Search results

1. Arsinek

Whats the difference between thin-set mortar and latex mastic? Whats more common?

After looking around it looks like I want to use thinset. Mastic apparently isnt supposed to be used where theres high amounts of moisture.
  2. Arsinek

Whats the difference between thin-set mortar and latex mastic? Whats more common?

So Im about to start cutting my cement board and I came across something that said use the rough side of the board for thinset mortar and use the smooth side for latex mastic. I havent bought my tile and supplies yet so I dont know what Im going to be using. Whats the difference between thin-set...
  3. Arsinek

How big, if any, should the gaps be between cement board when using for tile backer?

I found this on Durocks website "Fit ends and edges of panels closely but not forced together."
  4. Arsinek

How big, if any, should the gaps be between cement board when using for tile backer?

I saw someone saying you should have gaps between your pieces of cement board when using it for a tile backer. Is this true? If so how big should the gaps be? Also will the gap be the same size if its a cement board to drywall seam?
  5. Arsinek

Whats this adhesive plastic this guy is using in this video?

Now that looks doable. After looking up that Nashua tape stuff, its like $300! Course for its intended use it might not be a bad price.
  6. Arsinek

Whats this adhesive plastic this guy is using in this video?

Id like to try this adhesive plastic this guy is using in this video. Its black and hes using it to cover the flange on a shower pan. Any idea on what it is? Who makes it? What the product name is? He talks about it at like the 45 sec mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psf9cnYoVts
  7. Arsinek

Roofing nail for bathtub install, rust?

Lol, thats pretty funny. Well, I went with some electro galvanized I already had. Went to Lowes looking for aluminum ones and they didnt seem to have any, had the guy in hardware look too. Itll probably be fine, Im just obsessive compulsive a little.
  8. Arsinek

Well that sounds like I need to go with an aluminum nail than.
  9. Arsinek

Ive seen a lot of instructions saying to use roofing nails to nail the tub flange to the wall. But I thought I saw some talk somewhere on the web about roofing nails rusting. Is this true, will the roofing nails rust? If so what should I use instead?
  10. Arsinek

Cement board dilemma...

So in my bathroom renovation Im retiling the tub surround, this is in a townhouse which has 5/8 drywall. Im having a hard time finding 5/8 cement board for tile backer. The tub surround shares walls with the rest of the bath so I figured get the same thickness backerboard for a seamless...
  11. Arsinek

Where to mount shower valve?

I know you mount it with the plaster ground flush to the finish surface but how am I supposed to tell where that is considering the finish surface isnt there? Ill be using 5/8 Durock and I dont know what tile yet, something under 12 inches. Is there some sort of process to do this?
  12. Arsinek

New bathtub creaks when standing in it

Ok, then I think I need to remove the main stringer and lower it so its just off the tub. What about placing the tub in a mortar bed? Do you do that with tubs that have a styrofoam base?
  13. Arsinek

Nothing has been mounted permanently except the stringers. Im thinking the stringers might be the problem. The floor is concrete slab. I noticed when I pulled the tub off the stringers and stood in it it didnt creak. I think the left end of the stringer is ever so slightly lower than the right...
  14. Arsinek

This is a tub with styrofoam base. It only does it when you step on the back end. I noticed the stringer I put for the back doesnt make contact with the tub but Im not sure if I was supposed to put a stringer for the back anyway. Its a steel tub. With tubs with styrofoam are you not supposed to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks