cement: Tetrahydrofuran, Acetone, PVC Resin, Cyclohexanone, Methyl ethyl ketone Oatey Medium Clear PVC Cement: Tetrahydrofuran, Acetone, Methyl ethyl ketone, PVC Resin, Cyclohexanone, Fumed...
  11. Flapper

Compression fittings for 3/4" and 1"

Is it at all possible to get compression fittings (couplings, elbows, tees, etc) for 3/4" and 1" in the USA?! I searched everywhere and all I could find are lots of the smaller size stuff. There are 1" ball valves and 3/4" flexes with compression connections but why not fittings??
  12. Flapper

Solder ring fittings

Is it possible to get solder ring fittings in the USA? (that are the right size)
  13. Flapper

Where do you buy your stuff?

I am just wondering where the people of this community, professionals and "DIYers", usually buy their plumbing stuff.
  14. Flapper

What do you call those things that stick out of a ground or wall...

You know those plumbing assembles, that consist of a pipe coming out of a ground or wall, to go through some valves and devices, and back in? Like for an RPZ or PRV. Outside you may have an RPZ on one and inside you may have a PRV and main valve. Do they have a name or something? Here is an...
  15. Flapper

Sharkbite vs EPC or Mueller

I will need to do a project using 1" push fittings and I have two options; Sharkbite brand fittings from Home Depot or generic "Blue Hawk" branded fittings from Lowe's. Update: I think the generic fittings at Lowe's are the same as TecTite, which seems to be a trustworthy brand. I am now...
  16. Flapper

PVC pipe & fittings easy to insert last time but hard to insert this time

About a week or so ago I did a PVC pipe project and I got all new materials. The pipe fit into the fittings easily, they bottomed out and didn't get stuck and were easy to remove. Likewise, while gluing, it was easy to insert the fittings. Today I did another PVC project but this time it was...
  17. Flapper

Drip Irrigation system often leaks at barb connections to mainline

For some reason the connection between the barbs to the mainline tends to leak. I've got some connections dripping water where I don't want it to drip. What causes it? I suspect leaking connections are caused by a rough hole. How do I fix it? I can only think of just flowing some sealant or...
  18. Flapper

Filter+Regulator Before or After valve?

(For Drip systems) I've always seen the filter and regulator after the valve. It is recommended to have a filter before the valve. So I thought, why not put the filter + regulator unit before the valve?
  19. Flapper

Welding PVC ball valves

When welding PVC ball valves, is it ok for the glue/primer to touch the ball/seal stuff? I think it would be difficult to avoid when gluing ball valves with slip joints. Today I ran into a bit of a worry. I had a ball valve, one end connected to the water supply, which was on, and the valve was...
  20. Flapper

How much PTFE tape should I use?

A fair amount of threaded connections that we made, have leaked, and I learned that I need to use more tape. So when I do a connection, I wrap it 10-20 times. But people say you wrap it like 3-5 times! And I consume a lot of expensive tape. How much tape should I be using? One source said that...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks