Search results

1. Hunter01

Hot electrical box

No ground other than the AC sheathing. I found this situation when I plugged in a trouble light with a metal cover and went to hang it up on the shower. Zap! Tripped the breaker for the circuit. Not phantom voltage. Will have to remove the box and, unfortunately others connected by the...
  2. Hunter01

Hot electrical box

220 V sub panel
  3. Hunter01

Hot electrical box

Eaton main panel (200 A), Cutler Hammer sub-panel (100 A), 100 A feed from the main. Not sure how old either the main or sub panels are, but definitely re-wired. Old main would have been fuses. Wall box is hot unless you turn off the breaker for that circuit or the feed in the main panel.
  4. Hunter01

Whole house surge protectors

What happened to the thread that was titled something like "Whole house surge protectors - and why you might want one"?? It disappeared.
  5. Hunter01

Power Panel Surge Suppression and Why You Might Want One

I'm 'of the age' where I live in a condo and don't foresee a need for more circuits at this time. Was kind of disappointed to have a full 100 amp panel, but otherwise liked the condo.
  6. Hunter01

Power Panel Surge Suppression and Why You Might Want One

I have an Eaton 100 amp panel built into a wall and it has no open slots. I've installed a surge protector before, but haven't been able to find one for the Eaton box which doubles as breakers so I could replace two of the breakers with the surge protection also. Suggestions?
  7. Hunter01

Hot electrical box

Thank you for the response. Don't know if I was descriptive enough in initial posting. At the outlet box in the wall the metal box tests 118v to the neutral wire. In other words, both the hot wire (black) and the box itself are at 120v to neutral. Somehow, the metal sheath has to be making...
  8. Hunter01

Hot electrical box

100 year old house wired with AC/BX. Seems to be BX wired all the way back to the (current) breaker box. At the electric box, if the circuit is energized, the metal box is hot, but the armored cable at the breaker box is at ground. Almost has to be a break in the BX shielding, right? The...
  9. Hunter01

Wrapping for looks

What can I wrap my refrigerant tubes on a mini-split with to make them look better? They are, already, of course, insulated, but 10' on the outside wall doesn't look good. Impossible to fit the existing corners with pre-formed plastic/vinyl covers.
  10. Hunter01

Home Security

Not sure where to post this, but have received great advice on other topics here, so here goes: I'd like to install a local (no connection to the police/fire) alarm system in my house. One that would detect movement inside the house and sound an alarm. Any advice on a good system; one that's...
  11. Hunter01

Basement drain (Backwater valve?)

I just found out that my house is the lowest one on our particular sewer line going to the main line. That means if the line gets plugged (like it did last Friday) between here and the main, sewage backs up into my basement first! Is there a reliable valve I could install in my 3" PVC...
  12. Hunter01

Exposed copper pipe to pedestal lav

Yes, it is a floor supplied sink, and it is the pipe from the floor to the shut-off valve. It was plumbed (at least the plans called for) a pedestal sink. I don't mind the floor supply, because it is on a north outside wall, and with the winter we've had this year, I don't worry about...
  13. Hunter01

Exposed copper pipe to pedestal lav

The plumber who plumbed my house left about 16" of exposed copper pipe visible to the side and behind the pedestal sink in the bathroom (visible from almost anywhere in the bathroom). Does someone make some type of cover for the pipe so I don't have to have the sink re-plumbed, but make it look...
  14. Hunter01

Retrofit existing fixture for motion detecting

OK, nothing is ever easy - Did a little checking on the Heath/Zenith unit and the control box requires a 4" electrical box in the wall for mounting (size requirements). Mine, of course, has a shallow round box - no room. Any other specific recommendations? May have to go with new fixtures...
  15. Hunter01

Thanks for the quick response. I looked the the site and wondered if the wire between the sensor and box has to be enclosed somehow - conduit or similar?
  16. Hunter01

Does someone make a retrofit kit for existing outdoor light fixtures? I'm looking to make two of my six outdoor lights (matching design) into motion detecting mode (dusk to dawn). Tried a search on this site and a search for products without much success (Did find one for $65 - could easily...
  17. Hunter01

Heating small cottage

Well, the reply is somewhat embarassing, but here goes - On the lines (electrical) which connect the indoor and outdoor units, I crossed the power lines. Polarity matters in the ability of the two units to 'talk' to one another, so it's important to not just supply power to the indoor unit, but...
  18. Hunter01

Heating small cottage

Dana - I emailed Fujitsu's tech service dept and they came up with the answer in their first try! Something I could do myself. So, as of this afternoon, we're making heat 'out of thin air'!!! It's awesome! My son and I are in your debt. If you ever need advice on human resources, carpenter...
  19. Hunter01

Heating small cottage

Well, I tried this yesterday, but it apparently didn't post, so here goes, again: So, I bought a Fujitsu 15RLS2H system and did 90% of the installation myself. Yesterday, I had a HVAC guy come over and connect the line set, vacuum the lines, and release the refrigerant. (Things I thought I...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks