Search results

1. KeithTerry

Schluter Shower install - wicking issue

Thought I'd finish this post with the final results. here's the completed 8x4 shower. For review, I did the base layer with durarock, schluter kerdi kit the base/curb (foam kit) and the walls with the membrane. I had some wicking in the initial test. After much discussion I did a flood test...
  2. KeithTerry

Thanks for the feedback Jim. Good tip on notching the tile. When I called Schluter they recommended fastening to the subfloor and already cut the tile prior to reading your note. I'll just shim it up as much as I can and use two wax rings. The mortar I have is unmodified Tec coupling membrane...
  3. KeithTerry

for the outside corner, I use a Kerdi outside corner (where the curb meets the wall). I note that because I qustioned if that joint was covered well. my radiant floor ohms all checks out so that is good....whew!!! I goto the SunTouch model. I got porcelain 18x18 tiles from a local tile store...
  4. KeithTerry

I've had trouble posting to the site, so am finally getting back. I re-kerdie'd one area that wicked the most. I did a 72 hour water test and there were no leaks, the water vapor test looked good. Art from Schluter was very helpful and responsive over prior weeks. After several discussions and...
  5. KeithTerry

tested the 10 year old versabond (opened bag) I had. useless, did not hold anything. I have old grout as well sealed the same way, I have to guess that is equally no good. Any recommendations on grout/sealer so I just seal it one time? onto a 72 hour water test starting around Friday then...
  6. KeithTerry

after 24 hours, 1" of water held with no loss of water. I did see the wicking around the sides per prior photo. The rep indicates if no leaks, its good. I saw in your the johnrjfwhipple post above from 2009 you noted wicking...is that what lead to using ardex on the seams? I hadn't gotten to...
  7. KeithTerry

Well I took the risk and tried the shop vac test and passed, I saw no instance where it pulls away.... whewww... best photo of what I see as leaching while running the water. it is darkness under in that area. I spoke with the Schluter rep out here today (Art) who said the same as John...
  8. KeithTerry

Thanks for all the feedback, I do appreciate it. I did wash walls with sponge with water, about twice. but the juncture issue is at the foam tray, covered with kerdi band, covered with kerdi, right at where the kerdi meets kerdi band. I did embed by pushing the thinset in with a flat 6 to 8"...
  9. KeithTerry

so now I have to question the other Schluter proudct, Ditra. I was going to install that on the plywood floor overtop of my floor heating system (Suntouch). any cautions on this before I risk creating any more mess? I was going to follow the process to put the the Suntouch down, thinset it...
  10. KeithTerry

I don't understand the doubt on the forum that I'm real DIY, but I haven't done much posting other than a post on the John Bridge about deflection in my joists, I can add color on that if you like. I guess noone knows online who is a product rep, vs someone trying to bias to/from products, or...
  11. KeithTerry

any ideas what to do with the old 3 pieces of marble slab that were in my prior shower? make a nice table out of it:)? ugh...another project...
  12. KeithTerry

I am a new DIY to the forum. I haven't done a shower project before and been 10 yrs since I did tile. I'm not following the doubt statement. here's a few other picts I have of before. I'm out of town so can't get a better picture of the wicking. note the base is poured self leverler...
  13. KeithTerry

Thank you for the quick and thorough responses. I will ping them on facebook and twitter and email you. the Rep I called indicated he was traveling next two weeks, but I'll apply pressure, I don't really want to be cutting tile in middle of December. to answer the questions, that may help...
  14. KeithTerry

I could use insight into if there is an issue and how to solve it. After much research, I decided to use the Schluter shower kit. I followed all instructions, used Dietra Set unmodified thinset to install it all. I followed the install process in the manual, putting the kerdi band around the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks