Search results

1. theaggie

Sediment

A week or so ago I woke up to take a shower and the water flow in the upstairs shower was really slow. As a test, I bypassed our water softener and the flow came back. I left it that way until I could look at it further. Earlier this week my wife mentioned there were "black spots" in...
  2. theaggie

Adding outlets to an existing wall

I am working toward finishing our basement. Right now I need to add several outlets to an existing finished wall. I know that for a new wall I have to support/secure the romex 8" after the box and every 4-1/2' after that. What are the requirements for adding outlets to an existing wall. The...
  3. theaggie

Fire Blocking Garage Attic Stairs

Well I decided that the Basement remodel meant we needed some additional storage sapce and the attic above our attached garage would be perfect to last week I installed some pull down attic stairs. Then, after I finished I found a comment that installing pull-down attic stairs can compromise...
  4. theaggie

Pocket Door

In my basement remodel I am planning a large (8' wide) pocket door to seperate the mud room from the main living room. The reason for the wide door is to allow large items to be moved in (such as a pool table). Normal swinging doors would consume a lot of space given that the doors will...
  5. theaggie

No heat upstairs

I have hot water baseboard heating and for some reason the upstairs thermostat seems to be opening the zone valve but not turning on the circulating pump. The downstaris zones appear to work fine and when they engage the circulating pump, I get heat upstairs. What is supposed to turn on the...
  6. theaggie

Fireblocking and speaker wire conduit

I am putting a HT in my basement and am planning on mounting my surround speakers and wall sconces to rectangular columns along the side of the room. I would like to run some sort of inexpensive conduit to them so that I can change the speaker wire later if I need to. I've attached a floor...
  7. theaggie

What does the ceiling edge attach to when the wall is between joists?

I am putting up a partition wall in my basement that runs parallel to the ceiling joists. It falls in between the joists so I am adding blocking between the joists to nail the top plate to. As I was doing that, a question popped into my mind. When I finally get around to sheetrocking the...
  8. theaggie

Ataching a basement partition wall

I am in the process of finishing my basement and want to add a partition wall to extend an existing wall along the stairs back to the back wall. We have a walk-out basement and that part of the back wall is above grade so it is conventional wood frame and is finished on the inside with...
  9. theaggie

Boiler Combustion Air venting question

I am doing electrical and heating planning for finishing my basement. The basement is approx 1300 sqft and it contains our 176,000 BTU/hr oil boiler/furnace. After computing the heat losses I have decided I would prefer to only heat the "Family Room" portion. But... the shop area is where the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks