Search results

1. GerardP

Katalox Light raises pH above legal limit

Thanks again Reach4. I've just had a look at the Pentair catalogue and I agree with the part you've shown in softenerparts.com. I too think the 3/4 is the thread size and the 8 - 25 g/min buttons fit with the 3/4 to 3/4 brass fitting and the smaller buttons fit the 3/4 to 1/2 fitting. I'm...
  2. GerardP

Thanks Reach4 - I'd never realised that this bit on the valve controlled the flow and always thought it was just a straight through bit of brass. I'd wrongly assumed the DLFC would be something I could adjust in situ rather than unscrew and fit another one. Shows how lacking my knowledge is in...
  3. GerardP

I haven't taken the temperature of the water but I suspect it is nearer 10 degrees than 20 as even in winter when the pump house is around 10 degrees the tank feels cold. In summer (and we're very lucky if it gets to 20 degrees here in the highlands) there is always a lot of condensation on the...
  4. GerardP

I've just got back from another visit to the house and submitted another sample for testing. It seems that everything has changed and those saying the pH problem would eventually self correct are absolutely right! The latest pH reading is 7.8. However this pH correction comes with a huge...
  5. GerardP

Many thanks for all the posts. I’m sorry it has taken me so long to repost and reply. I’ve been up at the house and forgot my laptop charger so couldn’t log in! As suggested right at the start I went and checked the real backwash rates. When the system was installed some time ago the...
  6. GerardP

Katalox Light Backwash Rate

Sorry, somehow I posted a reply in this thread instead of the one I started relating to high pH. It wouldn't let me delete the post so I've had to delete the original wording instead.
  7. GerardP

The system was originally designed for a BIRM/InterAg/Calcite mixture which I think is substantially heavier than Katalox. Katalox is only marginally heavier than water and so backwashing quite easily lifts and expands the bed thus allowing the dust and fines to wash out. When I installed the...
  8. GerardP

I'll measure the next time I'm up at the house which will be next weekend. The backwash is at the maximum the pump will deliver. My only way to increase the rate would be to bypass the Mazzei Air Venturi as the constriction in the Venturi will increase flow resistance. There is a bypass but...
  9. GerardP

Hi Dittohead Thanks for this post - it fits in well with what I've been thinking and what Watch Water has told me - apart from the rarity of getting high pH!! Watch Water originally said that my water must have very low buffering capacity and this would fit in with the comment about needing...
  10. GerardP

I'm afraid my set up doesn't have a DLFC button. It simply pumps through the maximum it can for as long as the timer is set for. The valve is an old Fleck 2750 pre electronic. However it's served me well and I've been through 3 pistons in the 16 years it's been running.
  11. GerardP

I haven't actually measured the backwash flow, but I have measured the flow to the house at just under 3metres/hour which equates to around 13.2US Gal/min. My tank is an 1865 which gives an area of 1.75sq ft. So the house flow rate is around 7.5 gpm/ft2. I checked with Watchwater before...
  12. GerardP

Many thanks for the reply. I'm afraid it isn't a misprint! My raw water is consistently recording a pH around 6 (as tested by a Government accredited lab) and the Katalox treated water has been tested twice by a Government Accredited laboratory and both times come it at exactly 9.8. These...
  13. GerardP

I have a property in Scotland which has a water supply from a borehole with around 9ppm Iron and 0.3ppm Mn and a pH of 5.9. I have recently installed a Katalox Light system and this has sorted the Iron and Manganese problem but the pH has rocketed to 9.8 which is above the UK legal limit for...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks