Search results

1. Brendan Simons

Can I fix an offset flange with a Hydro Seat?

OK, I spent more time thinking and posting here than doing the job . I bought two wax rings. I molded one down into the offset flange's "shelf" so that it filled the offset and came up level with the flange. I put the second one on top and then pressed down the hydroseat. Took a look, and...
  2. Brendan Simons

I think it's a 3" pipe with a socket fitting because I can't see the edge (a 4" inside fitting would have a lip getting larger) http://plasticoddities.com/offset-closet-flanges/ I picked up a HydroSeat today anyway in case it works (and also a new closet flange in case it doesn't). I'll...
  3. Brendan Simons

Can't see under (finished ceiling below), but the toilet will fit when centered over the pipe, so it's not obvious why they went to the trouble of offsetting it back and to the right (creating a clog machine at the same time).
  4. Brendan Simons

My toilet kept clogging past the trap, so I removed it to figure out what was up. Sure enough, the installer used one of those garbage oblong offset flanges that cuts off half the pipe area. Photo attached. The worst party is I have no idea why the used an offset flange. It actually pushes...
  5. Brendan Simons

Connecting two traps together to maintain prime

I did a bit more digging. The Ontario Building code (and national plumbing code) Section 7.4.5.5 calls for a trap seal primer or "equally effective means", which isn't very precise. There is an ASSE standard 1044 which governs trap primers connected to "waste line tail pieces from fixtures...
  6. Brendan Simons

Cool. I'll add the second vent. What about the tee in the stand pipe?
  7. Brendan Simons

OK, I thought I could get away with wet venting the floor drain, but I'll double check. Assuming I add the vent, are you agreeing that the two traps can be connected, or do I have to use a trap primer valve?
  8. Brendan Simons

Thanks, but must I use fresh water to prime the floor drain? This post from Terry a few years ago suggests something like I drew (unless I misunderstand him). I'm just trying to plan the details.
  9. Brendan Simons

OK... give me the long answer. I'm having a heck of a time finding the "industry standard" way of keeping prime in a floor drain. The local hardware stores don't even sell a trap primer valve.
  10. Brendan Simons

I am building a second-floor laundry room. There will be a floor drain under the washing machine, and I'm looking for a solution to keeping water in the floor drain trap without being able to reach it easily for maintenance (and without a trap primer valve, which is proving to be hard to find...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks