Search results

1. DerekW

Newbie Question: Toilet Install

Dubious Honor: Winning the Bad Plumbing Lottery! Terry/Jimbo/All, Just back on-line after a day off... Thanks for your last responses! (BTW, if you're tired of this thread and don't want to spend any more energy I understand!). Well, when I first wrote my initial question I sure...
  2. DerekW

Different Views Make the World Go Round! Thanks Everyone! Now I understand what I've got (san tee); the fact that it's not the best solution; what the risks are of just leaving it there; and what a wye and/or combo is. There are two other bathrooms in this house, and I suspect we have san...
  3. DerekW

Mystery Solved.... Good News/Bad News!! Terry & Jimbo, Thanks for the schematics and the link to Nibco! After reviewing the pics and taking a ride to the local builders supply in town, I believe the mystery is solved! :) But the bad news....I'm 99% sure it is a 3" sanitary (san?) tee...
  4. DerekW

Could be a Tee Wye....Patrick? Not to beat this to death but Patrick, if you're still out there I might have the "tee wye" you suggested. There is a "coupling" under where the toilet will go, into which the ends of the horizontal waste pipe is connected. I suspect this is called a tee. Off...
  5. DerekW

Jimbo, Patrick, Gary, Thanks for your responses. Sorry guys, I'm a newb and don't know what vent Ts, san Ts, and tee wyes are, so I can't confirm that's what I have or not. The reason I said I thought it might be a "Y" was that there is a slope on one side of the fixture going in to the...
  6. DerekW

Cass, thank you. The picture may not be the best. I believe the rough pipe is a "Y" not a "T" (hard to tell in the pic). The rough plumbing has been in a number of years but passed a plumbing inspection when the house was built. The cut-out is a little large as you observed, but the...
  7. DerekW

Hello Everyone, I have a very basic question about the right flange for a toilet install. I am working on finishing a master bath and am about to put down underlayment and ceramic tile on the floor. The existing rough waste pipe (PVC) I need to connect to is 4" outside diameter, (3" Santee)...
  8. DerekW

How to Level a PVC Shower Drain?

Thanks Everyone... Jim, thanks...yes, I've noticed that about dry-fitting PVC. (see you back on jb.com) Thanks everyone...off to do some work... Will probably be back....only have a house to finish! DerekW:)
  9. DerekW

Genie/Grumpy/Frenchie? Why Not Hire a Pro? Thanks markts....I know my last post was long but I was trying to respond to people's comments of not being clear enough or not giving enough info. I guess I lost my other helpers in the process! :( Because the existing assemblage is out of...
  10. DerekW

Better Explanation (Hopefully) and More Pics... Shucks, looks like I'm either frustrating you good people by not being clear or giving enough info...certainly not what I intended :o Will try to fix that here. Also, I'm very willing to try the solutions already proposed to me...I just have...
  11. DerekW

OK, I'm Wearing Down... :confused: Frenchie, thanks for chiming in... I understand cutting/replacing the p-trap is the most "elegant" (correct?) solution. I will have to cut out a much larger section of sub-floor to do this but it can be done. I'm just wondering if (as a newbie) I will be...
  12. DerekW

A New Solution? Markts...thanks for your response. I'm sorry but I have to ask...what's a shielded coupling (vs. a glued one)? If that's the fix I'll be happy to use it. MadPlumber...sorry for being confusing...maybe you have to read the whole thread (maybe not!). The "shimming" I...
  13. DerekW

One More Thought... As I was shimming the p-trap up to get it higher I noticed that the shimming also brought it very near plumb in one direction ("front to back"). This means that the existing assemblage is now only out of plumb in one direction ("side to side", as shown in attached pics #3...
  14. DerekW

Thanks Terry, I'm sure that's the proper fix. I was going through the other maneuvers Grumpy and Matt suggested because to cut the whole p-trap out I would have to get access by cutting out a much larger section of the shower subfloor, or come up from beneath and cut out a section of the...
  15. DerekW

Just a Couple More Questions.... Grumpy/All, thanks for the advice. It took a little while to get back to the project... I have the 2 street 22's and understand what you are saying about working them around and marking them to get a plumb riser. Just a couple more questions: 1) is it OK...
  16. DerekW

Thanks All! Have been away from internet access for a couple days... I found a couple regular 22's but am having trouble finding the street 22's at either of the big box stores. May have to try a plumbing supply house tomorrow or Thurs. But I think I get the concept and agree it doesn't...
  17. DerekW

Good Ideas... Thanks all, Grumpy, I glued the coupling because I don't even know how to spell "pipe" (duh). Do you mean never glue coupling or 22 joints, or only until you've marked them for plumb? As I said... can't spell "pipe"! Matt/Markts...thanks for the ideas! Will get a couple...
  18. DerekW

A Few More Pictures... Hello Genie/Grumpy & All: I'm now at the project house and most everything I said previously was correct with one exception...after cutting off the original riser/drain attachment I only glued a coupling back on to the riser stem. I still need to glue in the next...
  19. DerekW

OK I fess up to being "plumbing dumb"... Thanks Grumpy. I have to admit, I wasn't sure at first what you were talking about but I think the "street" and regular 22's are elbow joints. I will confirm that and will also write back to answer Genie's question about how "out-of-plumb" the whole...
  20. DerekW

Good Questions Genie/Grumpy (hmmm...is there a Terry Love Plumbing version of the 7 dwarfs?? :D ), Thanks a lot for responding! Good questions; sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not at the house now but will be there Friday afternoon and will answer your questions accurately/definitively. The...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks