Search results

1. GG_Mass

Boiler Pressure release valve leak troubleshooting

I'd also add - I'm thinking about calling in the pro, as resolving this does not seem simple. It would be nice if the OP question at least would be answered - is the plate heat exchanger a reasonable culprit when it comes to the issue I'm dealing with ? Thank you.
  2. GG_Mass

Is this the regulator you're referring to ? this is 3.jpg at the OP. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/3-jpg.97766/
  3. GG_Mass

the fill valve that lets water from the main into the boiler is open.
  4. GG_Mass

Followed the procedure as noted. For the first few hours things seemed promising: system was running while boiler pressure gauge read 20psi or less. Came back home now and checked it: Boiler gauge reads 30psi and tank at 22psi. PRV is releasing water in drops.
  5. GG_Mass

I believe I followed the procedure as you described. Attached are the files of pressure reads in tank and boiler. the system is shut off at the moment. I am not sure if I need to add pressure into the tank (bicycle pump), or simply power up the system. I'll try and wait as much as I can before...
  6. GG_Mass

I think I understand the general idea here, but I'm not sure about the "Drain down boiler slowly to the 10 lbs", could you expand on that please ? I've set the pressure in the expansion tank before, I think I can try and remember how it's done. I still have a bicycle pressure gauge in that area...
  7. GG_Mass

it's a single story house, with a basement. I'd say the basement floor to living room floor is 8 maybe 9 feet. heat registers are just about floor level on the living floor. there is no forced air in this system, it's just a hydronic system with baseboards. Hopefully that answers the question.
  8. GG_Mass

Do you mean the length of run of the copper pipe from the boiler to the highest located heat register on the living floor ? height wise they are all on the same floor, but there are some close to the boiler and naturally some farther.
  9. GG_Mass

I hope this does it:
  10. GG_Mass

Okay, so far the issue possibly being the plate heat exchanger did not come up in this thread. Which interesting to me. I'm not stating the plumber does not know what he's doing, he's quite competent according to my judgment at least. But, I would still like to find out how would a faulty...
  11. GG_Mass

Please see attached images. If measurements are required will be happy to provide. ready with tire gauge and pump.
  12. GG_Mass

Hi, There are multiple threads in the forum regarding this issue and I read through some of hem, could not find the answer that would apply to my case - - My expansion tank is ~3 years and has been installed by a pro and passes the "wrench clunk" test. - The valve in image #2 has been replaced...
  13. GG_Mass

Water dripping out of boiler valve

I may be dealing with a sipping auto fill valve (it was also called a pressure relief valve in this thread), it's the valve with a thumb screw in it, which regulates the water pressure allowed into the boiler). The boiler cycled a few times now, there were no leaks, but the resting pressure in...
  14. GG_Mass

I understand. I'm going to assume, for now, that the tank's gauge is off by 5PSI. The digital automotive gauge I use is pretty good, very good, actually. Its MOE is +/- 0.5PSI, and it's been tested against TPMS sensors quite a few times and was always trustworthy. The boiler is more than 30...
  15. GG_Mass

Okay - Decreased the pressure in the boiler to 0 PSI, and with water feed valves closed, pumped the tank to 12PSI, to my suprise, just before opening the valves to let water in and pressurize the tank to 12PSI, I had a look at the tank's gauge, and it was back to 19PSI, not sure how. While I...
  16. GG_Mass

Is there any point in the work cycle, in which the pressure in the exp' tank fluctuates, or it should stay ~12PSi at all times ? BTW, tonight it's the upper 60's, Thursday night, it should drop to upper 30's at night... so yeah, I'm right on the cusp of it.
  17. GG_Mass

Then it seems my exp' tank is not doing its job. The pressure in it was 0 or close it, when the boiler was at 0 PSI. I'll bring the quality pressure gauge from work tomorrow, and repeat this process, only this time I'll pump 12PSI of air into the tank - before introducing water back into the...
  18. GG_Mass

Drained the boiler down to 0 PSI. Followed your instructions - loosened the PRV, then introduced water back in, then slightly tightened the PSV until the needle on the tank's gauge rested at ~12 PSI. Ran the boiler a full cycle - it did not leak this time. (Good news). The pressure did rise...
  19. GG_Mass

So it's possible for the screw on the PRV to stay backed off more than it is now, correct ? I'm starting the refill with the screw backed off almost on the way, and keep tightening it just until the pressure in the boiler reached 12 PSI, correct ?
  20. GG_Mass

Everything you said is pretty clear, besides - "back off the valve to 12 PSI" - Once I open what I consider the feed valve - a quarter turn ball valve , the water would just flow in, and create the same pressure as I currently have. (no?) I must be missing on the actual valve that you mean...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks