Search results

1. Steve Zerby

Antique faucet parts needed McDonald Mfg.

Hi folks, I’ve got a client trying to resuscitate some vintage faucets manufactured by A.Y. McDonald Mfg. They look to be maybe 1930s. They function but leak badly around the stem when open. Trying to figure out how to rebuild the packing bushing. The fiber washer at the top seals it off OK...
  2. Steve Zerby

Kitchen drain rough in just a little too high

Update: I got shallower strainer baskets. Not great quality, but I gave the client the option of better baskets and plastic plumbing or shallower baskets and metal drains. She chose metal drains. Had about 1/8" to spare.
  3. Steve Zerby

If I cut that t-fitting as short as I can I still wind up too low by about 3/4”. I can reverse the j-bend like the Dearborn plastic one does, but then there is very little tailpiece going into the inlet side of j. See photo. Why would making the strainer connection a slip fitting not be...
  4. Steve Zerby

I’m installing a double-bowl kitchen sink with a dishwasher inlet and the drain rough-in is about 3/4” too high for the p-trap outflow when I make the flanged DW tailpiece as short as it can be and then add the side inlet piece for the other sink bowl. I saw the post here about the reversing...
  5. Steve Zerby

Slip couplings for 2” PVC?

I was thinking something that relied on glue for the seal would be better than clamps.This is going to be buried in cellulose insulation and would hate for it to ever fail. I don’t find anything that is a solid PVC slip coupling...all I see is compression gizmos. If I have to go with clamps I...
  6. Steve Zerby

Slip couplings for 2” PVC?

I have a situation where I have to replace a small section of 2” PVC and there is no movement ability in the pipe run. What is the best way to make this connection? Is there such a thing as a 2” PVC slip coupler? I can’t find anything online. So I’m thinking I need to use Fernco or no-hub...
  7. Steve Zerby

Freeze-proof piping design for multi-head shower

I was wondering about the loops, but that’s what Moen shows in their literature. I was asking a plumber that I have used in the past about it (he’s too busy for my little job now) and he says the important thing is to have the two sprays be equidistant from T if you don’t use loops. I don’t mind...
  8. Steve Zerby

Ok, so I’m ready to start assembling and soldering the shower valve setup for this double shower, and I’m wondering how best to deal with the threaded adapters everywhere and relatively tight quarters. I’m trying to keep the spacing on the fittings on grid with the 4 x 8 subway tile layout, so...
  9. Steve Zerby

Hi folks, I'm installing a two-person shower where each station has multiple body sprays, a handheld shower and a regular fixed showerhead. Moen 3/4" exact-temp valves...same as attached diagram but with two body sprays rather than four. I was planning on piping all the in-wall stuff with...
  10. Steve Zerby

Unusual faucet washer, can't find

Here is an angle where you can see down into the recess where the screw head goes. See the metal at the bottom of the recess? That's a moulded-in metal washer.
  11. Steve Zerby

Unusual faucet washer, can't find

I have a clawfoot tub faucet and riser set that I got about 20 years ago from Baths From the Past, now out of business, that came with very unusual washers that I've not been able to find anywhere. The are lipped and fit into a recessed cup at the end of the threaded valve stem. They are about...
  12. Steve Zerby

linear drains and waterproofing systems: paranoia? mix and match? overkill? K.I.S.S.?

Hi, folks, I'm doing a 32x54 (34x56 RO) curbed shower with a bench all across one of the short walls and a linear drain up against the face of the bench. I would like the shower drain grate to run wall-to wall. I'm using 1x1 mosaic tiles. Laticrete's Hydroban 34x66 linear pre-sloped pan...
  13. Steve Zerby

How much romex in 2" PVC conduit from 1st floor to 2nd floor?

Well I'm definitely learning things here. This is a marvelous forum. I am taking all of the information to heart. Sorry if I developed some attitude, but this passage just set me off a little: It seemed to presume that I don't know what I'm doing as a contractor. One of the things that has...
  14. Steve Zerby

How much romex in 2" PVC conduit from 1st floor to 2nd floor?

Don't make assumptions. When you do you just...well, you know the rest... This is an almost 200 year old timberframe structure that I've been working on in dribs and drabs for the last 20 years. I was being tounge-in-cheek when I said I might go up another story, but the upstairs is 12 feet to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks