Search results

1. JohnnyO

Resin replacement - re-use old gravel? Some old resin stuck to it

I got it figured out. A small flat water container helped me get it all settled out.
  2. JohnnyO

Resin replacement - re-use old gravel? Some old resin stuck to it

Greetings, I'm replacing the resin in my water softener. Currently I've got 15 pounds of gravel. I tried to rinse it out as best I could, but there is some (a couple handfuls?) of old resin mixed in with the gravel. Is it OK to use that, or will that small amount of old resin cause issues...
  3. JohnnyO

Low water pressure - Fleck 7000 SXT

Thanks for the info. I'll check the resin in the next couple of days.
  4. JohnnyO

Thanks for that suggestion. I watch a bunch of YouTube for various hobbies, but it didn't cross my mind for this process!
  5. JohnnyO

There is a bit of a chlorine smell - but I've lived in this house for 30 years, and I'm sure I'm used to the smell. Looking at my initial order, this is what I received as far as resin: Softening Resin (1.5 cuft): NSF Approved High Capacity Cation 8% Crosslink Softening Resin (Imported) Any...
  6. JohnnyO

Turns out -- back in 2013 I noted which installation manuals I used, right here in the forum! That covers me on the details of installation, but I'd still be glad for any advice on other steps to try first. One of the manuals refers to cleaning the injector - which I've never done. Perhaps...
  7. JohnnyO

Greetings all, I've had my Fleck 7000 SXT-based water softener for about 7.5 years now. I installed it in April 2013 after advice from here and others. Over the last few days my wife and I noticed reduced water pressure -- especially noticeable when running a faucet and flushing a toilet...
  8. JohnnyO

New shower enclosure leaks at wall / base

Just to follow-up. I let it dry for 40 hours with a fan running on it, cleaned out the existing (very small) bead of silicone caulk between the glass and the bottom rails. I re-caulked with a larger bead of caulk, making sure it sealed from edge to edge. I let that dry for 36 hours. Since...
  9. JohnnyO

Thanks for the info. The glass installer I spoke with suggested that if it was a clean caulk line that I should first clean it, and try to caulk over it with a larger bead seeing that the caulk was relatively clean. If that doesn't work, he suggests I may have to disassemble the side walls and...
  10. JohnnyO

The masking tape has been working amazingly well, which pretty much confirms that the water is entering the rail by running down the glass. Even though it appears to be well caulked with silicone, when I cover up that area with the masking tape, I get no water leaking from the end of the bottom...
  11. JohnnyO

So after 5 more showers, complete with fresh 2" masking tape across the bottom of the glass on the two sides of the shower, I've had no more leaks from the corners. Of course, this isn't an ideal long term solution. :) So - should I just lay down another line of silicone caulk where the glass...
  12. JohnnyO

Thanks. I think I may need to get some close-ups, but here are some shots. I'm wondering if the water is coming in at the joints between the three bottom rail pieces as opposed to running down the glass and into the bottom rail.
  13. JohnnyO

For my first experiment, I ran strips of 2" masking tape along the glass sidewalls, covering the point where the glass enters the bottom rail. After a shower, I did not have water leaking as shown in the previous post. This was a quick and dirty test, and the edges were certainly not sealed...
  14. JohnnyO

Yes, indeed. Now the trick is to run enough water down the glass wall to see if it is getting past the silicone sealer down into the rail, or if it is coming from somewhere else (perhaps through the grout as suggested above). Thanks for the info. John
  15. JohnnyO

I have not ruled that out. I guess the next step is to try to spray the tile area without hitting the glass wall area and see what happens. Thanks for the idea. John
  16. JohnnyO

Greetings, I recently replaced (with help) an old shower enclosure with fiberglass rear surround for a glass-wall surround with tile against the walls. The Vigo unit was installed and caulked with silicone caulk per the instructions: - Inside between the side walls and the side seal...
  17. JohnnyO

Should I install the top distributor basket?

I installed mine. That was part of the the reason I downloaded and read installation instructions from 4 different sites. I was able to piece together the best. Some had great photos, some had decent programming directions, etc. Be gentle when setting the valve on the tank. You will feel...
  18. JohnnyO

Water Softener Questions

Ya dang well better post pictures when you are done. :)
  19. JohnnyO

Should I construct a bypass or use the bypass that came with my softener?

If you have the room, the time, and the skill/or skilled friends/professionals, I'd do both. That way, if you end up needing to change out the bypass on the 7000SXT, or moving to another softener in the future, etc., you can use the house bypass, and not have to turn off water to your whole...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks