Search results

1. DC Newbie

Carlyle II - Distance to Wall?

Alright so I got lazy, and let plumbers who are working in my house on a different project go ahead and install the toilet. It fit like a charm...not sure why the first plumber didn't figure it out.
  2. DC Newbie

Thanks for both the recent responses. To answer your question, Terry, the radiator is only about 6 inches high. I wasn't there when the plumber tried the install, but after reading everyone's input and doing my own measurements to confirm, it seems that he basically only tried to install with...
  3. DC Newbie

Perhaps the Drake might be a better option - schematics show it sits 1 5/8" from the wall.
  4. DC Newbie

Hi Terry, Thanks for the quick response! The answer is yes, I think? Because it is a 14 inch rough in, I did order the 14 inch unifit adapter to bring the toilet closer to the wall. I think you are saying that the standard 12 inch adapter would give me 2.5", which should be enough to clear...
  5. DC Newbie

Replacing an old toilet with a 14 inch rough-in in a small powder room. The original toilet I chose, the Toto Nexus, did not fit because of the old cast iron baseboard heat, which sticks out 1.25 inches. Plumber recommended a non-skirted design to ensure it fits. Carlyle II seems like a good...
  6. DC Newbie

Problem Removing Old Faucet Cartridge

Bingo, that did the trick! Thanks so much. Ended up able to extract the cartridge without removing the rest of the fixture.
  7. DC Newbie

Problem Removing Old Faucet Cartridge

Bathroom faucet developed a slow drip recently, and I found that the cold side would not shut off and also had extremely low flow. No idea how long ago, if ever, the cartridge was replaced, but it seems like the culprit. This is an American Standard faucet. I am having no luck removing the...
  8. DC Newbie

Utility Sink Faucet With No Threads

Great, thanks for the suggestion!
  9. DC Newbie

Utility Sink Faucet With No Threads

I have an old utility sink faucet that I'd like to attach a garden hose adapter to - the only problem is that the faucet has no male or female threads. Is there an adapter of some kind that could slide over or inside the faucet? Or am I stuck replacing the whole thing? It's an old house, and...
  10. DC Newbie

Slow Leak Below Sink Drain

Dangit, I just realized I forgot to put a bead of silicone between the vanity top and the vanity itself, before I secured the drain...guess I need to undo my work.
  11. DC Newbie

Thanks Terry, that did the trick!
  12. DC Newbie

In the process of installing the bathroom sink drain and p-trap I posted about earlier, and ran into an issue with a slow drip that occurs between the silicone washer and brass nut underneath the sink drain. I have tightened the heck out of it, to the point where I'm concerned that I could...
  13. DC Newbie

Water Under Toilet - Oops

Great, thanks. The bathroom has a ceiling heat lamp, which I've turned on. Should help speed things up. Humidity is generally pretty low too.
  14. DC Newbie

Water Under Toilet - Oops

So while reinstalling an old toilet, I screwed up bolting the tank to the bowl, so when I tried a trial flush...water went everywhere. I've figured out the proper way to put the bolts on, fortunately, but my concern is that I had not yet caulked around the toilet bowl on the floor, so water...
  15. DC Newbie

New Vanity w/ Funky P Trap "bottle trap"

Ok, thanks a lot. I figured I was being smart in testing the connection ahead of time. Go figure.
  16. DC Newbie

Unfortunately I could not get the tubular trap arm inside the old trap adapter, not matter how hard I tried. So I cut it out and am now attempting to replace with a new 1.5" trap adapter. Problem I've run into is the darn thing fits so tight on the wall drain that I can't push it all the way...
  17. DC Newbie

Yep, you did, I just wasn't sure why I couldn't reuse the adapter if it was the same size as the new p-trap.
  18. DC Newbie

So I pulled the elbow out, and ran into a new problem. The nice shiny new 1.5" p trap I picked up at a plumbing store today does not fit with the adapter on the drain pipe...which is odd because it clearly says 1.5" too. I can tell there are a few very slight aberrations in the circular...
  19. DC Newbie

So I loosely attached the sink drain assembly, and per the attached picture, it's about 3.25" from the bottom of the tail pipe to the middle of the PVC drain pipe. The tail pipe is about 4.5" away from the drain pipe, horizontally, although the depth is hard to see at this angle. I'm...
  20. DC Newbie

Great, thanks Jim! This offers a ray of hope then - the sink's tail pipe can work with other commonly sized plumbing supplies. I'm going to install the sink's pop-up and tail pipe tonight, which should give me a better of sense of how much vertical and horizontal space I have to line a p trap...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks