Search results

1. Guy48065

Replacing 50yo iron combi wye with PVC

I have a rust pinhole in the cast iron sanitary wye that makes the final turn before exiting to my septic tank. I'd like to replace with PVC but I'm concerned I won't be able to fit it in without major surgery. All the piping in this area is fixed in place by a built-in cabinet. The existing...
  2. Guy48065

American Standard flush valve (kind of a review)

I've never seen a flush valve like the 4" one that came on my new American Standard Champion toilets. I'm used to just giving the handle a little flick--which lifts the flapper high enough to get air into it so it floats--resulting in a full flush. Not this new thing. You have to deliberately...
  3. Guy48065

Flange support?

Installed a Champion toilet yesterday. I checked the tile floor and it was flat & even. The toilet rocked a bit during the dry fit check. I didn't see a reason for it. I used 4 thin shims around the base to get it dead level & eliminate the rocking. The flange was about ⅜ below flush so I...
  4. Guy48065

Very small leak in large pipe

Gents, I just built a rotary brass tumbler and made the barrel from 6" PVC. Upon water testing I found I have a tiny leak at one spot on each fitting. <One-drip-per-minute small. I don't want to start over on the barrel because the cost of 6 inch fittings was a big chunk of the budget on this...
  5. Guy48065

Q about cycle stop valve pump pressure

I've been on the fence for awhile about installing a CSV in the well systems at my home & also my cottage. I like the concept but just now I happened on a forum post about high pump pressure. In that post 150psi pump pressure was called "just right" but seems really excessive to me and I'd...
  6. Guy48065

Sump pump upgrade

I've gone through 3 sump pumps in the 25 years I've been in my house. The last 2 have been Zoeller M53 cast iron pumps. I'm on sandy soil & a slight slope so my pump doesn't run much, other than laundry which also dumps into the pit. I don't know if I've had average service life, or lacking. In...
  7. Guy48065

How are basement floor & perimeter drains snaked out?

Spring thaw has caused water to seep up from a covered floor drain for the first time in the 25 years I've lived in my house. I poured a couple quarts of water into an open drain about 8 feet from the sump pit but nothing ran out the pipe into the pit. I've read comments a few times about...
  8. Guy48065

Dumb washing machine question

There must be something I'm missing... I recently bought a 10 year old washer & dryer set to replace my 35 year old set. Conventional units--not high efficiency. The problem is low water flow from the Hot valve. Cold is a torrent, hot is a trickle. The globe valve shutoffs on the wall are...
  9. Guy48065

Regular PEX OK as short connectors in HWH?

I have baseboard fin/tube heat at my cottage. Copper pipe, 180° temp. I need to make a couple small changes to the layout thanks to some remodeling. Is it OK to use regular PEX as a flex connector from an emitter to the copper pipe, or must oxygen-barrier PEX be used even on short...
  10. Guy48065

Another softener low-flow question

I had to troubleshoot a pressure tank problem that required draining all the water out and recharging the bladder with air. After completing the work I have noticed that the water flow in the rest of the house is much reduced. After the system was back up to pressure I got quite a bit of brown...
  11. Guy48065

Might need a new tank AND switch

When in the basement I've been noticing my well pump short-cycling lately. It'll turn on a couple times just for a toilet flush. No symptoms noticed at the taps, though. Today I had some time so I took a good look. I noticed the pressure cut-off of my 40-60 switch is 69psi and i couldn't adust...
  12. Guy48065

Need help replacing my water system

Couple years ago I bought a cottage that has a shallow well. The well is outside, the pump is inside. In February my heat malfunctioned and my pump and copper piping need to be replaced. I've done many small projects over the years but my problem often is visualizing what I SHOULD have when...
  13. Guy48065

PEX-a sources?

Menards' website shows they carry PEX-a "PowerPEX" tube from Sioux Chief. I'm not familiar with SC as a tubing mfr so I went to their website where they show the PowerPEX line is a type-b tube. Is their site outdated or is Menards being shammy? In my area (S.E. Michigan) Home Depot and Lowes...
  14. Guy48065

Leaks in poly/barbed joints

I replaced my pressure tank and I'm left with a bunch of minor leaks. My well pipe is 1" poly that goes through a couple elbows before connecting to the tank Tee barbed fitting. I heated the new poly pieces and pushed them over the barbs, then clamped with a worm-screw type hose clamp like...
  15. Guy48065

How do I choose shallow well pump size?

I'm sure you don't see this very often--my well is working fine. I just need more...more pressure, more flow. A year ago I bought a cottage on a lake with a shallow well about 25 feet deep but I don't know the water level or recovery rate. My pump is a Goulds BF03S that quite likely was...
  16. Guy48065

What are the trade-offs in setting pump pressure?

30-50, 40-60...What guidelines are there for choosing system pressure? Is higher always better? Can I hold down the pressure switch to see where the pump tops out and then set the pressure maybe 10psi below that maximum? I'm looking for the reasons & to get a better understanding.
  17. Guy48065

Is it possible to add heat to existing slab?

In my cottage I'd like to get rid of my hot water baseboards & convert to radiant in-floor tubes but part of my cottage is on a slab. Is it possible (physically and financially) to do this to an existing slab--without adding to the top?
  18. Guy48065

Cottage bathroom drains--winterproof?

I've owned my cottage for one year & so far no plumbing problems...but I don't know the history of the place other than it's about 70 years old and most likely didn't have indoor plumbing when built. The tiny bathroom has 3 drains from the sink, toilet and shower drop straight down through the...
  19. Guy48065

BEST location for tankless?

My basement utility room has the well pump, tank, heating boiler and gas meter all on the same wall, within a few feet of each other. A great place to put a noisy THWH except the points of use (kitchen, bath and laundry) are all at the other end of the house. So it looks like I'm faced with...
  20. Guy48065

Seen it all? What is this?

You do see some strange redneck things in northern Michigan... I have this galv. pipe coming out of the ground at the corner of my cottage. The pvc pipe next to it is from the kitchen sink and drops down & over about 30 feet to the septic. Just on the other side of that wall is another galv...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks