Search results

1. RCraig

Different kinds of backer board for shower

Ok, thanks so much. I am learning. I will ask the plumber about flood testing as you suggest. About shimming out the front wall of the tub - this may actually help matters out in terms of making the rest of the bathroom work out. The reason is that the wall at the front of the tub had to...
  2. RCraig

Ok, thanks. The water is not hooked up to the new tub at the moment, waiting for the carpenter and then the tiler to do their things. However, it seems as if I could fill the tub from another source and see whether the water level decreased after 12-24 hours, and whether any leaking was seen...
  3. RCraig

Ok, thanks for your prompt reply. Might I ask how one goes about testing this? Run the shower for a while, pour water on the interface between the tub and the backer board? Not sure what is meant by a flood test, sorry. Ruth
  4. RCraig

Show us your progress photos.... Unfortunately, no progress at the moment. Major problem is that the tiler needs strapping to be put on the studs, which he wants a carpenter to do. The reason for the strapping is so that the backer board on the front side of the tub can come down over the...
  5. RCraig

I have heard all kinds of ideas and opinions about the various kinds of backer board for a shower surround. Yesterday I saw "Wedi" board (not sure I have the right spelling). It is a foam board, and is rubberized on each side. I like the idea - very light and hopefully water-tight...
  6. RCraig

Big problems arise after bathroom remodel: advice needed

Wow, I am very sorry to hear about this situation. Out of curiosity, how far apart are the joists? I had a somewhat similar problem with an old cast iron tub, the difference being that the flex in my case was not measurable -- but it still caused a huge problem. Water leaking through an...
  7. RCraig

Tub removed, bringing out new questions/issues

If you know any amateurs, the video is really very good, although some of the thoughts may relate to specific climates.
  8. RCraig

Tiling over bath tub flange

Well, I guess I don't - the only thing that needs to be done is the three walls that surround the tub (old tub had to be removed to replace floor, since leaking had rotted floor). So, just small tiles, really nothing fancy. As far as lighting, the room already has lighting, so don't need to...
  9. RCraig

Sorry, I didn't explain well. What I am thinking is to take down the tile and board that remains. So in other words, new cement boards and retile all 3 sides. I just want to make sure it is done right this time. One concern I have is whether the new cement boards should come down to about...
  10. RCraig

Back of tub - cement board cut to remove old shifty tub. I think when new board is put up, it will come out in front of flange ever so slightly, actually maybe a quarter inch. Unless shimmed or something.
  11. RCraig

front of tub There is no board at the front. This wall had to be moved.
  12. RCraig

Ok, sorry, I think I used inaccurate terminology in several places. The first issue is movement, which I am now thinking might occur in the up-and-down dimension (y-axis, sorry) and also in the front-to-back dimension (z-axis). I am trying to minimize any movement at the tile wall to tub...
  13. RCraig

OK, maybe I will request that they use Wonderboard Lite. The thing was, some of the sheets I saw when I went to HomeDepot seemed to be crumbling. The area where the backer board meets the tub/flexing. I believe this has been the problem that has been plaguing me for a long time, and the...
  14. RCraig

Ok, thanks so much. I will see if I can get a decent picture tomorrow and upload it. From what I can understand, I have a problem from even before putting up the cement board, because the wall studs are not even on the front side. That wall had to be moved over a few inches to fit the new...
  15. RCraig

"I like the use of blocking. Did not like the way the tub was pinned. Did not like the lack of vapour barrier. Might not be required in Atlanta... ???? not sure. I like my way better.... " Do you mean the blocking right behind the tub flange? I was wondering whether I should have that done...
  16. RCraig

I found a great video on this topic:
  17. RCraig

This question came up in a very timely manner for me - I have more or less the same question, except that the backer board has not yet been installed. My question: Would it be preferable to install the backer board to come down to the top of the flange? Or, alternately, would it be better to...
  18. RCraig

I think my problem is that I don't really understand how to manage the interface between the Hardibacker and the tub. Should the Hardibacker come down just to the top of the flange? Or should it come down over the tub flange such that the tub flange is not visible? Very worried about this...
  19. RCraig

Oh wow, thank you so much for this information. They didn't notch the studs. The studs come right up to the tub. They are going to use Hardiebacker. If I understand correctly, they have to put a vapor barrier ?behind the hardibacker? Here is my level of lack of understanding - What is behind...
  20. RCraig

Tile & Shower Failures: A closer look a spot setting tile. Why this is a bad idea.

To make sure I understand the issue, since I am about to have my shower/bathtub walls retiled - spot tiling would be putting spots of mortar-stuff on the back of each tile. When someone is using a trowel, do they put the mortar stuff on the back of the tile (presumably spreading it all over)...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks