Search results

1. Jim Mills

replacing lead bend

Sorry for the poor drawing. Need to replace this lead closet bend & lav drain without doing any demo to the tile floor. Existing lead line to lav is set on top of joists & burried in mud floor. I have two possible solutions. Red line represents wye off of cast for lav drain. Green...
  2. Jim Mills

replacing verticle cast with pvc

I have a 75 y/o 4" cast iron stack that services one bathroom group that needs help. The stack measures 24' from basement floor up through roof. I would like to cut the cast & replace the bottom 8', replacing the san tee & lead closet bend, and re configure the tub & lav drains, eliminating...
  3. Jim Mills

Urine smell inside a wall

Opened up a wall today to find a horizontal 4" cast drain from a toilet with a broken joint. Manage to get all the cast replaced, but everything is urine soaked, and now that the wall is opened up....man does it smell! Looks like it has been leaking for a while. They notices the smell before...
  4. Jim Mills

Boiler heat tutotial

I'll start by saying that I know almost nothing about boiler heat, except for what I have read in the past couple months. A friend of mine just purchased (against my advice) a large 1920's tutor with boiler heat, and asked me to come take a look. There was no walk through at closing, so they...
  5. Jim Mills

Alternative to ball valve with waste

I'm adding some water supply shutoffs to zone a 4 unit apartment so the individual units can be serviced without shutting off water to the other units. I want to be able to drain the lines at the valve, but I don't have a lot of confidence in ball valves with waste. I've sheared a couple off...
  6. Jim Mills

Mini radiator for bath remodel

Help! Planning a main bath remodel for a 1920's house with a single pipe steam heat system. Bath has a large radiator in it that we would like to remove. What options are available that would allow us to use the available steam, without the large radiator taking up space?
  7. Jim Mills

replacement flapper for toto gmax.

Should I get a Toto brand, or are the "replacements" from the big box ok? ie. Korky brand PS. Cant believe they are only lasting 1 year
  8. Jim Mills

remote water shutoff

Just finished some minor kitchen sink work in a 4 unit condo building & had to enter one of the other units to shut the water off to the entire building. (very poor planning). There is a way that a loop could be run to a common area in the basement, where everyone would have access to the...
  9. Jim Mills

What is a cast iron adaptor fitting?

What the hell is this thing anyway?
  10. Jim Mills

Penetrating a brick wall with 4" pvc

I just replaced some rusted out cast iron with PVC. The pipe penetrated a stone foundation wall into a crawl space. The cast had mortar around it to seal the penetration, but I had to chip it away because the PVC was slightly larger. I have plenty of clearance for the PVC, but how should I...
  11. Jim Mills

ABS or PVC, and why

For replacing cast iron drain lines...
  12. Jim Mills

changing cast & lead to ABS

Sorry for the lousy artwork. Dwg shows bathroom plumbing that is failing & needs to be replaced. I want to replace the lead closet bend with ABS. the bend has a vent entering the side of it. My bottom drawing shows how I thought I would do this adding a cleanout & connecting the vent...
  13. Jim Mills

LOOONG trap arm on toilet

I have an older 1920's home with an addition done who knows when. Maybe 40's. Anyway, a cast iron drain was added to drain a half bath in the addition as pictured. It ties into the main stack. The sloped section is about 15' long with about a 4' drop. The pipe is rusted & needs replaced...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks