Search results

1. detroittola

Kitchen peninsula receptacles under 42" bar countertop with 13" overhang

Haha! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I cut the holes today and will wire them up when they arrive, hopefully tomorrow.
  2. detroittola

This is still part of the grey area. These 2 outlets would be on the living room side of the peninsula. My gas range is on the opposite side (kitchen side) of this same peninsula though. So if these outlets were under an overhang of 6" or less, they would count as the required countertop...
  3. detroittola

I realize that a receptacle on a peninsula less than 12" below the countertop but under an overhang greater than 6" will not count as the required peninsula receptacle, but can it still be there? I have read this over and over in the 2011 NEC and I do not see that I can't put one there. I only...
  4. detroittola

Washing Machine Drain in Kitchen

We won't run them both at the same time although we put in a deep single basin sink so I'm sure it can handle a backup if it ever happens. The most water my washer will ever use is 13 gallons for a full load.
  5. detroittola

I 100% agree with everything that you said.
  6. detroittola

Yes, off of the shared parking garage. It's not uncommon for clothes to be stolen from these machines. I am the owner, so yes.
  7. detroittola

My drain is actually 1 1/2". The 3/4" PVC is effectively an extended drain hose since it is the same size as the hose. The place was built in 1972. It works so far and I don't even see any water backing up in the sink.
  8. detroittola

I cannot have a washer/dryer in my condo unit and still follow code. If possible, I would have done exactly that. All I was asking for were possible problems associated with my work around. I don't see a safety issue and no one has pointed one out. I have ran it a couple of times now and it...
  9. detroittola

I'm not looking for anyone's approval. I knew it wasn't up to code when I started. I'm looking for reasons that it won't work that I might have missed. So far I know that I could burn out my drain pump. I'm willing to accept this as a risk. I've heard of no other negative scenarios that are...
  10. detroittola

Clearance is a big issue. I can barely fit the 3/4" PVC in the back of the cabinets and behind the dishwasher. I wanted to run 1 1/2" but it just wouldn't fit. By running 3/4" PVC, I effectively extended the drain hose and then deleted the required air gap by sealing the drain hose to the PVC.
  11. detroittola

I'm using the same old disposal. I cleaned it out real good and it still works great. I will return everything to legal before I move out. It won't take long.
  12. detroittola

I don't see any other way to do a semi-permanent install. The other side of the kitchen wall is the common area courtyard. If it fails on me, I guess I could run a temp drain to the sink for every wash. It will definitely all be returned to code normal before I move out.
  13. detroittola

I'm on the bottom concrete floor over the parking garage. The worst case scenario that I see is a burned out drain pump which will cost me $50.
  14. detroittola

I am installing a siphon break between the dishwasher and disposal. I would love advice on how to do it properly but I don't think it's possible being that it's a condo with no hookups. If the answer is that it cannot be done according to code than I will have to take my chances as is.
  15. detroittola

Excellent point. I am a little worried about this so I checked and a new pump costs about $50. The drain hose from the washer is also 3/4" so I basically extended the hose and sealed the drain where it should be open to air. The convenience and laundry savings are worth a $50 pump to me if it...
  16. detroittola

The hose you see will eventually be the dishwasher supply line. I went to install the dishwasher and realized that good ole HD sent me a used/returned unit. It actually still had water in it! I'm exchanging it for a new one. The brass fittings cost me about $25.
  17. detroittola

I'm about to test this setup by running the washing machine. Who thinks this won't work and why? What you are looking at is 9 feet of 3/4" SCH40 PVC from the washing machine drain to the 1 1/2" PVC tee and then through the p-trap and out to the main drain line. I don't like to violate code but...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks