Search results

1. ToBeFrank

Removing soldered water pressure regulator?

Finally it went to plan. I went with a soldered ball valve, and the new PRV is installed. How much difference should I see between the static and dynamic pressure? I've got 75 PSI static, which I've verified I can set to whatever I want with the PRV. With one faucet open it drops to 60 PSI, and...
  2. ToBeFrank

Baby steps... I found the curb water shut off. I didn't find it the first time because it was buried under 6 inches of rock and dirt. Tomorrow I'll shut the water off at the curb, remove the PRV, suck the water out of the pipe to below the main gate valve using a tube, and then desolder the gate...
  3. ToBeFrank

Ok, on to the next problem. The old PRV's union gasket is in a recess. The new one just sits on top. The added height of the new gasket makes the old union nut one thread short of being able to engage no matter how hard I try to bring the pipes together to squish the gasket. The new union nut is...
  4. ToBeFrank

Success! Next question... how do I clean the solder out of the threads so I can put the new regulator on?
  5. ToBeFrank

Actually, now that I think about it, I would have to disconnect the bottom of the PRV to fully drain the water. Back out I go.
  6. ToBeFrank

I opened the hose bib to drain the water, but there was still a small stream coming out. Does it have to be completely dry before it will desolder?
  7. ToBeFrank

My water pressure regulator is old and worn out, and I am attempting to replace it myself. The nut on the bottom loosens with no problems. The top, however, appears to have been soldered. You can see the big glob of solder in the picture below. I already hit it with a propane torch for several...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks