Search results

1. PC7060

Update 100 year old high mass gravity system with ModCon Boiler

Thanks Dana, it is a very helpful to have objective definition of short cycling. My average cycle time was around 45 minutes the the last time I ran the numbers. Typically runs long cycles at night with shorter ones during sunny or warmer days. Just got my bill for first full month of boilers...
  2. PC7060

Agree! Right now I’m just keeping an eye on the performance bottom end of the slope to ensure btu input/loss match up at that end. Softly softly catchy monkey! :) Only remaining issue I’ve note is tendency for thermostat to short cycle boiler (15-20 minute runs then start again in 5 minutes)...
  3. PC7060

Ha! As you originally mentioned, the original Manual J / Heat loss projections by SpacePak were very conservative on high side at 75K. Also agree the increase footprint was more than offset by the better air sealing and insulation. You were right on with your recommendation for a FireTube...
  4. PC7060

After two weeks still had ongoing problem with ODR sensor sensor not getting true outdoor temperature reading. Adjusting slope didn’t address problem since error was not linear (got worse as temp dropped). Determined I needed to move ODR sensor away from house 2’ and location of the outside AC...
  5. PC7060

You must have better trained kids than I @Dana! I switched to Leviton moisture sensing fan controllers after giving up on getting the kids to just push a button to turn on fan and light. Even when they did remember, the timer would shut off after 15 minutes and I’d end up with Amazonian rain...
  6. PC7060

@fitter30 - enabled the step modulation for both Heat and DHW. All operating smoothly. Have about 37 heating hour with 50 starts or about 45 minutes average. DHW is working well too with tank temperature set to 130F and mixer output at 115F. I reduced the DHW heating temp to 160F. At the...
  7. PC7060

Interesting, is this a mode you prefer? Since I have a high mass system I did not turn this mode on.
  8. PC7060

I've moved the Outdoor sensor to a temporary location where it appears to be reading ambient more accurately. I'll need to come up with a permanent solution that can be tucked in a discrete location since the sensor is on the front of the house near front door. I'm planning to mount the sensor...
  9. PC7060

Thanks, it was a tight fit. The HTP tank fit nicely under the ductwork so the footprint worked well.
  10. PC7060

@Dana / @fitter30 - Thanks for the information. I've found the Outdoor sensor tends to read significantly higher than outside ambient when temps are in mid to low 20's (e.g Sensor =40F, ambient = 25F). I believe the error is due to heat loss from the house coming through the foundation. I'm...
  11. PC7060

Wiring is complete and am currently going through the installer configuration settings. Most items I am leaving at defaults but had a couple questions on Boost mode and Anti--Cycle time: HTP UFT IOM page 51 What is the intended purpose for Boost mode? ---- 9:bt Boost Function: When Outdoor...
  12. PC7060

@Dana & @fitter30 - thanks for your information. I've updated design to use side wall vent for flue gas, simpler than running discharge line up 30' of flue.
  13. PC7060

Hi all, The old boiler is out and have the boiler wall set up and ready for hardware. I'm planning to connect the Boiler to the existing stainless steel lined chimney locate 4' to right of the boiler (see attached). I'm having difficulty locating a adapter from 3" PVC to the liner. Any...
  14. PC7060

Current selecting the DHW circulator to meet the 8-10 GPM flow from the HTP UFT80 through the HTP SSU45 Indirect tank. I've looking at a 3-Speed Circulator such as the Grundfos UPS15-58FC, however having some difficulty determining what speed selection is optimal since GPM varies with head...
  15. PC7060

Agree, updated drawing.
  16. PC7060

Getting ready to order the Indirect Water heater tank. 1. looking at the WM Aqua-Plus 45 and the HTP SSU-45 Indirect Tanks. Both are stainless steel units and look to be very similar in price and performance. Am I missing any key differences? 2. What type of circulator pump is typically used...
  17. PC7060

Updated the design to specify Expansion tank and circulator. Selected Grundfoss ALPHA2 in constant flow mode; lowest setting due the the very low head of the fat pipes in my system. Can set adjust if required; ALPHA2 has a variety of modes. Added a DISCAL DIRTMAG, probably need to move before...
  18. PC7060

Again, very nice explanation, thank for walking me through the details. Re the constant flow versus constant pressure, the Taco 0015e3 is a constant pressure differential ECM pump (datasheet). Are ECM pump configurable for min (e.g. 2 GPM) and max (e.g. 5 GPM) flow rate?
  19. PC7060

HTI! :( HTP is correct! Thanks for the tip on Westinghouse. I checked big orange, they currently only carry the 199K and 140K size units. Huge units! I have standard two pipe configuration with each radiator coming back to the main distribution lines. Planned on using the SEP4 both as...
  20. PC7060

@Dana - Thanks for the detailed and well written response. I apologize for the delay in responding, the boiler update is part of a large renovation and addition and dropped the ball on this thread. I've attached a system design which includes a Caleffi SEP4 hydraulic separator between the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks