Search results

1. scatkins

Use of Pre-soldered copper fittings?

A further note: One possible downfall that I noticed in using was that because of the presence of solder it is harder to get the inside of the fitting prepared. I found that in 1/2" fittings that I need to be careful when using the wire brush to clean up the inside of the fitting. I especially...
  2. scatkins

What to do if water in pipe when soldering?

Jet Sweat I fiddled around for years trying to use bread, gel bubbles and saddle valves. Until recently I found nothing that worked well in all cases. My worst case situation is on a concrete slab where you have to solder onto a vertical pipe that sticks out like 2" at the lowest point in the...
  3. scatkins

Tried some out. Actually they worked quite nicely. Fed them a little bit extra solder, but that didn't seem to be necessary. I agree, they might tempt a novice to just stick the fittings together and heat without proper preparation which is still required. But in using them in an area...
  4. scatkins

I understand what they are and that they cost more (although at the big box stores the price was pretty much the same at least for 1/2. In fact I've found several local stores that seem to only be stocking the presoldered parts. But I guess I'm looking for is first hand experiance with them...
  5. scatkins

Does anyone have any experiance using the pre-soldered copper fittings that I've been seeing? Seems like a great idea, any pitfalls?
  6. scatkins

Connecting addition into existing DWV?

hj, I agree, and that will happen, but... at this point I'm just trying to do my homework in advance so I know the issues.
  7. scatkins

There will be an elevation difference between the addition and tap in points so that shouldn't be a problem. Sounds if my life will be best if I go the outside route. Got a few sidewalks to rip up, but that is a lot simpler than dealing with the slab. And it will probably work a lot better any...
  8. scatkins

I'm planning for a home addition where I'm going to add one possibly two new bathrooms. This is all single story on slab. 45 year old house. All of the underground is cast bell and hub. I've done recent remodeling and mods to the DWV in two the bathrooms and the existing DWV seems to all be...
  9. scatkins

Pipe Fittings

In general you need a Union to make any pipe fitting (PVC, metal etc) removable without a cut. But, why do you need to remove the fitting to change the sand? THere are no access panels on the filter? I've always used DE filters on Pools, but I don't believe you change the sand on a sand...
  10. scatkins

Any links installing shower pan with panels??

Johnbridge.com is by far the best way to go plus the moderaters and people on the forum are really helpful and patient. Most of the books on the market don't really even explain correctly.
  11. scatkins

replacing stand up shower with bathtub?

Only bad thing about doing this is that technically you just turned your Full bath into a 3/4 bath (since you removed the shower). So think hard about this since when you go to sell it will need to be listed this way and could potentially have an economic impact. In my case, I installed a...
  12. scatkins

K-922-CP, Bathtub ceiling faucet

THe Kohler part you see in the picture is not a faucet only the remote filler. TO install this, you use a faucet which supports a remote filler. These aren't all that common with the cheap junk you buy at the local big box stores (i.e Price Fister, Delta etc). But most of the nicer stuff VOLA...
  13. scatkins

Whirlpool spa and Plumbing codes

Based on my reading of the current plumbing codes: the code is that you need access if you are using a slip joint (i.e to tie the tub tailpipe to the trap) in tub installations. So, I guess nowdays the trend is to use ABS/PVS and use perm glue joints. So if you do that no access is needed...
  14. scatkins

Pressure Balance Shower valve

Unfortunately, most of these low cost brands (Price Fister, Delta etc) are kind of cheap and ugly looking. I really like to use high quality stuff like VOLA or Kohler with ceramic valves, but it looks like these guys make some of their stuff in pressure balanced, (but not all).
  15. scatkins

mating a vent with ABS

Mating Steel/Cast Iron to ABS DWV Actually, I think I solved my own problem with some more research, so I'll post for those in the future. The way you mate an existing cast iron or Steel vent to new work ABS is to 1) support the vertical metal vent with a pipe strap that is attached...
  16. scatkins

Pressure Balance Shower valve

Kind of confused. I keep hearing that the use of a pressure balanced/thermostatic shower valve is required for most building codes? I understand the value of this, but it really isn't a big deal to me. 1) is this one of those relatively new UPC things? 2) Does this mean I have to use this...
  17. scatkins

mating a vent with ABS

I'm working on a bathroom remodel. The house is 40+ years old on slab with cast iron DWV. I need to cut the vertical vent that goes out the roof (single story house) to add a ABS T below grade (I'm trying to mate a new shower up with the existing DWV). So, I'm trying to figure out the...
  18. scatkins

Whirlpool spa and Plumbing codes

Question about plumbing codes (I'm in southern california) I'm replacing a bathtub with a fiberglass Whirlpool spa (non-heated). I realize that it is is a good idea to provide access to the motor as well as to wet wall access covers (which of course is at opposite ends of the tub). But my...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks