Search results

1. PaddyFahey

Tile choice for shower wall

Thanks. I got porcelain for the floor, with a good rating, but plain white tiles were only available in ceramic. There is a tile store on the other side of town, and I have some time, so I might take a drive out there to see what they have. The guy doing the tiling is a general handyman, and...
  2. PaddyFahey

Tile choice for shower wall

I'm a tile novice. We are tiling the walls on our shower (previously, was cultured marble). I just want plain white tiles. I looked at the local big box store, and the white ceramic tile they stock is by American Olean. the spec says 'non-vitreous', but the guy at the store said it would be fine...
  3. PaddyFahey

To relocate or not to relocate shower valve and head.

Thanks for all your help. I'm relocating the entire setup, with a spout, and replacing the valve and any plastic pipe and putting as much insulation as possible. The controls and the head will be on the external wall, but the spout and insulation should be enough to avoid freezing. It will make...
  4. PaddyFahey

OK, sold. I probably won't get a rain shower head. One more question - while I've got everything out and moving stuff around, is it worth replacing the mixing valve? It's a Delta unit, brass, and it's 25 years old. It's not the cost of the valve, just that I don't have the tools, and I'd need...
  5. PaddyFahey

I meant that the rain shower head would give less pressure. I've heard varying assessments of those. I would use the longer more vertical arm with a more conventional head. Paddy
  6. PaddyFahey

OK, thanks. Guess I violated the guidelines with the title... sorry! Jim - what do you mean, 'to drain that line'? You mean that after turning the shower off, the water from the showerhead would be able to run out of the toe tester? That's given me something to thing about. My preference is to...
  7. PaddyFahey

... the shower head and controls. I am remodeling our bathroom. It has a corner shower, 36"X36", with one side on an internal wall and one side on an external wall. I am tiling the walls, and installing a semi-frameless glass enclosure. With the current location of the shower head and controls...
  8. PaddyFahey

Is there a problem with this bath/shower installation?

The plumber came by, and is fixing the situation. He said that something must have shifted after install, and he was very apologetic. He took it all apart, leveled the tub, and made sure that the pieces went back together well. He is going to spray high-density foam under the tub and around it...
  9. PaddyFahey

No, he's coming back for the first time since he originally installed it. He hasn't agreed to fix it, just to assess hit. Sounds like I have two things to discuss - leveling it, and the use of drywall mud. Thanks, Paddy
  10. PaddyFahey

OK, thanks for all you help. The plumber is coming to look at it tomorrow, though I'm not hopeful that he'll do anything. This was a plumber recommended to us by our regular plumber. Our regular plumber doesn't do tub replacements. The plumber himself recommended that we use a Sterling Accord...
  11. PaddyFahey

Thanks. So do you think he should have made the tub level first?
  12. PaddyFahey

Standardairconditioner - Thanks, but it's a bit late for me to consider tile. We're on a budget, and it is already paid for and so there is no legal recourse. I was going to rely on the plumber's willingness rather than legal action, anyway. I understand that these things might be difficult to...
  13. PaddyFahey

EDIT - gap is more like 3/8", not 1/2" - 3/4" Hello, We just had a Sterling Accord shower/tub combo installed by a plumber. The plumber mentioned that there were some framing irregularities that prevented him from getting everything completely straight (he did use shims behind one of the...
  14. PaddyFahey

Need help troubleshooting garbage disposal

Thanks. Yeah, I'm cheap, but I'll probably replace it now. I was hoping against hope that someone would suggest something quick'n'easy that I'd overlooked.
  15. PaddyFahey

Need help troubleshooting garbage disposal

Hello, When I switch on my garbage disposal, it comes on as "normal" for a second or two, then it makes a really loud continuous noise (like the motor but louder and slightly higher pitch, not a rattle), vibrates a lot, water sprinkles back out of it, and eventually trips the reset. I thought...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks