Search results

1. JaySamaha

Sewer Odor, installed new toilet, replaced wax ring twice, still have odor

Final Update: Went on vacation for a two weeks and prayed that my odor problem would magically vanish upon my return home. It didn't. Pulled the toilet for the fourth or fifth time, installed another wax ring, but the odor continued. I knew I was out of my league so I called a licensed...
  2. JaySamaha

Then perhaps I wasn't sealing the wax ring correctly. However, I've installed three or four toilets before and never had this problem before (but I'm definitely a novice!). Where else might the odor have been coming from? Or are you just insinuating that I must have done the wax seal wrong?
  3. JaySamaha

So I took an entire wax ring and broke it up and pushed it under the space between the flange and the floor in the back and everywhere else I could. I smeared it around the closet bolts and the slots they go in. I then set the sani seal on and mounted the toilet. So far, so good. I did it...
  4. JaySamaha

Thanks but rocking was never a problem for this toilet. That's one of the reasons it's a bit of a mystery to me. But I did clean up the flange as best I could and put down the saniseal and tightened the bolts. Hoping for the best (but not too confident)!
  5. JaySamaha

Ok. So thank you all for your insight and help. I finally got back to this project and lifted the toilet (for the third time). What I found is that the flange is not as rusted as I thought. (I think I watched too many youtube videos of rusted flanges.) What I did find though was...
  6. JaySamaha

The only thing I changed in the bathroom was the toilet. The sewer smell isn't like rotten eggs (i've had that smell before in the basement) but more like an outhouse or porta potty. What else could that be besides the toilet?
  7. JaySamaha

Thanks for all the help! I am going to start this afternoon by simply replacing the wax ring with one of those green sani-seal rings. If I still detect the odor I am going to replace the flange. If I need to replace the flange and I drill the old cast iron flange, is there a special type of...
  8. JaySamaha

Thanks. I'll give that a try, since it seems like the easiet solution. My best guess though is that I'm gonna have to replace the closet flange.
  9. JaySamaha

Wallijonn, Thanks for the tips. I watched both links. The second link is more like what I have. A cast iron flange that is rusted but the flange bolts and the slots they fit in are intact. If I need to remove the cast iron flange with a hammer and cold chisel, what would happen if I...
  10. JaySamaha

Yes. The gap is very slight at the base of the toilet and the tile. It's like the tile dips down in that area.
  11. JaySamaha

Are you saying that the odor could be coming from the flooring and not the toilet? The old toilet did not leak (water or gas) I don't think. I pushed some wax into the gap before setting the new wax ring down. I used an Oatey jumbo wax ring. Is it possible to need two of these or add another...
  12. JaySamaha

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have read threads that have similar problems but none seem to exactly fit. I replaced an old toilet (probably from early 80s) with a new one. Everything seemed to work out well, but later on that day I detected a sewer odor. I figured that I must not have...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks