Search results

1. PaulHG

'Gasey' smell from new Galvanized pipe

I was lucky enough to have a HD where they cut and threaded the pipe free - Even re-cut it for me after the fact to make up for a mistake in measuring. The hardest part of the plumbing in this job was all the doglegging and lining up needed to reverse the hot and cold lines (caused by...
  2. PaulHG

No need for tact - I'm a big boy - Short answer to your 'why' question is twofold - 1 - That is what was already there 2 - In my very limited plumbing experience- galvanized and PVC are all I have ever worked with - and code I was told wouldnt allow pvc. YES - in retrospect - :( I...
  3. PaulHG

Just replaced my right hand tub with a lefty -- lotsa reasons - long story. This required adding about ten feet of new galvanized pipe to both the hot and cold lines (replaced back to main underground line). Now - when I first turn on the water in the tub - hot or cold - I get a smell I can...
  4. PaulHG

low pressure- hot and cold faucet…

COULD very easily be that simple. Every time I have to shut house water off -- I start getting complaints that the kitchen water pressure is way down. Unscrew the screen blow and flush it out - and bingo - water pressure. :) Wish my tub problem was that simple :(
  5. PaulHG

Galvanized to a fitting made for copper

Yep - all too familiar with that - There is so much crud inside these old lines that almost any time I shut the water off - I have to clean the screen in the kithchen faucet and flush the toilet fill line. I would LOVE to replace ALL the old lines back to the street -- or at least back to...
  6. PaulHG

Sorry if my question sounded foolish - No - no trust in miracles here - I'm old - not senile - But I do plead considerable ignorance in this field -- That's why I appreciate places like this. My hope for at least some improvement in water pressure was based on the observation that water...
  7. PaulHG

Disappointing water pressure OK - got the fittings and the faucet connected - Water pressure very disappointing. Is this normal with pressure balanced faucets? It wasn't GREAT before - but I blamed that on corrosion in the old pipe. I am running brand new 1/2" pipe beginning with the...
  8. PaulHG

The sheet indicates the fittings are 1/2"-14NPT The supply store owner mentioned the possibility of just sweating the copper inside - and mentioned disassembling the unit to avoid heat damage. One reason he suggested the brass compression fittings was that I had never sweated pipe before -...
  9. PaulHG

Older (1929) home - water lines 1/2" galvanized. Just bought a tub/shower fixture (Danze). Connections out to the shower and tub are threaded fine for galvanized. Connections IN though are a nut screwing down over outside threads for connecting 1/2" copper. Danze's customer support was no...
  10. PaulHG

Water to both Wall and Ceiling heads

pardon the intrusion This begins to look and sound very much like my question regarding spa jets in another thread. If I am reading this correctly I can get a diverter that could be mounted inline between the main faucets and the shower head - Then same as described here - but instead of...
  11. PaulHG

Adding 'spa jets' to shower

Diverter plus 2 jets ?? while the two areas you mention certainly deserve attention - on occassion. What this user is after is something to hit the shoulders and back. Right now- I am at the bare joists with two bare feed lines - BUT - I am already committed to a faucet fixture. What I...
  12. PaulHG

ACTUALLY - my semi-significant other -- who I am doing this project for - Is a little split minded. She HAD to have TRADITIONAL looking fixtures to fit the period of the house (1929). So - I searched till I found a three handle fixture that was still pressure balanced to meet code. BUT -...
  13. PaulHG

Is there a way - to add a couple of simple spa jets to a 'standard' shower? Jets that could be opened or closed so the shower head could be used alone - or in conjunction with the jets. Ability to use the jets alone without the showerhead would not be a big need. I am just now installing -...
  14. PaulHG

danze faucets

Quote stolen from James Garner when asked by Disney if he would consider doing voiceover for a project scheduled in 5 years.
  15. PaulHG

danze faucets

I had posted a similar question about Danze quality - but it was at the end of a long thread. Glad to hear at least SOME good comments - because I broke down and ordered one - 500265 Three handle pressure balanced - because Delta and Price Pfister (I had been told by their customer support...
  16. PaulHG

two handle vs single handle tub/shower

Found some possibilities Both Price Pfister and Delta have discontinued their versions of these units. Delta 2348 Price Pfister T02-80XP Was advised some of these might still be available in warehouse/surplus/wholesale outlets. Any suggestions? I found a source for the Danze 500265...
  17. PaulHG

Dumb question - why not just have one trap for the entire house?

When I first bought this house (built in 1929) - there was a lead drum trap with a lid flush with the original wood floor between the tub and the toilet that I guess took the place of P trap The top had come loose at some point and had not been screwed back down - above it were three layers...
  18. PaulHG

Sealing leak between rubber and PVC

Success As of 1am I have a functioning and non-leaking toilet. The rubber connector mentioned earlier - the one I retightened between the toilet drain and the main line -- held fine. The flange I replaced - for the second time -- held fine. Not sure what I did wrong the first time - Maybe...
  19. PaulHG

Sealing leak between rubber and PVC

Flange seal failure Well - whatever they did (unless it has been leaking all along and I didn't know it) The old seal was better than the one I just did. When I removed the old flange - the surface of the drain rim was rough (I assumed from the previous seal) I sanded it clean as I could...
  20. PaulHG

Teflon Tape vs Joint Compound

Leaking Flange seal As mentioned earlier - my old outside sealing flange came off very easily -It left a fairly rough surface on the pipe so I did my best to scrape off old solvent and sand it clean with some 100 grit -- before priming and cementing as described earlier. Replaced the flange...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks