Search results

1. ninotchka

Cast Iron drain + short brass stub = headache -- illustrated!

Well, I got it out! I don't know why it was so difficult -- every source and person told me that it should "just come out". I had to cut three more slots in it before it would come out. I broke a cold chisel in it. I didn't even know that it was possible to break a cold chisel. Crazy. I screwed...
  2. ninotchka

Yeah, that's what I told the bushing. So far it is unimpressed by my argument.
  3. ninotchka

Yes, HJ was right -- it wasn't leaded directly in -- it was a solder bushing screwed into the hub with the pipe soldered in (although I'm not clear how since I thought you couldn't sweat chromed brass. The solder was shiny like lead.) Thanks for the more detailed description of how to hit it...
  4. ninotchka

Good thought. I got the chrome pipe out with the mapp torch, but haven't hit it with it since cutting the wedge out -- I'll try that tomorrow. When in doubt, reach for the blowtorch!
  5. ninotchka

Me and the hacksaw will get back to work tomorrow I guess! Is there a reason to use the PVC adapter and not the brass? I would like to use a chrome/brass pipe coming out, because it's for a wall-hung sink and will be exposed.
  6. ninotchka

Eeeek. No, there's not enough room. And I spent so much time cutting those slots that damned if I'm going to remove the whole elbow now. :D If worst comes to worst I can cut it out chunk by chunk... but I really hope that's not what I have to do.
  7. ninotchka

Well, I'm making progress! I think. For those following my exciting saga... This is where I am right now: I nicked one of the CI thread, but only a teeny bit. Sadly, though, the whole thing is not collapsing and spinning out the way I hoped it would. In fact, it's not moving at ALL! Anyone...
  8. ninotchka

Nope, it's a chrome/brass tailpiece soldered into a brass bushing. I hope I'm going to be able to cut it out gracefully.
  9. ninotchka

I take it, then, that no one has any ideas that don't involve removing the currently leaded-in pipe? Because I'll tell ya, that thing looks like it ain't gonna go without a fight. Whoever put that in did not skimp on the lead. HJ, thanks for saying the magic words "solder bushing" -- I cleaned...
  10. ninotchka

Hi everyone! I'd be very glad for some opinions of a plan I'm considering. In my bathroom, I have a cast iron soil pipe and hub (2" i think) with a 1 1/4" chrome/brass pipe attached. I think it's leaded. Anyway, some demolition-happy moron* cut the brass pipe off so the stub out is only 1"...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks