Search results

1. Ontario Plumber

Zoning of old radiator heating system

Hi guys, I'm hoping a few of you can give me some guidance on work I'm doing in my new house. I have an old gas boiler that heats the main and second floor with cast iron radiators. I think the system used to be gravity fed, but has since been updated with a circulator. I am finishing the...
  2. Ontario Plumber

Dealing with a catastrophe and need help with a PEX manifold

Looks like Kitec piping. Its usually orange but I've seen it in blue. There was a lawsuit against the company because of the issues with the piping. If it's Kitec then it will have aluminium on the inside of the pipe. Insurance companies won't even provide home insurance if they know you have...
  3. Ontario Plumber

Connect existing black ABS to new brass (chrome finish) trap

Usa a fit in trap adaptor which should extend out just beyond the drywall. There is a chrome flange which comes with the chrome p-trap which will cover the trap adaptor once you've tightened it. https://www.homehardware.ca/en/1-14-spigot-x-slip-abs-p-trap-adapter/p/3252456?Num=1
  4. Ontario Plumber

Do I need a backflow preventer to keep basement dry?

Your plumber sounds imcompetent. A p-trap will not prevent sewer back-ups, it will only protect you from sewer smells. If there is a sewage back up, then it will come up in the lowest drain opening in the home which is usually a floor drain. Every home can benefit from a backwater valve...
  5. Ontario Plumber

Wet vent tub and sink - will this work?

There is no limit on the actual length of the wet vent, and it is allowed to change direction providing you give it sufficient slope. So yes you're still okay.
  6. Ontario Plumber

Hydraulic load is the term used for the total combined amount of fixture units (FU's). A bathtub is actually 1.5 fixture units. I understand what you are trying to say, but the most downstream fixture (the bathtub in this case) isn't taken into consideration when sizing a wet vent. This means...
  7. Ontario Plumber

Stick with your initial drawing. You are fine with the 1.5" drain for the tub/shower and the 1.5" wet vent. A 1.5" wet vent can take 2 fixture units. A basin sink is only 1 so you are fine. Yes there is a limit on the distance the vent has to be from the trap. It has to be a minimum of two...
  8. Ontario Plumber

Reduce 3" vent stack to 2" thru roof

Not sure about California, but I know in most places that you have to have at least one stack that continues in 3" all the way through the roof. You have to remember that not only is this venting the fixtures in the home, but also the main 4" sewer that serves the home from the street.
  9. Ontario Plumber

Venting Questions for the Pros

Not sure about America, but the max length of fixture outlet pipe (drain from sink to top of p-trap) is 48". The Canadian code permits a trap for a kitchen sink to be placed below the floor providing there is a clean out above.
  10. Ontario Plumber

Basement Bathroom ejector vent question

Im not sure about America, but there is nothing in the Canadian code that says a vent from a sewage ejector pit has to extend independently through the roof. Basically, this means that other vents can connect to the vent from the sewage pit, providing they connect above the flood level rim of...
  11. Ontario Plumber

HELP! Solder nightmare - using wrong solution?

The most important factor to a successful soldered joint is making sure the surfaces are clean. The drain in the wall is existing and old so you need to spend time cleaning the inside of the pipe. Sometimes I will spend around 10 minutes getting it as shiny as possible with sand cloth and...
  12. Ontario Plumber

New water line

If you're going to the trouble of renewing your whole service, why wouldn't you just use 3/4" copper? If you look at the inside diameter of 3/4" PEX, it's actually not that bigger than 1/2" copper so you wouldn't really notice much of a difference in volume.
  13. Ontario Plumber

Uponor expansion Tool question

The tools required for the PEX piping are just ridiculous. They are not practical whatsoever, especially in tight spaces. Ive come from the UK where we have push fit plastic piping. No tools required. So much easier to work with and its been going strong for the past 20 years or so I believe...
  14. Ontario Plumber

Rerouting a soil stack

Im not sure about NJ, but that would be no problem in Canada. Offsetting a stack using 45's isn't a problem. Its when you use 90 degree bends that there becomes some discrepancies. For example, you can't have an offset of more than 4ft when using 90 degree bends.
  15. Ontario Plumber

open sewage overflow pipe in old basement?

There will be no smell because the layout of the piping has created a trap. If it overflows, then there could be a partial blockage in the drain ahead which you will need to look into. If its not in use, then I would plug it where it enters the cast iron.
  16. Ontario Plumber

rework problem with an existing toilet flange - help suggestions appreciated

With regards the gasket, I always use rubber or foam gaskets. Gaskets come in different thicknesses to compensate for the height of the flange. As a personal rule of thumb I usually use a 1" gasket if the flange is below the floor, 3/4" gasket if the flange is flush with floor and a 1/2" gasket...
  17. Ontario Plumber

rework problem with an existing toilet flange - help suggestions appreciated

I use two packs of closet bolts to fix this issue. Take two of the closet bolts with the brass washers and place them inside the flared openings on the flange (in your case, the 3 and 9 clock positions). Take the brass washers from the second pack of closet bolts. Place a brass washer over each...
  18. Ontario Plumber

Urinal drain rough-in

Thanks for the reply. The issue you mentioned was my exact concern. I will be using a double sanitary tee-wye to connect the back to back urinals. This is permitted providing there is a clean out installed above the tee-wye, and the trap arm is not less than (2 x Diameter of pipe) 4 inch. I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks