Search results

1. D

Help with Kohler Tub Install Challenge

Jim, Sounds like Nashua has changed in the last few years. Regarding condos, I bought my condo for $102K in 1984. At one point, it was worth almost $150K. When I sold it (1993-94, I believe), I got $95K for it. :( Housing prices in the Seattle area have dropped about 25% over the...
  2. D

JAD, Hi. Yep, it's acrylic. Good tips on the cement. Looks like I'll be mixin' mud in the near future. Thanks, Dan. p.s., How is Nashua these days? I hope the economy is better. When I sold my condo in the mid '90s (after DEC folded), things were pretty bleak. (I lost some...
  3. D

Hi. It's been a long time, but I'm still plugging away on my master bath. There's lots of progress including: - Shower is tiled - Heat mat, then ditra, then tile installed on floor - Tub deck built and tiled (deck and backsplash) That's the good news. The bad news is that I have a...
  4. D

Removing Grohe Ceramic Cartridge

Hi. I'm installing a Grohe tub filler set into a deck tub: http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/25049/. According to the instructions, the ceramic cartridge (Item 6 and 7 in the parts list and exploded diagram) has to be removed before soldering. Here's the problem... Unlike the...
  5. D

Zurn PEX by Non-Plumber

I have no problem with copper. I can use copper, but where it's located, PEX would be easier. Regarding PEX, AFAIK the metal fittings only come in brass or bronze. And it's the brass fittings that are failing. I've given up on PEX. I'm taking the PEX tools back and will use copper...
  6. D

Zurn PEX by Non-Plumber

99K, Thanks. I'd be happy to do that but I can't find a local vendor that sells PEX around here except the big box stores. And they sell Zurn fittings. Any suggestions for a local vendor in the Seattle area? Also, are there any bronze fittings available that are compatible with a Zurn...
  7. D

Zurn PEX by Non-Plumber

I need to install some shut-off valves in four inbound copper pipes from the main feeder pipe to the bathroom, and to connect deck-mounted tub filler and valves to the inbound copper pipe. Because of the location and the tight space, I thought of using PEX - specifically Zurn PEX. I've heard...
  8. D

Toilet Flange Hole Size

Jim, Thanks. Great feedback! Regards, Dan.
  9. D

Toilet Flange Hole Size

A somewhat strange question about the size of the hole in the sub-floor for the toilet flange... The toilet drain pipe is roughed in and sticks up through the sub-floor. The pipe is ABS and is 3.5" OD. Months ago, I cut a 4" hole in the new sub-floor for the drain pipe. And finally I'm...
  10. D

Toilet, tub, and sink draining very slowly. Need help!

Terry, Thanks mucho. Obviously the first order of business is getting the drain cleaned. Do you know of a good company in the Bellevue\Kirkland area that cleans drains? After the drain is cleaned, I'd like to get rid of our toilet anyway. I'll be buyin' it from you folks. I can...
  11. D

Toilet, tub, and sink draining very slowly. Need help!

Hi. Our guest bathroom toilet, tub, and sink are draining very slowly. A plumber gave us a free etimate to fix the problem. :confused: (I don't believe in "free".) The plumber said the old toilet was clogged with lime deposits. To fix the draining problem, he wants to sell us a Toto Drake...
  12. D

Bathroom Fan Vent in Washington State - Soffit Vs Roof

Thanks for the feedback Jimbo and Jim, Thanks. It turns out that there is no gable end wall. After thinking about this some more, I'm going to have roof vent caps installed. Besides providing better ventilation, it will make any maintenance somewhat easier. (The working space where the...
  13. D

Bathroom Fan Vent in Washington State - Soffit Vs Roof

Hi. As part of a bathroom remodel, I installed new Panasonic vent fans (2) in the bathoom. :) When tested with NO ductwork attached, they were quiet and sucked a lot of air. That's the good news... The bad news is that the original builder used 3" ducts in the original fans. After...
  14. D

Toilet Flange Installation for Dummies?

Great feedback! Thanks. That said, I found something else about the toilet plumbing. It looks like the drain and vent connections are very close to the flange. I'll take pics and post tomorrow. Thanks again, Dan.
  15. D

Is this not an easy project? Hi. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I believe the flange is glued to an ABS pipe. Regarding brass, I assume plumber1 is referring to orange part in the pic. (I don't see any brass fittings although I could easily be mistaken.) Also, the flange and and piple...
  16. D

Hi. I'm a newbie here and have limited plumbing experience. I need help with a toilet flange - I think it needs to be replaced. I'm remodeling our bathroom and replacing the bathroom particle board subfloor with two layers of plywood. On top of this will be a Schluter Ditra uncoupling...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks