Search results

1. rickford66

banging noise from new water heater

It's not a water pressure problem. It is definitely happening before the burner lights, after the blower starts. This happens even if there is no water turned on anywhere in the house.
  2. rickford66

That's what it sounds like, but does Bradford White use a metal flapper? I would think a nylon flapper would be a lot quieter. Also, it doesn't happen when the wind blows, but when the blower starts. I would think they would have that fixed too. Makes me wonder if something is loose. Also...
  3. rickford66

Recirculating pump advice

That's almost exactly how I did it. The one exception is that I have a ball valve in the return line, next to the WH, that I have turned nearly all the way off. This ensures that, when hot water is turned on, that most of the water comes from the top of the tank, not the bottom. How long do I...
  4. rickford66

Recirculating pump advice

I'm not a plumber, but I have a recirc loop and I don't use a pump. My WH is in the basement, an so I let gravity do the job for me. It works great.
  5. rickford66

Solenoid safety valves for laundry room?

I'm not a plumber, but here's an idea that seems to me to be long overdue... Have the washing machine manufacturers put a STANDARDIZED connector on the back that powers STANDARDIZED external solenoids. No fancy electronics needed. Mount the solenoids on NPT's hard plumbed to copper line and...
  6. rickford66

I did a little more digging into this issue last night. The pipes are all solid, and don't clang. I wiggled them all around the heater and no clangs at all. The pipes are also insulated, as I have a hot water recirc loop. I did notice something strange though. If I grab the top of the water...
  7. rickford66

Hello all, I searched for this answer but did not find it. About a month ago I installed a brand new out of the box natural gas water heater. It is a Bradford White, 40 gal with power vent. From the start, I have noticed a banging noise that comes from the water heater when it starts up...
  8. rickford66

Shower squeal

Yup, I figured that out. I believe you also are supposed to caulk the stub where it exits the wall. Over time, the caulk can crack. Using 2 o-rings would force the water away from the stub instead of letting surface tension hold it to the stub. A crack in the caulk along the top of the...
  9. rickford66

Shower squeal

Well, to wrap this up for anyone who, suffering the same fate, may read this someday... I lightly sanded the corrosion from the pipe (800 grit) and made very sure the end of the pipe was smooth - free of burrs. Then, I coated the pipe with silicone o-ring lubricant... coated the o-ring too. I...
  10. rickford66

Shower squeal

I assumed I damaged the o-ring somehow, so I exchanged the diverter for a new one. Should I use the o-ring silicone lubricant to try to protect the o-ring as I slide it on? Thanks.
  11. rickford66

Need to stop sprinkler system from siphoning from water treatment

Kind of like a riptide, eh? If you've seen it, then I believe it, but I sure can't see how. :O)
  12. rickford66

How can the check valve be open and still allow water to flow backwards through it? What I mean is, water will only flow from higher pressure to lower pressure. If the higher pressure is on the treatment side and the lower pressure is on the irrigation side, then how can the valve be open...
  13. rickford66

hot water recirc pump

Not really trying to regulate flow with any real accuracy. Just trying to reduce the amount of water coming from the bottom of the tank when hot water is turned on in the house. It's been 3 years so far and it still works great. Thanks.
  14. rickford66

hot water recirc pump

I have one of these gravity recirc systems, and I don't care about the increased cost. I love it!! After all, how much could it be when you factor in that when the heat is lost, it is heating the house, reducing the load on the furnace. 100% of the lost heat goes into the house, which isn't...
  15. rickford66

Just wanted to chime in with an uneducated question. I've been reading some of these posts trying to learn something. I've also looked at the diagram here and I wonder if the retention tank is similar to the pressure tank. Does it also have an air bladder in it? If so, it would explain the...
  16. rickford66

Shower squeal

Ok, I installed the diverter. The noise is gone!! Whoohooo!!! BUT, the new diverter is leaking at the back. It is a slip on type with a set screw, designed for a 1/2" pipe. Mine is just a length of 1/2" copper and it as corroded a bit. I believe the leak is coming from the o-ring seal on...
  17. rickford66

Shower squeal

I've wanted to fix it for a long time. I was at the Home Depot Saturday getting some hardware for a sink drain and saw the diverters and cartridges. I wondered which was the problem and it made me a bit angry that I didn't know and the solution was probably sitting right there on the shelf...
  18. rickford66

Shower squeal

[resolved] shower squeal Hello, I have 2 showers in my house. Both squeal when the shower is activated. The squeal only occurs when the diverter sends the water to the shower head. The squeal sounds like a balloon when you pinch the opening and slowly release the air, only it is very LOUD...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks