Search results

1. stockman20

Alternative to Super Iron Out - horrific smell when used in softener

That would've been my guess too, but I experienced the same problem with my old softener. I'm using about 1/2 cup in the new softener (2.5 cuft). The new softener is consistently producing soft/iron free water so I'm doubtful there's a problem with it. Whenever I notice on the valve that it...
  2. stockman20

Ditto - good suggestion. Can you point me to a brand or type that you would recommend? As I mentioned in previous posts the odor is definitely a gas - as it dissipates shortly after the water comes out of the faucet. I wish there was some sort of gas release on top of my softener.
  3. stockman20

I ran Super Iron Out through again last night (trying to keep on a every four weeks schedule). The smell is back. This time I even replaced the whole-house-filter with a fresh one before starting. I'm now 100% convinced that the odor is being caused by the SIO and has nothing to do with the...
  4. stockman20

Just to be clear...the housings being referred to are housings for whole-house type filters, right? You're not talking about a clear tank for a water softener are you?
  5. stockman20

I've been laid up the the flu for the past three days and haven't been able to log in. Wow this thread has really heated up!
  6. stockman20

How is this possible? House right next to the water tower?:confused:
  7. stockman20

Our lab test for coliform bacteria came up negative. Still no slime in the toilet tanks - but I remember you saying that it could take months to grow. There was sediment in the housing. In fact, that is were probably 90% of the sediment was. Now time for a really dumb question - If...
  8. stockman20

I have no idea what kind of filter it is - besides the fact that it is made by GE for their casing. Here is the HD link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-1-in-Pleated-Household-Sediment-Filter-FXHSC/100041014 It says "Carbon Spun Fiber"
  9. stockman20

Is a contact tank different than the pressure tank? Sorry for dumb question.
  10. stockman20

I don't think the two are related, since iron bacteria is a living organism. That being said I've never seen any evidence of iron bactera in my plumbing. See my thread here: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?55094-Got-water-test-results-back-recommended-treatment
  11. stockman20

Hey, those look pretty slick. I'll just have to make sure I get one with an appropriate flow rate.
  12. stockman20

I fixed my problem last night by replacing the pleated filter in my whole-house filter that is plumbed before the softener. When I took the old filter out it reeked of the odor I was smelling in the cold water. The filter had been in place for about 2 months. I replaced the filter and did a...
  13. stockman20

Thanks. I should add that the odor I'm smelling in the cold water does NOT smell like Super Iron Out. The odor is somehow a by-product of using SIO.
  14. stockman20

Alternative to Super Iron Out - horrific smell with softener Hello all, Does anyone have any ideas for alternative products to periodically clean iron from softener resin? I am done with Super Iron Out. I noticed that my softener was set to regen one night (about 8 days ago) so I mixed in...
  15. stockman20

Got water test results back...recommended treatment?

Gary, Do you have any recommendations for cycle times on a 2.5cuft - given my water conditions? I've scowered the web and can't find any info on this. The defaults on my Autotrol 255 are: 1st backwash 14 minutes; 1st fast rinse 5 minutes; 2nd backwash 1 minute; 2nd fast rinse 1 minute...
  16. stockman20

Got water test results back...recommended treatment?

My plan is to do this after I get a new heater installed. That way I'll be running the SIO through a rustless heater and might be able to take some out of the pipes. I'll probably switch to pilot and let the water cool before doing so.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks