Search results

1. PlumberJeff

Hey Terry or anyone Grohmix trim question

What does it take to pull a round trim plate from a grohflex? It looks like gentle pryage should work. I'm going back to fixmy first install which didn't seat right. It would be great not to look like a noob in front of my irate, picky customer. Ok, first install of one of these but 40 years...
  2. PlumberJeff

Vent issue new basement bathroom

I'm glad you got it figured out. I don't know what "rated for in wall installation" means regarding the AAV . If installed in a wall, they must be accessible for service and have free air circulation. Some come with a spiffy plastic box and trim plate to accomplish this. If you have a hole in...
  3. PlumberJeff

Mixet balance spool probably clogged

This is similar to a Moentrol balancing spool, same as Delta. You might catch it with a basin wrench. Try the below first, then basin wrench, then hammer and chisel. I've drilled them before, too. Believe it or not, it's just a dinky oring sealing it, along with brass to brass corrosion. Have...
  4. PlumberJeff

Toilet seat w/stainless hinges

Take a look at this Bemis with easy clean hinges. The top part turns to the left and the whole seat comes right off for cleaning: http://www.bemisseats.com/catalog/wholesale/model/7B1200SLOWT/ Kohler makes one too, it unclips and comes right off...
  5. PlumberJeff

Vent Question - 1901 Brick House, moving kitchen sink

Check and see if an AAV (air admittance valve, AKA mechanical vent) is legal in your area. If so, mount one as high as feasible in the kitchen sink cabinet, tie into the sink waste arm with a san tee, and then run your new 2" drain to the stack or tie back in to the old drain if it's 2". Don't...
  6. PlumberJeff

Do I have to replace this pipe?

Hey Terry What's your cost on the dearborn trap? Does a local vendor carry it? I would know where to get Dearborn Brass, but our purchasing dept buys everything. Thanks.
  7. PlumberJeff

Terry- Sorry if my reply was unclear. What did you mean when you said: "eliminate the extra piece"? This confused me. Yes, the Dearborn looks pretty nice, better for reversing than most plastic ones. Yes, disposal works with the reverse trap. I too, drop the RI in the wall or reverse the...
  8. PlumberJeff

I'm not sure what Terry means regarding "eliminating the extra piece" and then blowing off installing the trap correctly. Putting it in the right way (trim off the disposal ell and lose the white extension) will give it the correct trap seal depth, help it drain better and be less prone to...
  9. PlumberJeff

Kitchen Sink Rearrange plumbing

It doesn't matter if it hits the hot supply pipe, as long as it's not bending it, but as I said above, mock it up and see what works best. Stick a 6" piece of pipe in a 45, and hold it up below the existing drain with the end of the fitting 1" towards the wall from the back of the adapter that's...
  10. PlumberJeff

Kitchen Sink Rearrange plumbing

You can glue a Female adapter onto the trap adapter that's there (primer and glue the threads, then screw it on) and glue a street 45 or street 60 into that. You can get the line a lot further back by cutting it off right behind the existing adapter and gluing a 45 or 60 on it. I would wait...
  11. PlumberJeff

Shower valve hole too small to allow replacement...how to enlarge?

I would use my cheap import imitation Fein Saw (multi-tool). Perfect for this. It's really easy to control depth of cut. Fein version is around $400, Harbor Freight has them for $20 or $40. I use the heck out of my $40 unit. And it's *great* for sheetrock.
  12. PlumberJeff

remodel plate

This is a hot tip, thank you. I haven't seen these before; the info will get shared around our shop, for sure.
  13. PlumberJeff

Has anybody seen one?

What brand? I'm open to suggestion at this point. I have found some 3 3/8" solutions with hand sprayer and diverter that are 1/2" wall mount. Sign of the Crab has them for $550 or so (plus stops , which don't look pleasant between the wall mounting flange and the wall).
  14. PlumberJeff

Has anybody seen one?

Thanks for the links. I've looked at a bunch of these, and they're all too fancy and $$$ for the old downtown building I'm working on.
  15. PlumberJeff

Has anybody seen one?

Delta Delex were available like this, too, in the past. Very handy for 11" center tub valve replacements
  16. PlumberJeff

Trap/drain on disposer

Bite the bullet. Open the wall, lower the sanitary tee (behind the wye at the wall) about 4-5" and your life will be carefree. Figure the minimum amount lower you think it needs to be and add 1" for the actual new height. You can plan on replacing the wye, san tee and trap adapters. Hack the...
  17. PlumberJeff

The idea is to have it look like the trap on the other side of the sink
  18. PlumberJeff

It's really not that complex. There is a trap. Take it off of the disposal waste ell and the pvc piece. Take off the pvc piece. See if the trap fits back on without the pvc section. It might be necessary to trim a little of the black plastic disposal waste arm to get it to fit. It is also...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks