Search results

1. Guy48065

Replacing 50yo iron combi wye with PVC

All those are 3" and feed into 4x4x3 no-hub wyes. What is the proper name for that robot-shaped hub that my 3-in lav drains feed into?
  2. Guy48065

3-inch lines feeding into 4-inch exit.
  3. Guy48065

I have a rust pinhole in the cast iron sanitary wye that makes the final turn before exiting to my septic tank. I'd like to replace with PVC but I'm concerned I won't be able to fit it in without major surgery. All the piping in this area is fixed in place by a built-in cabinet. The existing...
  4. Guy48065

American Standard flush valve (kind of a review)

I've never seen a flush valve like the 4" one that came on my new American Standard Champion toilets. I'm used to just giving the handle a little flick--which lifts the flapper high enough to get air into it so it floats--resulting in a full flush. Not this new thing. You have to deliberately...
  5. Guy48065

Flange support?

My previous home was built in 58 and the pink toilet on the pink tiles was probably original. It sat on a cast iron flange that was on top of the tile. That toilet hovered ½" over the floor and was set on grout & troweled off flush to the base. It was a nice finished appearance and rock solid...
  6. Guy48065

Flange support?

Probably those crazy tile guys do that...but I know it's done sometimes.
  7. Guy48065

Flange support?

Installed a Champion toilet yesterday. I checked the tile floor and it was flat & even. The toilet rocked a bit during the dry fit check. I didn't see a reason for it. I used 4 thin shims around the base to get it dead level & eliminate the rocking. The flange was about ⅜ below flush so I...
  8. Guy48065

Very small leak in large pipe

The solvent & shavings dope did nothing so I caulked the joint at both ends.
  9. Guy48065

The leak on the INside might not line up with the exit on the OUTside. I like the idea of trying to suck a sealer into the leak because I can do that from the outside and because the leak itself will draw in the sealer. This feels like a legit fix rather than a bandaid. If that doesn't work...
  10. Guy48065

Gents, I just built a rotary brass tumbler and made the barrel from 6" PVC. Upon water testing I found I have a tiny leak at one spot on each fitting. <One-drip-per-minute small. I don't want to start over on the barrel because the cost of 6 inch fittings was a big chunk of the budget on this...
  11. Guy48065

Q about cycle stop valve pump pressure

As I've stated I have 2 homes and the concern over pump pressure is the system with a submersible pump feeding the pressure tank thru 30 feet of underground black poly pipe installed in 1975. I really have no concerns about my shallow well cottage system. If the power hadn't gone out & froze...
  12. Guy48065

Valveman did you read the post I referenced in #1 because in it YOU said 150 psi is normal and "just right". Now you claim half that, or less. I'm trying to understand but I see red flags when the stated numbers change dramatically.
  13. Guy48065

I don't think I'll risk it on the system with poly pipe. The tubing is original to the house, built mid-70's. This back pressure--it exists both while running and as a spike when it shuts off? What effect does this have to starting current?
  14. Guy48065

The linked older thread said poly pipe is only rated for 80-100psi. It could be a very expensive mistake to burst a pipe under a driveway. OR for the indoor portion to burst, for that matter.
  15. Guy48065

I've been on the fence for awhile about installing a CSV in the well systems at my home & also my cottage. I like the concept but just now I happened on a forum post about high pump pressure. In that post 150psi pump pressure was called "just right" but seems really excessive to me and I'd...
  16. Guy48065

Sump pump upgrade

Note to self: Keep the question simple. "Don't feed the bear"
  17. Guy48065

Sump pump upgrade

Switch. Time to replace this pump. Is the Zoeller a superior pump for ~$200 or can I do better?
  18. Guy48065

Sump pump upgrade

I've gone through 3 sump pumps in the 25 years I've been in my house. The last 2 have been Zoeller M53 cast iron pumps. I'm on sandy soil & a slight slope so my pump doesn't run much, other than laundry which also dumps into the pit. I don't know if I've had average service life, or lacking. In...
  19. Guy48065

How are basement floor & perimeter drains snaked out?

And a plumber can do that from a single pipe in my sump pit? Ya see I don't understand why I only have one pipe in my pit. I wouldn't think the drain tiles are connected to the floor drains--that seems to be asking for flooding trouble and would make it nearly impossible to navigate with a...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks