Search results

1. phospholipid

Ran into a small problem replacing drain.

So I'm good then since I won't be going more than 45 and I'll be hitting a vertical. The event doesn't go horizontal until the third floor, ten feet above.
  2. phospholipid

When you say "tie in to the vent at 42 inches above the floor of higher" does that include tying in vertically? I thought the 42" was only for tying in horizontally. In my situation, I would run about 30º from vertical and then tap directly into an already perfectly vertical existing vent...
  3. phospholipid

Yeah, I think I understand his terms now. My trap arm is pitched at exactly 1/4" over it's 12" run, and then (unfortunately, as I didn't realize this was a problem) it drops into that 45º then laterally into a 90º which goes into into the sani-T. As you've mentioned, if I put the vent right at...
  4. phospholipid

So, I think that I've been clear that I'm new to this. Since, as an admitted neophyte, I don't really know the jargon, would you mind unpacking that assessment for me? I'm happy to learn and re-do it.
  5. phospholipid

This handout is fantastic. Upon reading through it, I'm noticing that the contractor who did the kitchen drains for the previous owner used the wet venting style, labeled WRONG, for those two sinks. It was on my list to redo, so now I can redo it correctly. Thanks for this!
  6. phospholipid

That actually may be easier. Like, way easier.
  7. phospholipid

I really appreciate that insight. Since this is PVC and so so easy to redo, I may pull that and do it again. Honeslty, I don't mind in the name of learning. I just took a look, and the board under the trap is non structural. So it won't be difficult at all to saw it out, lower the trap by about...
  8. phospholipid

Yeah, so there is a beam above (and below) the sani-T so it couldn't go any higher (or lower) and trap that the straight comes out of wouldn't go any lower, so the only way to make the angles meet was to figure out where to have a slight turn down at the right spot. It's not the weirdest angles...
  9. phospholipid

So, I glued it all together. Here's a pic. The coupling circled in red was the last piece and I did try the move I described. It went fine and the pieces on both side sunk fine as I twisted the coupling and applied pressure from behind the beam. Thankfully, it worked out that I had the wall on...
  10. phospholipid

Also, don't mind the supply lines. Those are all garbage and have been replaced with pex we pulled up.
  11. phospholipid

Was he just talking about being able to shove pipe in two ends of a coupling while twisting the coupling to get a seal? I did it once and it worked out perfectly. But, the second time, well, as you read above... the space was too tight so it seized up on one side before the other side could...
  12. phospholipid

Here's a third pic where I've sketched in what the connections will look like. I didn't dryfit the pipes for the pic, but I have fit them accounting for the lubricating effects of the glue and I've measured as well. As cut, with fittings and couplings, things line up quite nicely.
  13. phospholipid

Sure thing. So, in the one photo, you can see the new drain from the tub. The overflow tube has yet to be cut and glued. There is a clean out. There is a trap and then about a 12" long section. You can see half of that in the first pic. The second pic is taken from underneath and you can see...
  14. phospholipid

What part about the work I did should I not have done?
  15. phospholipid

I can bury that in a wall? I feel like fittings like that are part of what caused the problem to begin with. Also, can I put them on a pipe with a slight downward pitch or only on a vertical?
  16. phospholipid

Since I'm going to be in a very tight space, I'm not going to have a lot of room to twist the connections 90º as I seat them. But if I use couplings, can I glue both sides of the coupling, press both pipes in, and twist the coupling 90º?
  17. phospholipid

I think I can cut below the Y and in the middle of the straight and replace that section. It will introduce two more couplings, but I can seat them before I put it together. It will be fine. Annoying but fine.
  18. phospholipid

After a shower (on the 3rd floor) and a manhattan, I came to the same conclusion. I'd rather spend an hour on it tomorrow than spend a full day diggin out all the walls in the future.
  19. phospholipid

We have a 100-year-old house. The drain out of the second floor tub had been leaking in several places including where it met the cast-iron waste stack. It was too difficult to carve out the lead and oakum seal in the stack, so I cut off the galvanized pipe entering there and plugged it. I had...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks