Search results

1. MushCreek

Threaded pipe leaks

I just pressurized the supply in my new house. All the PEX is tight and dry, but the threaded connections are leaking, as usual. For each fixture, I used a drop-ear elbow with a threaded pipe nipple and a stop valve. Out of 11 such fittings, 4 of them leak where the stop valve connects to the...
  2. MushCreek

Proper water heater installation?

I'm working the rest of my way through my plumbing (new house), and I'm hooking up an electric water heater. My question concerns the T&P valve outlet and drain pan. The WH is in an unfinished (for now) basement. Since I'd like to eventually finish the basement, I'm putting the WH in a drain pan...
  3. MushCreek

PEX stop valves?

I'm running my PEX, and need (or want) shut-off valves at many locations, such as sinks and toilets. I have used a drop-ear elbow, plus a piece of pipe, plus a chrome stop valve. I see that they sell chrome stop valves that you connect the PEX directly to, but I don't see what keeps the valve...
  4. MushCreek

Testing complete DWV system?

The DWV system is in and complete, and I'm assuming the inspector will want to see a pressure test. When I had the underground work done, the plumber put about 20 psi(!) in the system and left it for the inspector, who I don't even think looked at it. I've since learned that 20 PSI is way too...
  5. MushCreek

Will a seldom used trap dry up?

In our new house, I am building a basement bathroom which will only see light use. I'm putting in a bath tub because I feel there should be one in the house. The master bath only has a shower. The tub may NEVER get used. At the least, it could go a year or better without use. Can the trap dry...
  6. MushCreek

Reliable heat pump water heater?

Does anyone know of a reliable heat pump water heater? These things sound like a dream come true- use the ambient heat to make hot water. Payback is as little as 2-3 years. Our basement would be ideal, with temps ranging from 60-80 degrees year-round. The problem is that the reviews are...
  7. MushCreek

What is considered plumbing rough-in?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I really appreciate the help! My next inspection is plumbing rough-in, and I was wondering if there is a generally accepted definition. When I did my barn, they inspected the under slab work, but by the time I had the plumbing rough-in, everything was done and...
  8. MushCreek

Where to connect lav in basement bathroom?

In working out my DWV system, I need to add any fittings I will need for a future basement bathroom. I had a plumber do the under-slab DWV, and rough-out stubs for a full bath. What I don't see is how/where to connect the lav. In the picture, starting from the left is the tub (with the yellow...
  9. MushCreek

Where to put clean-outs?

Thanks to the patient help of the guys on here, I think I pretty much have my DWV for my new house figured out. The one thing that concerns me is clean-outs. The main 3" branch will hang below the joists in the basement, but I connected several 2" branches by rolling a combi up 45 degrees so the...
  10. MushCreek

New construction DWV system

Hi! New guy here. There seem to be plenty of experts on this forum, and I'm hoping I can get a review on my DWV for a new house I'm building. I'm way past DYI; I'll tackle anything. I have 3 books on plumbing, and they all seem to differ. The local inspectors just give things a quick glance, so...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks