Search results

1. Bmusgrove

The case for plastic lined nipples vs Di-electric unions.

I just replaced a 21 year old Whirlpool electric heater. Prior to doing this, I researched whether to use a dielectric union (as recommended by the new heaters manufacturer AO Smith), brass, or keep the plastic lined heat trap nipples that comes with the new AO Smith water heater. Opinions on...
  2. Bmusgrove

1/4 turn shut off required by code for residential sink hot water supply???

Is a 1/4 turn shutoff required by code for the hot water line to household sinks? North Central Texas area. Background - Recently experienced a valve bonnet failure on a toilet water supply stop, causing a few thousand dollars of damage. After visually inspecting several other stop valves in...
  3. Bmusgrove

Bathtub leveling with mortar - Minimum thickness?

Unfortunately the floor does not have a low spot. Checked it 12 ways from sundown with straight edges and levels. A flat edge on the foam shows a definite curve up on the foam in that corner. Yes its not a huge area. I would estimate if you took a 8x8 to 10x10 tile and cut them in half to form...
  4. Bmusgrove

I should have clarified that.. The manufacturer support line says "lift the tub a little and shovel some mortar in that spot". my concern is at that thickness the mortar will not hold after repeated use. That it will eventually crumble. Additional clarification: The section in question would be...
  5. Bmusgrove

Using a Empire True Blue 4 foot digital level, the tub is level side to side at the front, middle and back, and level front to back on the right side. By level it is 0-0.05 degree, and that is only at the front measuring side to side. All other measurements are zero degrees. Yes I did calibrate...
  6. Bmusgrove

The foam pad on the Bottom of the top is not consistent. The floor is level front to back side to side and diagonally. No dips checking withh a 4 foot level for a straight edge, Either visually, using a wooden shim, or by turning off the lights and shining a flash light along the edge.
  7. Bmusgrove

I am installing a Bootzcast tub as part a remodel. This tub has the self leveling foam pad attached to the bottom. When the tub is installed in the alcove on a level ledger board, and the tub level front to back and side to side (measured at the front, middle and back) there is a gap on the...
  8. Bmusgrove

Bathtub levelling conceptual error

Its a porcelain on steel not cast iron :) not that it makes a difference as far as procedure goes. Didn't intent to try and build a full contact flat layer. That would be difficult even for a pro, especially when your foam base may not be flat and parallel. I would build a low ridge (only...
  9. Bmusgrove

The floor is mostly level :). I did have to remove the existing 3/4 OSB and level it out and the floor is level front to back , side to side and diagonally within 1/16 over 4 feet. The tub pad is probably the cause. I contacted the manufacturer and their tech said do not use shims. I was...
  10. Bmusgrove

This question is just for my own learning. I've read a many ways to level the tub. I have a Bootz Maui cast tub with a foam support pad under it. The instructional video says the foam pad should be in full contact with the sub floor, but then says to use wooden shims to level the tub if it is...
  11. Bmusgrove

New grey c looked Fernco coupler

First I apologize for not proofreading the title. Very bad grammr. The local wholesale plumbing supply said the grey is all he can get in that size. I did manage to find the older black coupling in the correct size but the 1 1/4 end is actually larger than the new grey one and my old black...
  12. Bmusgrove

New grey c looked Fernco coupler

Went to the supply store to get a new 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 Fernco coupling. My old one is made of a thick heavy black material like a stiff rubber. The new ones are made out of a thinner more flexible grey material. It feels as if would tear very easily. These are Fernco branded items. Any idea on...
  13. Bmusgrove

New bathtub recommendations?

May have to replace my builders grade enameled steel tub. 60 inch x 30 Inch left hand drain. Big box store has BootZCast unstuck and American Standard available for order. I have other places I could go to. Any recommendations? Its for the second / guest / kids bathroom so nothing fancy is...
  14. Bmusgrove

Enameled steel tub rusted flange

I have a installed enamel steel tub that tilts towards the right front corner. While removing the wall for mold remediation and remodel I noted that that corner of the flange is rusting. Checking with a level shows the tub has a slight tilt to that corner, which is where the mold started. That...
  15. Bmusgrove

Toilet flange repair -Metal flange on concrete.

He used a solid metal repair ring. Since he also cracked the tile I am going to have to chip the tile out and fix it . As long as I am goign that far I would like to replace the flange assembly instead of repairing it if possible. I suppose the Oaret Moss Bay Flange my be a suitable replacement...
  16. Bmusgrove

Toilet flange repair -Metal flange on concrete.

I have a toilet with the metal flanged PVC . The attached picture is the style I have, just not a picture of mine. The metal has corroded and rusted. I had a "professional " plumber come in and he repaired it using a PASCO 210132 metal ring. After that the Toilet rocked and starting leaking. In...
  17. Bmusgrove

Exterior vs interior wall cavities for water supply - just curious

By any chance are your bubblehead? That's exactly what I would expect from a fellow bubblehead! :)
  18. Bmusgrove

The pipes run up a non insulated exterior garage wall. Another head scratcher. The WH could easily have been inside or outside. Remove the closet door , wall it up and cut a door in side the house. I wonder if it's facing into the garage because it's designed take electric or gas... Doesn't...
  19. Bmusgrove

This is just a post out of curiosity. Please note that when I say Right or Left in this, I am referring to right or left while looking at the front of the house. I have a 2 story house. The 2nd floor has a master bath and Full guest bath. Bath room arrangement is Left Side of the House -...
  20. Bmusgrove

Need to move shower drain 0.5 inches

For various reasons I prefer to move the shower pan and tub against the studs instead of furring out three walls 1/2 inch. Florstone Saflor recessed shower pan http://www.florestone.com/shower_receptors/edgeShower.html
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks