Search results

1. doughboy63

Rewiring a house

Hello all, Just moved into a new house in Dec '07. Built in 1928 2.5 story with a full basement. Most of the house is non grounded K&T. I know if left alone it is ok, but previous owners have made a mess of it in the basement and it makes me nervous. I plan to finish the basement and...
  2. doughboy63

Sewer Gas Smell After Flushing

Mike, I went up on the roof this morning before posting. I could not see anything in the stack and ran my little DIY snake as far as it would go. It went down pretty easy. I will try the hose after dinner. HJ it is used everyday as a shower. Thanks guys, I will post after I try the hose.
  3. doughboy63

The sink has always drained slow. We have lived here only a few months and it has been lower on the priority list. This sink actually doesn't have an overflow. It is marble and just has the drain. This house was built in '57 and there is a stack coming out the roof above this bathroom. What...
  4. doughboy63

Thanks for the reply Jim. I am not sure what you mean by the bowl still being full. It flushes normally, and having a normal water spot in the bottom after filling. I thought about it siphoning the sink. The sink actually drains really slow which I don't know if it is related, but I did fill...
  5. doughboy63

After we flush the toilet in the full hall bath there is a very strong sewer smell in the room. It goes away with time and then when you flush, it is back again. The toilet does not rock. Would the wax ring be the first place to start and replace that? No water leaks at the toilet. Any...
  6. doughboy63

Plastic Nut Basin Wrench

That is true Mikey, and it is only like $10 to boot. That is a sweet Idea Mark! I actually need to tighten down the existing nuts though. So I think I will buy both a regular basin wrench and this other one. Just in case;)
  7. doughboy63

Plastic Nut Basin Wrench

Thanks guys, I did edit my post from before to include a pic of the wrench. I hate to buy such a specific tool when a multitasker will get the job done.
  8. doughboy63

Plastic Nut Basin Wrench

I have plastic nuts that secure my kitchen faucet to the sink. I do not have a basin wrench and hand tightening only holds for so long. I see RIDGID makes a plastic nut basin wrench, obviously this would work perfect. My question is will a regular basin wrench work on these plastic nuts? I...
  9. doughboy63

Shower Head Leaking

I know this is pretty forward but I am a huge Seahawks fan, what are the chances you make theirs as well? I don't mind paying.
  10. doughboy63

Whole house water shutoff

My house was built in 1957 hj. I don't know if that would be old enough to not have a whole house shut off or not. I have not checked the crawl yet to be honest. It is pretty tight under there and I am a pretty big guy. Where the main enters the house is about 3/4 of the way under the house...
  11. doughboy63

I just bought a curb key. It isnt that much harder to run down to the curb in case of an emergency than it would to go out to the laundry room and quicker if it needed to be in the crawl space. I actually have done one plumbing project. I replaced a tub/shower valve, and I just went down to...
  12. doughboy63

Kilz2 Primer

Seriously, check out Behr ultra bright white. I had to repaint the bathroom with a duller/less bright white because it made my "white" tile look quite gray.
  13. doughboy63

Kilz2 Primer

When I moved into my current house I repainted the entire thing(ceilings, walls, and trim). I primed and did two tops coats. Took forever, well not really forever, but painting is so boring. anyway you can imagine since the trim was the last to get top coat I thought about leaving it just...
  14. doughboy63

Rusty water in new tub/shower valve

Thanks for the further explanation. I used iron because that is what the installation instructions said to use. I wasn't looking for it in HD but did not notice Brass pipe. Is this carried at the big box store or just supply houses? I ended up needing a 6 1/4" peice threaded on both ends...
  15. doughboy63

I can see that as a solution. But the previous setup which was approx 50 yrs old did not do this. I would have reused the pipe but it turned out to be too short with the new spout. Will this continue for days, weeks, etc?
  16. doughboy63

This weekend I installed a new tub/shower valve including new iron pipe and elbow that comes down from the union to the downspout. Each morning the first time the water is turned on rusty water initially comes out. I realized this is probably just the water oxidizing the new iron pipe. My...
  17. doughboy63

thanks jimbo. The guy from the water dept said the same thing as you. The only thing I see is a hose bib coming out of the brick. I just recently moved to SC but freezing must not be an issue here either. The meter is about a foot down but only one stop. Since they are so cheap I may just...
  18. doughboy63

Thanks Lancaster and Mike. Exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone know how common it is not to have a cutoff in the house?
  19. doughboy63

So today I had a pipe break out in the back yard that leads to a free standing hose bib. I have only lived in this house a few months and have not had to shut the water to the entire house off yet. Anyway I run to the laundry room which houses the water heater. This was the logical place for...
  20. doughboy63

Am I alone?

I'll agree to that. I do not contribute since my knowledge level is quite low, however I read this forum like crazy. I am a first time homeowner in a 50 yr old home with quite a bit of fixin to be done. The knowledge you can pick up here is great and I appreciate all the pros and seasoned...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks